µTorrent 3.2 stable (27568)

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i tried downloading the 3.1 my laptop constantly crashed,but when i upped to 3.2 beta (build 27215) it worked fine and there were no crashes, but with every new 3.2 beta that i upgrade to i noticed more of a lag in my cpu's operation, especially on the internet, and now with 3.2 beta (build 27239) my laptop has started bsod'ing again.is this happening to anyone else?

For those of you who skipped files but uT gets stuck at flushing to disk, I need some information:

1) the torrent that you experienced the problem on

2) exactly what files you skipped

3) your settings.dat

4) whether this is a local disk, an external disk, fileshare, etc

Please email this to me, firon at utorrent dot com. Or post it here in the forums.

when i tried downloading the 3.1 my laptop constantly crashed,but when i upped to 3.2 beta (build 27215) it worked fine and there were no crashes, but with every new 3.2 beta that i upgrade to i noticed more of a lag in my cpu's operation, especially on the internet, and now with 3.2 beta (build 27239) my laptop has started bsod'ing again.is this happening to anyone else?

uTorrent can not cause a machine to bsod as it does not install or use its own drivers.

I'm a bsod expert. I can easily show you what to do to fix your machine immediately. All I need are the crash dumps. They're in C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy/paste the files in there to any other location then zip or rar them. Upload the zip or rar to Rapidshare or similar and paste a link here.

I'm GMan on eightforums.com and do all the debugging there for folks....used to do it on many sites across the net.

To the devs: Thanks for all your work and the great app.

As for all you folks with 100% disk problems, install the latest proprietary storage driver from the motherboard website or even better yet, from the chipset maker's website: aka Intel, NVIDIA etc...

Both 3.1.3 and the latest 3.2 beta have a serious issue... if you have any torrents running with tracker urls associated with them the tracker urls become corrupted (you can see it in the trackers tab) and pretty soon the whole thing crashes.

I suspect it malformed the particular torrent files at some point, maybe, since new torrents I add don't seem to have any problems... anyways it may help if uTorrent is more tolerant of malformed torrent files or at least it should be able to detect them?

the tracker urls become corrupted...I suspect it malformed the particular torrent files

A screenshot + the torrent file itself would be nice. I don't see the devs fixing such an issue (if there is one) without those.

I just figured out it's torrents from a particular private tracker. I've x'ed out my identifying ID number from one of the torrents and uploaded it here:

http://getoffmyinternet.mzzt.net/test.torrent

I reproduced the crash with it on build 26904 and submitted a dump using the crash handler UI. Sometimes it crashes sometimes it doesn't' date=' but you'll see the string corruption going on in the Trackers tab.

I should also mention (yeah this is probably important) I'm running the Windows 8 Community Preview x64. I don't recall if I had problems on Windows 7 x64. I might try tomorrow to see if it's an OS-specific issue. I think that may be likely since I see nothing about this issue on the private tracker's forums, so it can't be a global issue with utorrent across all system configurations.

Also the string corruption only occurs once the torrent is started. The strange error "Cannot get SSL chunk size" is shown sometimes in the tracker tab for the first update, probably because of the string corruption causing it to try and connect to a nonsense address or something along those lines.[/quote']

I have discovered another requirement for this bug to happen, you must have a socks4/5 proxy enabled, specific settings don't seem to matter. I used Tor. A fresh install of uTorrent 3.1 or 3.2 on a clean XP install can easily repro the issue.

This is a serious issue as it prevents torrents like the one I posted from working AT ALL. Evidence of memory corruption too as you can see the tracker url getting corrupted in the tracker tab (though only in Windows 7, on XP you get an instant crash when viewing the tracker tab for the torrent).

Big problem using test utility for bandwidth : test fails and no dl nor ul for a couple of hours ; thomson modem cable furnished by numericable seems to have a poor connectivity : I have to put global max = 50, or less to permit p2p for VirtuaGirlHD ; using Dsl connection from SFR, test works fine, and ul and dl recover quite soon ; stats give #connections : 135 immediately after testing under numericable with globalmax = 49, overriding, in fact... some debugging should be achieved !

pausing with scheduler allows test to succeed ; problem is modem congestion, overriding global max.

I have discovered another requirement for this bug to happen, you must have a socks4/5 proxy enabled, specific settings don't seem to matter. I used Tor. A fresh install of uTorrent 3.1 or 3.2 on a clean XP install can easily repro the issue.

This is a serious issue as it prevents torrents like the one I posted from working AT ALL. Evidence of memory corruption too as you can see the tracker url getting corrupted in the tracker tab (though only in Windows 7, on XP you get an instant crash when viewing the tracker tab for the torrent).

Thanks for the report. We'll take a look into that.

i am using build 27239 and it still freezing all the time' date=' not responding. it so sad :([/quote']

did you try it with a new "install" (empty settings.dat file)?

