µTorrent 1.8.3 beta 15619

Firon

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone having slow and unstable upload speeds using 1.8.3? I updated to this one from a previous version and now the upload speeds for torrents see-saws between 0(as shown for each of the 10 torrents) and maximum.

I tried the 1.9.x alpha version with no such problem. Is there a bug for 1.8.3

Encryption is disabled for both 1.8.3 and 1.9 as a basis for comparison. My router port is opened, shows green (nothing changed there), and I have not changed the max half opened port and can conform the evilid thing is still set to 50.

I downgradet back to 1.8.2. Cos the newest 1.8.3 build (14755) sufferes on bad bad download and upload speeds from MB:s to KB:s total bantwith 100KB/sec, Previous build of 1.8.3 worked just fine.

vista 32bit

Edit, reverted back to 1.8.2 works fine.

> Even if for 1.9, shouldn't it be 15 default, and not 13?

For 1.8.3 the settings match 1.9, so according to the 1.9 thread (and what I've gathered in this thread)..

bt.transp_disposition is a bitfield, so the following numbers can be ADDED to get the desired effect:

1 - incoming TCP

2 - incoming uTP

4 - outgoing TCP

8 - outgoing uTP

Specific combinations:

5 - TCP incoming + outgoing only (uTP disabled)

13 - TCP incoming + outgoing with uTP outgoing only (1.8.3 default)

15 - both TCP and uTP, incoming + outgoing (1.9 default)

13 makes sense as the default for 1.8.3 (despite Firon saying it would be 0) because until all the kinks are worked out they don't want the client preferring uTP over TCP for incoming connections.

Well, my task manager for windows sp2 has the following:

uTorrent.exe / 48,564K

No lock-ups, no crashes, last version I had a couple of lockups but now nothing is happening, everything is as it should be...

A small item to those running the Betas, if it acts flaky, don't uninstall and refuse to run it. Keep it going, as we saw w/ this version an update/patch whatever came out very quickly. We all need to keep documenting and posting our findings here, otherwise, what is the point in running the beta type series?

I ran 14755 all day and it is working great for me provided I set bt.transp_disposition to 5. At 13 I see the ~0kbps uploads with occasional short bump ups that others have noted.

Also, the memory leak(s) have not shown up with this build. Thanks for the hard work.

> Even if for 1.9, shouldn't it be 15 default, and not 13?

For 1.8.3 the settings match 1.9, so according to the 1.9 thread (and what I've gathered in this thread)..

bt.transp_disposition is a bitfield, so the following numbers can be ADDED to get the desired effect:

1 - incoming TCP

2 - incoming uTP

4 - outgoing TCP

8 - outgoing uTP

Specific combinations:

5 - TCP incoming + outgoing only (uTP disabled)

13 - TCP incoming + outgoing with uTP outgoing only (1.8.3 default)

15 - both TCP and uTP, incoming + outgoing (1.9 default)

13 makes sense as the default for 1.8.3 (despite Firon saying it would be 0) because until all the kinks are worked out they don't want the client preferring uTP over TCP for incoming connections.

Sorry, but I had the values swapped in that post and neglected to correct them.

1 and 2 are outgoing, 4 and 8 are incoming.

13 is thus TCP incoming + outgoing and UTP incoming only.

13 is the default because we want 1.8.3 to behave like 1.8.2, but still be able to handle incoming uTP better than previous versions (as it has 1.9's uTP handling code).

Hello guys, I can also testify that upload speeds (without tweaking advanced settings) are poor after a few minutes of use.

First ~5min it goes full speed then it just dies and stays around 2KB/s.

OK here is something I just noticed, when 1.8.3 is running, I can't connect to steam.

No port collision or anything like that.

@Ufis: what you don't save utorrent.exe (latest stable) and the beta in Program Files\uTorrent?

I do that and I have no problems to switch between the 2 versions, you just need to refuse shortcuts etc... when the beta installer appears, that's all.

When I want to remove a beta, I trash the .exe and remove exceptions in my firewall, that's enough.

Archived