µTorrent 1.8.4 released

Firon

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always come here when I want a laugh about how bad the newest version is. There hasn't been anything of use to me recently so I'm still using 1.8.3.

I think utorrent has overdeveloped: it has outgrown its micro ways and should now be called MacroTorrent, or soon maybe even MegaTorrent or GigaTorent. Way too full of excess complication. All these bugs are just a symptom of a systemic, systematic problem. The problem is too much - of everything: RSS gee-gaws & doo-dads, fancy UDP tracking & data-transfer (lots o' bugs in dat one, for sure), etc. There's even names for it: Featuritis and Code Bloat come to mind in particular.

For its size, utorrent is probably buggier and more corrupt than any M$ software, which is a sad statement in and of itself. Of course, utorrent is not alone: modern software is more bloated and corrupt than ever before, outdoing the disasters of yesteryear with yet more extravagant displays of failure, generating endless queues of data-loss victims, not to mention paged-pool overflows spilling into kernel space.

My recommendation is to permanently halt all development and excise the infected branches off the code tree, starting with the cancerous 1.8.4 edition. A little bit o' digital Bonsai so to speak. Progress is a myth and regress of baseline function is the reality after excess development.

I have what seems to be a rather annoying, but not major, bug in Utorrent. When I have 1 or 2 torrents in the queue, I can hilight them to see their info. The hilighted torrent remains so until I physically click on another torrent.

However, when a third torrent is added to the list, regardless of whether this torrent is downloading / seeding, if I want to check the status of any of the other 2 torrents by highlighting them, the hilighted file becomes the last in queue(the 3rd file) after only a few seconds. This has happened twice when 3 torrents were in queue

Ex: If I have 3 torrents in queue and I have to update the tracker because my net line disconnected, I have maybe a few seconds to update tracker on torrent 1 or 2 before the hilight falls back to 3rd torrent.

Have used utorrent before(1.77) on XP, without any issues and loved it. :)

Am currently using version 1.84(Build 16150) on Vista with no major problems. Though I have searched through the FAQ and a lot of the forum posts, I haven't found anything yet that addresses this problem, unless their was a fix in the other builds of 1.84?

The strangeness of your bug indicates code overcomplexity which is causing unpredictable interactions whose manifestations include illogical GUI behaviour. Frankly, after sixteen thousand one hundred and fifty builds it's hard to see how such an obvious bug made it through the undoubtedly stringent quality-control system.

I do not notice any problems regarding speed. The problem I'm describing happens when 3 torrents are in queue, on mouse click of any of the first 2 torrents in the queue.

When testing DL Speed with OpenOffice, I reached over 600 kb/s

Edit: Once I began DL'ing a few torrents, I was averaging 198kb/s on 1 DL, and almost 75kb/s on the other.

Upload speed was maxing at about 70 kb/s with 1 torrent in queue, and 30 - 40 kb/s with 2 torrents in queue.

Also one thing I noticed when I tried to change the order of the torrents by clicking a column was that it

didn't matter where that 3rd torrent that was added initially to queue ended up after shuffling the particular column(s), I could not get the hilight to stay on any of the first 2 torrents added to Q, for more than a few seconds.

It seems to want to stay "stuck" to the 3rd torrent that was added to Q. When this "problem" torrent is not in the Q cause of inactivity or such and the other 2 torrents are there together, I have no problem. The hilighted torrent stays in place until I change it and not on its own.

As I said before this has happened twice, each time with 3 torrents in the queue, first 2 files were same in both cases, the 3rd file added was different in both, but have same issue.

Edit: It seems as though the problem I had went away once I restarted Windows and ran Norton. After that I opened Utorrent again and nothing wierd since. There weren't any Viruses, Trojans, etc, but anyway it seemed to do the trick. =D

ugatme, your problem is likely hostile software on your computer...probably in the form of a software firewall that's misbehaving. Remove ALL uTorrent exceptions from your firewall and let it redetect uTorrent. If that doesn't help, reboot your computer, modem, and router. If that doesn't help, uninstall the software firewall/s besides the Windows Firewall.

Sorry Switeck but no software firewall, just sitting behing router and it's configured correctly (port is open). v1.82 works like a dream, the problem only starts after installing 1.84. Also no chance of hostile software, I'm a pc tech and would know if anything was interfering. Appreciate any thoughts

The latest 1.8.4 build doesn't work in Linux (with wine). I had no trouble with a 1.8.4 build from a week or two ago. This one just hangs at the end of the install and eventually shows a dialog saying somethign like "it appears utorrent is running by not responding".

wine version is 1.1.28

Sorry Switeck but no software firewall, just sitting behing router and it's configured correctly (port is open). v1.82 works like a dream, the problem only starts after installing 1.84. Also no chance of hostile software, I'm a pc tech and would know if anything was interfering. Appreciate any thoughts

I have the same thing. 1.82 works a dream 1.84 has speed issues, every so often upload speed is cut down to basically 0 for maybe 20-30 seconds. When I found out I had the speed issue, I installed 1.83 back onto my system, but I found that that too gave me the speed issues, which I had never noticed before. Now im back on 1.82 and it runs like a dream. Maybe 1.83 has only started giving me issues since installing 1.84, I dont know.

Archived