ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

I see that you have intension of charging money in the near future for this type of service. I was wondering what would happen if big companies or perhaps the R*AA people are storming into your server. What happens then? Also' date=' what would happen to us after the beta period?[/quote']

I'm unsure what "storming into your server" means. I've dealt with subpoenas and DMCA issues before. It's not a big deal. The DMCA provides a reasonable amount of protection for the ISP.

As for the end of the beta period, I'm unsure if/what/when. I've always been a fan of offering a free "lite" versions.

ok... I'm pleased to hear about lite versions since I'm already paying around 45 dollars per a month just for cable access. If it's going to charge me a whole lot more, I rather just switch isps instead.

My second question will now be "If you say that the connection is protected, does this mean we don't need peer guardian 2 or any types of programs related to that?" Will I be still be prone to attacks from R*AA?" What I ment in the last question was, what if they say they "suspect" your server of providing services that bypass ISP filters which supports illegal downloads and decides shut down your server or even more scan your server?

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasnt gonna post this, but someone else touched on the subject. Anyway:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=53793#p53793

Like I mentioned earlier, it got me banned from the pink pig. But that demon dude had no problem with it, as some other private sites. It still allowed me to upload, keep my ratio decent and contribute to the site til I was up n running normally again.

They have this "ratio hack" ban there. Without letting me explain myself, they assumed I was cheating cuz I had ratios of over 14.00, 6.00, 5.00 (cant remember the actual ratios, these are just examples) on some torrents I had loaded up in one day. By stopping the file(s) near completion, I was still listed at leecher, too. I guess it looked screwy to em, so they gave me the boot.

Sometimes I dont like giving out this way to bypass ISP throttling cuz of me n my Oink experience. All I can say is use at ur own risk and use sparingly til u can find a better solution. But please dont use it at Oink unless u wanna get banned

My second question will now be "If you say that the connection is protected, does this mean we don't need peer guardian 2 or any types of programs related to that?" Will I be still be prone to attacks from R*AA?" What I ment in the last question was, what if they say they "suspect" your server of providing services that bypass ISP filters which supports illegal downloads and decides shut down your server or even more scan your server?

You can think of our service as a proxy server with encryption. We don't control or modify your data in any way. Anything you download/upload is just passed through. If someone sends you bad data you still get bad data with or without the VPN.

As for someone "scaning" our server, it isn't even an issue. We don't host anything. Our server doesn't serve anything. It acts like a router and just forwards packets. It never stores anything. There isn't anything to scan.

Encryption is NOT helping at on for SureWest. They have shut it down to 0kbs to 2kbs. I've been at 0 kb/s for two days. All ports test open. The encryption seems to do nothing at all.

What could they be doing that does not block the port, but stops BT traffic, even with encryption?

I tried to download the OOo torrent. Tracker connects and all, and it shows 174 peers 0 seeds, but 0kbs download, and the peers tab is totally empty.

Is this some kind of new throttle/block?

I see some comments that Shaw does traffic shaping - I'm in Calgary and just got their SOHO package installed on Wednesday and so far, absolutely no indication of any shaping going on. OO torrent downloaded at an average of 770kB/s and is uploading at a steady 80kB/s (because I have my uploads capped @ 80kB/s).

If they are shaping, they aren't doing it in my neighborhood :)

The same goes for Telus DSL here in Calgary - no shaping there either.

I find mouse's SecureIX works for me on ROgers Hi-Speed Extreme, but i also notice the connection is broken when it goes into Screensaver and moves to screen where you select accounts :) You basically have to restart the connection every time you get into your own account....that's only if you have more than one account on your WindowsXP.

I shall attempt to make the necessary changes to keep the connection ON cause it really seems to work for me. Tested with downloading Open Office and it went at 200kb/s (i personally limited it) for the duration of the 90+mb download as opposed to getting shifting speeds between 0-10.

Cheers and thanks to Mouse for the temp. solution and to all of you for helping with your insightful posts!

Ive tried using secureIX and it works to an extent... doesnt get me the speed i used to get before throttling started but so far i'd rather stay with secureix than do without it..

however.. i wonder how good the lite version of that service will be...

i was going through download.com and i found this software called ghost surf or something like that

this software claims to encrypt internet connections too... i dont really understand this throttling buisness fully.... can one of you guys who understand all this a lot better check this software out and tell us if it'll work just as good as secureix? heres the link

http://www.download.com/GhostSurf-2006-Platinum/3000-2144_4-10506254.html?tag=gs_ex_img

its a one time buy thing.. 50 bucks.. though its a lot... if it can bypass rogers throttling.. then i think its well worth every penny.. secureix seems to work good too.. but i dont think the lite edition theyre talking about will be any good.. why buy the real edition when lite works right? theres definitely a catch

i sure did... the encryption dont seem to help... i've left it open for a whole night only to see 0.9% percent of the file completed that was about 2gb.. so i am guessing it didnt do the trick.. the torrent had atleast 20 seeds.

i almost gave up all hope until i found 3web cable internet... it seems there is not one dsl service out there (besides f rogers) that provides service in my area.. anyhow.. ive been doing some research on 3web and it seems it borrows bandwidth from some other major player.. either rogers or bell.. can someone confirm which one? because if its rogers.. iam guessing the capping wont stop.. if its bell i might just hit the jackpot.... theyre giving out an impossible deal right now...3 months for 9.99 and then 26 odd dollars there on for 6mb line !! i hope this is not spamming..

fidon.. one last question.. once utorrrent goes stable with the encryption ... will it guarantee better speeds or something? because i am worried rogers will eventually figure a way out to cap it.

thanks man

salem

rogers is already working around the clock to block these so called "encryption systems".... By the time they release a working version there is a possiblity it will be blocked already.

The encrpytion system however, only works if all people uploading and download change their clients to the latest version of BitComet, utorrent, or Azerus... only the latest version of these clients will support encrpytion system. Both sides (host and client) must have this system to encode and decode the packets. So we need a mass amount of people updating version which majority didn't do so yet.

I've heard rumours from other forums that rogers will be shipping in new hardware that will allow them to fine-tune internet bandwidth giving them max flexiblity. They will check for any encrypted packets and just throttle it which in the future, encryption will no longer work.

For now, I find that SecuireIX gives me a fair speed. I have achieved 319 kb/sec max top speed on a torrent which is a new record for me since I've never reached that speed even with rogers before the throttling. I am pleased with the VPN network.

I am using Rogers and SecureIX works for me too, however, it will disconnect every 1-2 hr and I have to connect again manually. Is there a way to set it to always on? BTW, when does the SecureIX beta end and how much will it cost after?

Edit: It seems like ZoneAlarm is what causing all those disconnections, is there a way to configue ZoneAlarm for SecureIX?

:D:D:D:D:D

Juhhhuuuuuuuuuu!

1.5 encription rocks!

Shaw.ca throttles in my area, but NOT me anymore :)

Before up speed never went above 15 kb/s, now I saw it going to 65-75 kb/s...

I still have to see it going to max up (1 Mb/s or ~ 125 kb/s)

I hope it stays like this!

Cheers!

Archived