Encryption Not working after May 1st on Rogers

HyperXX

i have been using 1720 on rogers for a long time with encrption enabled and it worked great. i could always get over 250 kb/s and always uploaded at my max. now i can barely break 10 kb/s. they have done something new. i have no option except 1.5 mbs DSL which isnt good enough for me.

Use a port above 30,000.

Set Encryption to "forced" & uncheck "allow incoming legacy connections."

Rodger's newer dirty trick is dropping tracker connections. So you need some type of proxy or secure connection for tracker communication, let the encryption handle connections to other peers.

Use a port above 30,000.

Set Encryption to "forced" & uncheck "allow incoming legacy connections."

Rodger's newer dirty trick is dropping tracker connections. So you need some type of proxy or secure connection for tracker communication, let the encryption handle connections to other peers.

I'm sorry, but I'm really a noob and I'm curious, who/what is Rodger?

so are you saying have http tracker encrypted?

Yes, some users of Rodgers have been able to restore their speeds using a secure proxy for tracker communications.

I'm sorry, but I'm really a noob and I'm curious, who/what is Rodger?

They're a Canadian ISP that for some reason is trying to kill all p2p traffic. To them it doesn't matter if it's legal or not.

I'm on Rogers and I've noticed that if I put my upload to the max, they kill the connection every 10 mins on average and then I have to go into my settings and change the port each time. My max upload on my cable is 50kb and all I did was lower the max upload to 40kb and now it barely disconnects. Only 2 or 3 times in the past week. Now I can browse and upload.

I also lowered max connections from 400 to 180, peers per torrent to 90 and max active torrents to 2.

I also have Rogers and hate it totally. If it were up to me I would switch but my parents work pays for Rogers so I get it free.

Anywho, 1720 appears to be a popular port but to my knowledge it's not as fast as it used to be, Rogers did something. Right now i'm using 1755 and I believe it's better.

Could somebody please go into detail about using a proxy for tracker communications?

there are many legit uses for BT so why not call and complain that you cannot download those NASA images or a linux ISO because they are blocking it and just keep bitching on them. If enough people do it they may stop. Or just switch to Sympatico or simular.

I would love to sue them but my moms work provides us and her company with Rogers for free, so that wouldn't work out well.

I hope somebody sues Rogers though, they are the devil.

Edit: On the topic of Rogers being a bitch; I have a red bubble on Utorrent and my port is forwarded properly, I was downloading at 400kbps yesterday and have changed nothing since then.

Under network settings, I have protocol encryption set to forced, and "allow incoming legacy connections" unchecked. Is this right?

I doubt Rogers can throttle Encrypted BT, without throttling all encrypted connections or limiting the amount of connections one can make. Hyper, calm down and see this through as I'm sure either scenario wouldn't fly with there Business customers. My prediction is that they are doing this as a temporary solution, and to a very limited amount of people as the outcry has not been far reaching as last time was. Also last I checked DOS'ing is forbidden in the eua you signed when becoming a Rogers user. Finally, for your sake make sure it isn't an issue with your computer like portforwarding, or a firewall, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived