µTorrent 1.8.2 released

Firon

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uTP: read here in the 1.9 alpha forum http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=49813 about it.

How to enable and disable it:

Preferences > Advanced, set bt.transp_disposition to:

255 - both TCP and uTP (default)

10 - uTP only

5 - TCP only

It is 255 in 1.9 by default, 0 in 1.8.2 (read that too http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=378146#p378146 ) so Rafi should know it already ;)

Interesting...I've upgraded to 1.8.2 and set bt.transp_disposition to "3" with encryption enabled and incoming legacy connections allowed.

I am on a University network which is 5Mb/s up and down. However, the University network is throttling bittorrent traffic and I get very consistent speeds capped at 90KB/s up and down. With the new client and said config changes I am now maxing out my upload speed (5Mb/s). However, my download speed is only about 1Mb/s. This could simply be due to poor swarm speed though. It appears that using uTP defeats my university traffic shaping.

Now, that may sound just great, but what if every other resident here was also able to defeat the University's traffic shaping? Am I correct that the way uTP works is that regular TCP traffic (the majority of activity) will take priority and not be slowed down? If so, this is great news because the "wasted" bandwidth will be used when it can while not impacting regular academic and other real-time use.

Can't you read ? Firon just said they reverted back to build 153 due to problems... And to your issue - maybe one of your RSS feeds/filters downloads it ?

edit: just got this debian here too...

edit2: GFree- the first 'question' was aimed at those commenting about the "old" build #...

It's not a virus... it was my screwup. I uploaded a build with the debian torrent bundled. I've replaced it with the correct executable now, and it's still 14153 that's uploaded right now.

The bundling feature still needs a little tweaking, but it will be open for anyone to use once it's finalized.

The .torrent bundling needs changing so that it always shows the Add torrent dialog, much like it does now for btsearch URLs.

It will not open you to security exploits by malicious URLs being bundled, no more than opening a regular torrent with bad files at least.

A full guide will be put up later detailing how it works and how to use it. People will be able to bundle btsearch URLs, RSS feeds, and .torrents files. Only one URL though.

The bundled URL will be scrubbed from the exe when you use the installer, so relaunching later wouldn't reload a removed torrent. It doesn't do it when running in-place, though.

That being said, does anyone have any concerns about the bundling?

Archived