Tried and it didn't work. I will try if the new build fix this problem.

I use HTTP proxy pointed at Privoxy which directs to Tor and there are no issues here. Must be the private tracker's issue, your settings or simply the fact of socks4/5 used instead.

All good on both Win7/8.

The private tracker works fine if the proxy is turned off. uTorrent never even queries the tracker since the tracker url becomes corrupted, as I said... even if you specify a URL with the private session id stripped off (as I did) the crash still occurs, so it's happening before processing the tracker reply most likely (the error messages utorrent spit out suggest it fails to establish an SSL session, maybe due to more corrupted memory). So it is clearly either due to Tor or due to uTorrent. Tor transparently wraps connections and using Tor with torrent files from public torrents works fine so I doubt it plays a factor.

As a programmer I speculate that in some code path relating to proxies, the memory space holding the url and some SSL session data, and perhaps part of the stack or heap (or something that eventually causes the crash) is overwritten by accident when utorrent goes to connect to it.

I normally use Tor directly so I did not think of using Privoxy as a workaround, I'll try that in the meantime, thanks. :) It might also explain why this issue hasn't been widely reported, out-of-the-box you use Privoxy with Tor.

[Edit: Nope, I forgot Privoxy was cut out and replaced with Polipo I think. I'll try that.]

[Edit: Boo, looks like Polipo might not handle CONNECT, or at least the FAQ indicates it's for HTTP traffic only. I'll try Privoxy instead.]

[Edit: uTorrent does not crash or corrupt the tracker name when using an HTTP proxy, but it claims to be updating when Privoxy logs no such connection attempt. However I can manually connect using PuTTY through Privoxy, though for some reason Privoxy did not receive the expected from the private tracker (tracker immediately closed the connection, possibly it didn't like the exact way I connected via PuTTY), but the connection attempt at least logged in Privoxy's log window (enable debug 2 in the config to see that stuff). So HTTP proxy doesn't seem to work right either in uTorrent for tracker updates on the torrent I posted. Other connections through the HTTP proxy to uTorrent's update server and app server and to peers are logged.]

For the last 2 weeks, I've found the beta builds have been uploading at my maximum upload rate even when in the scheduler it is in the White (i.e. "Turn Off") time period.

It's not displaying in the main window that it's uploading anything and all active torrents show a Status of Queued. However, on the uTorrent title bar and status bar it is showing *something* uploading and my router logs show upload data at the same rate.

I'm currently on 3.2.27272. Any ideas what might have happened from the builds around 2 weeks ago to cause this?

Is this a bug or have a missed a new configuration option? I've made no config changes in months, simply accepted new beta builds of 3.2.x as they get pushed.

Is this a bug

Possibly. I've notice that at some point ( undefined, but mostly when there was a download too ) uTorrent will not correctly limit the upload per your limit, regardless of the scheduler, so I guess this can happen with the scheduler too.

When I only seed, it works fine. Also, remember that *forced* seeding are not effected by the scheduler!

Did you try with a new / empty settings.dat/old files ? maybe yours is corrupted?

Edited...

hey wuts up guys. im a noob when it come to the intricacies of making a program work. even though ive looked around for hours and trying different stuff i am at a stand still with the 3.2 beta (27272) i downloaded. first off everything worked great with the version previous to the 3.1.3, after upgrading to the 3.1.3 i noticed that for some reason the download torrent file option was not available on any torrent site and only the magnet link was there. after clicking on download, the add new torrent page came up, clicked ok like on every other download ive done and nothing happened. once on utorrent it shows the download bar but nothing ever downloads, tried to force start and nothing. at the bottom where it says DHT: all it says is waiting to log in or # of nodes. am i doing something wrong or is there something i should be doing to fix this?? like i said everything worked fine until i upgraded to the new software and like i said im a noob but downloading via utorrent has never been a problem.

see above Edits...

Sorry, missed that. I'm not force seeding any torrents.

As originally mentioned, this just started happening about 2 weeks ago with no change at my end aside from installing whatever beta builds were auto-updated so at this stage I'm more inclined to think this is a regression introduced in whatever build was released around 2 weeks ago.

When I only seed, it works fine. Also, remember that *forced* seeding are not effected by the scheduler!

There seems to be no regression at my end... But you know, your configuration can be different then mine.. (you can try with mine it is in my sig/guide)

When I only seed' date=' it works fine. Also, remember that *forced* seeding are not effected by the scheduler![/quote']

There seems to be no regression at my end... But you know, your configuration can be different then mine.. (you can try with mine it is in my sig/guide)

When I only seed' date=' it works fine. Also, remember that *forced* seeding are not effected by the scheduler![/quote']

Actually, I was going to try yours from your sig yesterday but the redirect link is broken. If you could fix that then I'll definitely give it a go.

Archived