Cogeco Cable in Canada now blocking even encrypted torrent connections

Optimus

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See if they cripple the connection if you're using only 2-4 half-open slots, 20 global connections, and 15 per torrent, with 2 torrents max, and 2-4 upload slots. It may simply be connection-based, as usually BitTorrent traffic has 50+ if not 100's of connections.

Make sure you're not uploading more than HALF your total upload speed max! You may have to go as low as 5 KB/sec to prevent the speed throttling kicking in. :(

I can upload fine to an IP on Cogeco's network and a couple other weird IPs, but that's about it. All the rest just drop off and die, so I'm uploading between 0 and 3KB/sec most of the time.

edit: Switeck, I tried.. nothing :(

It a bit of a long shot maybe, but ring them up and tell them to stop interferring with bit torrent. As an argument try saying that big companies use torrents for selling their goods.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=9552

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4753435.stm

You could even try emailing Warner Bros and letting them know that all your ISP's customers will not be able to buy Warner Bros goods and try to get them to speak to your ISP.

I wish you luck.

Try downloading a public torrnet WITHOUT the tracker. I mean, load the torrent in stopped mode, remove all trackers, enable DHT, force encryption both ways, and start it up.

If it's unthrottled now, the ISP probably digs out the peers IPs out of the tracker communication data. If still throttled - then it's either generic algorithm, for example throttling down any non-http traffic if multiple connections are being made, or it peeks at the DHT traffic as well.

To check if the DHT traffic being monitored you may try finding an SSL tracker and downloading a torrent from it, without DHT.

Oh my god... I got rogers and my naighbour got Execulink...

I did a test, with rogers i download at like 10kb max, with execulink i download at 30kb+.... Same nic and on top of all that Execulink is the 2mbits per sec... rogers is suppose to be 5mbits per sec... I'm sooo cancelling rogers.

Actually, I think that Net Neutrality is the thing that insists BT should be allowed through like HTTP, and the ISPs are fighting against Net Neutrality, so they can be cheap. Soon, our FTP DLs would be restricted in the name of "fairness to other users" if we let these little (rather big) turds continue.

On Cogeco at least, port 1720 was throttled a few months ago.. after that, encryption did the trick.. now nothing works.

same thing. try this out secureix.com i am about to try it now. everyone on dslreports says it works.

secureIX doesnt work for me. after i register it cant connect. god dam cable companies. figure out a way to get around this throttling. And change the name of your thread to rogers and cogeco so we get more people's attention on this topic. post in azerues and bit comet forums to. lets beat them.

Archived