uTorrent won't let me browse what files I wanna download

Lugtepik

Hello.

This problem has first begun to occur lately... Before when I had downloaded a torrent uT would open a browser which would allow me to select folders and files I would want to download and what folder the files should be downloaded to. Now when I download a torrent it just automatically starts and puts it in a random folder..I can't select which files I wanna download and this annoys me greatly.

What the H has happened?

• 9 months later...

I have build 3.1 26616. (This issue has been addressed in numerious posts and the basic problem is people failing to understand what is being said.)

So lets try this one more time. In order to see the dialog box you MUST have "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent in advanced mode" checked in the Preferences -> UI settings.

That will allow the dialog box titled <name of torrent> "Add New Torrent" to appear. You may need check "Don't start the download automatically". (Logically I would think that if you wanted to display the dialog box - that in itself should mean you "Don't start the download automatically". Conversely if you do NOT select "Don't start the download automatically", that would mean you do not want to see the dialog box. I have the "Don't start ... " checked, with the "Show a ...." and I get the dialog box all the time. )

The basic screen simply has a "Save As" <location>, a "Don't show this again" which should uncheck the "Show a window ......". Below the "Don't show this again" is a down arrow. Press it with you mouse and a detailed view of the contents, and the ability go into advanced features. Once you have expanded the dialog box to show detail, it will always show detail.

Another way you can chose not to download is to select the torrent on the main screen, go to the files tab below, select the file(s) you do not want to download, right-click and select "Don't Download" from the menu.

I hope this puts this issue to rest - at last.

At the top right of uTorrent there is a little button that has three large dots in front of three thick green bars, if you put your cursor on it then it will say "Toggle torrent view", you need to click this, it will then change into four thin green lines, This has caused problems for so many people that it would be better if the default option was to show the files and deselect if you don't want to, rather than this way around.

I have build 3.1 26616. (This issue has been addressed in numerious posts and the basic problem is people failing to understand what is being said.)

So lets try this one more time. In order to see the dialog box you MUST have "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent in advanced mode" checked in the Preferences -> UI settings.

That will allow the dialog box titled <name of torrent> "Add New Torrent" to appear. You may need check "Don't start the download automatically". (Logically I would think that if you wanted to display the dialog box - that in itself should mean you "Don't start the download automatically". Conversely if you do NOT select "Don't start the download automatically", that would mean you do not want to see the dialog box. I have the "Don't start ... " checked, with the "Show a ...." and I get the dialog box all the time. )

The basic screen simply has a "Save As" <location>, a "Don't show this again" which should uncheck the "Show a window ......". Below the "Don't show this again" is a down arrow. Press it with you mouse and a detailed view of the contents, and the ability go into advanced features. Once you have expanded the dialog box to show detail, it will always show detail.

Another way you can chose not to download is to select the torrent on the main screen, go to the files tab below, select the file(s) you do not want to download, right-click and select "Don't Download" from the menu.

I hope this puts this issue to rest - at last.

Many users have done that, including myself, and it's still not working.

There is clearly another issue that people here have not been able to identify.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to download today, only to find out i had the same problem as you all are stating..I spent a few hours troubleshooting...running Utorrent in different compatibility modes and even uninstalling recently installed windows updates to see if there was a conflict. None of that worked...btw i have Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit.. anyway after hours of trying different things, I discovered that when i clicked on the magnet link i.e http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6943389/The_Double_2011_DVDScr_XviD-WarrLord ("GET This Torrent") It would bring me to the download ques but show no files to select. It always says Size: 0. B and Date: 12/31/1969 7:00 PM. That goes for any torrent when i click the magnet link.

Now for the Solution: If i don't click the magnet link (the torrent link with the little magnet next to it) and instead click the ("Get Torrentfile") >click open and Whala its working perfect! size, date, & time all correct along with showing me all files and allowing me to deselect the crap i don't want! to make this process quicker after clicking ("Get Torrentfile") also check the box at the bottom "Always do this in future" or something to that extent.:D

Both links used to work but i think it has something to do with Win7 and the newer versions of utorrent.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello.

This problem has first begun to occur lately... Before when I had downloaded a torrent uT would open a browser which would allow me to select folders and files I would want to download and what folder the files should be downloaded to. Now when I download a torrent it just automatically starts and puts it in a random folder..I can't select which files I wanna download and this annoys me greatly.

What the H has happened?

after hours of searching the web and trying everything, iv figured it out. its the new magnet urls that are causing this. most torrent sites are moving to this new method of torrenting because its faster and eliminates the middle man.. i havent figured out although if thers a way to view data inside a magnet url torrent.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys I think I might have found a possible remedy

I came across a post on the internet whilst searching but I'll be damned to remember the link. However credits to them

Problem:

Since the Piratebay has removed the "download torrent file" option and left only "Magnet Link" I was not able to select individual files to download within a torrent

Symptom:

After downloading the file on the utorrent pop-up window I was seeing blank "using advanced option" thereby forced to download the entire torrent content

Remedy:

1. Download the torrent file you want and leave it to download until it hits 0.001% or thereabouts

2. Make sure you select the torrent file in question

3. On the bottom of the utorrent window select the "File" tab (is next to a string of tabs "File, Info, Peers, etc)

4. Once on the "File" tab you will be able to see all the individual files of the torrent in question

5. Now right-click the individual file you don't want to download and select "Don't Download"

Cheers

Shpirtshqipe

Archived