Internet keeps disconnecting

nasht00

In what seemed like a random pattern, my Internet sometimes completely disconnects.

By that I mean I cannot access any website, I can't ping, etc ... However my wifi says I'm connected.

The only fix is to restart my modem/router.

After a few trials, I realized that this ONLY happens when I'm running uTorrent.

Anyone has ideas of why this happens and how to fix it?

My router is the Fonera 2N. I have TimeWarner Cable in California.

I have a MacBook Pro. Running the latest uTorrent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi nasht00,

Maybe this can help you:

I just found out today that internet connection can be a problem when certain torrents are downloading or seeding. I had a large torrent active (over 30 GB) and the connection always failed after about 10 minutes, resulting in resetting router and/or modem. The only way I could finish it was by directly connecting my MBP to the modem (by ethernet cable).

I removed it from the list and now there's no problem.

Took me about 3 weeks to figure it out, I even bought a new router, but got my old one connected right now.

So, maybe you have a very large torrent active or a suspicious one (with very,very large seed/peer numbers) ??

I hope this helps and then I am 100% sure (instead of the 98% right now :) )

• 6 months later...

I've been having the same problem. Unfortunately, since my internet is provided by my landlord (because he doesn't want to run any cables), connecting via ethernet is not an option. I'm hoping this idea works. I just stopped and/or removed all the torrents that were added the day this started acting up, and I'm going to restart the rest one by one to see if something else might be causing issues.

Will keep you updated.

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem after using utorrent trouble-free for years. Some days utorrent would work fine and on others it would disconnect my PC from the internet every five minutes. I could fix it temporarily by rebooting the modem but it would always came back.

After a few days I checked the Windows Event Viewer log and saw an error just before each disconnection that the name "local tracker" had timed out because none of the configured DNS servers had responded. Then figured it must be this so looked in in the queued torrents and found http://local.tracker:80/announce in some of them and that they were all marked as hostname not found. I deleted this tracker from all the torrents that had it listed and I've not lost a connection since.

I don't know why it suddenly started to disconnect me, perhaps someone with more knowledge of utorrent can explain, but two things are likely culprits: a few weeks ago I changed my DNS server to google and coincidentally started to use a new torrent site. All the torrents containing the bad tracker came from this site. I didn't test to see if only one bad torrent tracker was enough to disconnect me or if i needed a few downloading at the same time

Archived