Logo (56kers beware)

ludde

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah but doesn't the µ in µTorrent mean micro? we're talking about the size of the program itself - very small. micro.

µ = micro, so why wouldn't it be the focus, since it's what separates it from all the rest of the bittorrent clients?

Simply because µTorrent is more known as "you"torrent than "micro"torrent. That's what happens when you put "µ" inside a circle and resize it small. People go, oh. that's a U. with tails. The domain name doesn't help much either. So we're trying to convey the smallness of the program through something else. Visual elements/objects, imagery.

a suggestion for ppl to play with. seeing as its small and theres been talk of using an animal. how about using an Ant seeing as they are small and capable of doing things that should be far beyond there physical limitations.

not entirely sure how it would look in an icon though. ill knock some up later and see how they look.

Simply because µTorrent is more known as "you"torrent than "micro"torrent.

that could easily be rectifiied: put something on the homepage such as a definition of µ, or a pronunciation (pronounced "micro torrent")

That's what happens when you put "µ" inside a circle and resize it small. People go, oh. that's a U. with tails. The domain name doesn't help much either. So we're trying to convey the smallness of the program through something else. Visual elements/objects, imagery.

honestly, seeing an amoeba or anything else is not going to make me think µTorrent.

There's a reason Azureus's logo is a frog: because an azureus is a frog.

There's a a reason that Firefox's logo is a red (fire) fox (fox) with a globe (globe=internet, browser, URL, etc).

there's a reason ludde/vurlix called it µTorrent and not coolTorrent, poopTorrent, tinyTorrent - because µ means small.

I agree that it needs something else in addition to the µ, but the µ definitely needs to be in there.

another thing.. those using µTorrent (and BitTorrent in general) are going to be pretty smart people. I highly doubt they're going to say "oh that's a U with a tail! how cute!" and even if they do, if there's something on the home page that tells them what it is, then they'll know better.

problem solved.

Lament, I'm afraid I disagree with you. Most ppl do not know that an Azureus is a frog. But, when they see the blue frog, they know it stands for the popular bt client. I do not think that the "µ" needs to be in the logo, for ppl to start recognizing it as utorrent. I'll admit that with the name, it is difficult to come up w/ something relative to portray this app, but unlike a few others here, I'm actually trying to look past the "µ". There are some that are still posting ideas that are nothing more than a µ inside a green/blue circle. This is even after its been said not to do so, for the logo. I dont think those that post these "µ" circles should be posting anymore images in this thread. It just doesnt contribute at all to the topic, and it creates clutter.

Steve has a nice idea.(I have been working on something similar and hope I finish it soon.)

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/3271/logo8ao.png

Anyone like this one? It resizes good, if you remove the arrows.

LOL.

in all seriousness, what's in it for the winner? i might get pumped up and throw something together.. i dabble in graphic/logo design..

a suggestion for ppl to play with. seeing as its small and theres been talk of using an animal. how about using an Ant seeing as they are small and capable of doing things that should be far beyond there physical limitations.

not entirely sure how it would look in an icon though. ill knock some up later and see how they look.

i like that idea.. an ant should be a top candidate for a mascot as they fit quite well with the uTorrent concept..

this should definitelly be worked at by various people, as the delivery of the illustration is key.. not to mention, tying it up with both BitTorrent and the uTorrent symbol (the frickin U with the frickin tail!)..

the ant has prospect.. i'll see if i can cook something up.. nice suggestion..

Archived