A few notes on the upcoming changes to uTorrent

R3TR0

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am still using version 1.8.1. Why anyone update beyond 2.2.x is a mystery. This news doesn't affect BT and UT users with a brain. What a shame it has been to watch the UT demise. A real 'geek' tragedy. Ah the good old days. My 1.8.1 works awesome. 600 GB per month and not slowing down. Thanks for the original app that works brilliantly and is one of the only allowed clients on many of the best private trackers. If you can fool idiots into downloading your bloatware then all the best to you. I will be telling everyone where to get the real version of UT from however, as I have always done so for the past few years.

I also registered to say sayonara.

I think this is one of the most effective ways to destroy uTorrent. I will not install obvious adware. I do not trust or respect developers who produce adware. I've stuck with uT through the 'redesign', mostly because of that mountain of trust and respect built by the team years ago (but rapidly eroding ever since). I'll happily support financial models like donationware and commercial software, provided they're good values developed by seemingly good people (uT Plus certainly fails at least one of these). Just knowing that BitTorrent came to this conclusion is probably enough for me to move on, combined with the other red flags that we've all been trying to ignore for a while. Extremely disappointing.

An absolute disgrace.

uTorrent used to be a excellent lightweight client with some great features, now its just a bloated and buggy piece of crap which is now going to be bundled with adware.

You seriously think that uTorrent is going to survive now? The Admin/Devs are seriously deluded.

Pure greed has turned your once loved app into a bloated and buggy cash cow.

Bye.

Talk about alienating your core users... or maybe that's just what they want, maybe the users that matter are the ones who don't mind ads, or paying for "premium" features, maybe the users your are now interested in keeping still think kazaa is a good p2p client :-P

Time to start evaluating alternatives (no more updating for me)

Goodbye, soo long and thanks for all the fish!

24 replies in the span of a day (not t mention the responses on TF). You'd think that the uT team would have the brains to see that they're not just shooting themselves in the foot, they're shooting themselves in the HEAD. It *WILL* be the Death Knell of uT if you put ads in the "free" version. SIMPLE AS THAT. You may still get some fools out there who will use it - there are people who actually paid for the crapware that is Plus. But the majority of your userbase, whether they participate in this forum or not, will NOT use the new version. We *WILL* stick to an old version.

How can you people be so blind as to NOT see that? Just the "potential" $$$$ in your eyes?

Just like the torrent sites that continually go down, there WILL be other clients to rise - one just hasn't because, until now, it wasn't really needed.

So, if you move forward with this, you *WILL* get one of three results - 1) people will remain on an older version, 2) SOMEONE *WILL* find a way to block the ads, 3) SOMEONE *WILL* develop a new client that does what the "old" uT did.

This is what happens when a COMPANY buys out a good program - happens EVERY time.

Well it was a good run utorrent! You were great until a short time ago. Now you are just turning into a bloated mess like all the others. Who ever the genius was to think including ads in your pretty gui would be a good idea should be gently hung with barbed wire.

Have a nice demise!

:rolleyes:

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/y39vb/utorrent_becomes_adsupported_to_rake_in_millions/

Just registered to say goodbye! just uninstalled utorrent. I was with you for version 3, despite the steady rise of bloat.

a) targeted torrents?

B) featured artists, movies?

Remember Azureus? No, neither do I, although I'm sure it became very profitable, having mutated into Windows Media Player's retarded step child Vuze.

http://deluge-torrent.org/

http://www.tixati.com/

Just like the torrent sites that continually go down, there WILL be other clients to rise - one just hasn't because, until now, it wasn't really needed.

So, if you move forward with this, you *WILL* get one of three results - 1) people will remain on an older version, 2) SOMEONE *WILL* find a way to block the ads, 3) SOMEONE *WILL* develop a new client that does what the "old" uT did.

This is what happens when a COMPANY buys out a good program - happens EVERY time.

What I used to get from torrents, I now get from the novel new idea called usenet. ;) They have been there all along, I just didn't know the right newsgroup.

Don't know what you mean by rise, but if you mean become the most used. Maybe.

I have used several including Vuze, Transmission, KTorrent, qBittorrent, and uTorrent for Linux. All do what I need a torrent client to do, download, seed the torrent, and be secure. That is all they need to do.

As far as ads go I would just ignore them.

This update includes improvements and changes that we think you are going to like.

clearly, you have mistaken the generally-positive reinforcement from your forum members as an indicator of the wishes of the entirety of your userbase.

you have to be absolutely blind to not realize that a huge chunk of your users loathe the 3.x series, as-is, and that this change will only further cement the idea in their heads that "the current dev team has been ruining uT ever since they took over."

it's hilarious to think that you should be well-paid for working on a project that, in a VAST majority of cases, is used to outright steal products. yes, you can argue "WoW uses torrent technology" or "Linux distros are freely shareable", but it doesn't take a genius to realize that those are two amazingly small chunks of the torrent-using community. i have no problem with wanting to make money, but maybe you should try doing it with a project that isn't used to swindle every other music, movie and software producer out of their own income?

if you don't mind pissing off the hardcore community that is responsible for your success in the first place, that's fine... but don't be surprised when people start flocking to other clients like qbittorrent, tixati or even the older 2.2.1 builds.

speaking of 2.2.1, i have some downloads to queue up. adios.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/08/12/057241/utorrent-adds-featured-torrents-ads-with-no-opt-out-yet

2.2.1 is last version if anyone wants to use utorrent it can be downloaded by googling old apps or old software version get the last 2.2.1 version.

anything after is a joke, bloat, laden with toolbars and crap and now links to ads that give anything from malware to dns changing ads.

Wikipedia has a comparison: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients

look at the open source clients, there are clients like qtorrent that look like old utorrent and is small, no ads, no toolbars and truly open source. There are other better clients also...

but if you do stick with utorrent do NOT go past version 2.2.1

utorrent is over, only the old versions are of any worth prior to 3 when they sold their soul and turned their backs on open source and community requests.

just go look at the other sections tons of posts begging for a return to the 2.2.1 interface, the majority of users hated 3.0 interface after 3.0 this forum has been nothing but complaints but the admins, devs, do nothing they ignore all and delete posts.

they even censor links to older version websites which proves they have seperated, the new coders arent the same as the old coders by proof they wont even support their entire client line. There was no problems in 2.2.1, they moved to bloatware when Gyre came along.

I signed up just to say - I will never upgrade your software to the ad-support version.

I liked the sub-1meg torrent client that opened instantly, did what I wanted, and let me walk away.

This 3.0 garbage with ratings, searching, news and now ADS can kiss my ass. Most people who torrent want nothing to do with a paid or ad supported option. These are the people using noscript and adblock in an incognito window to browse websites to stay anonymous. We don't want your shoddy 3rd party ad server to push bandwidth on us for ads that get to log our IP. Fuck. That.

Here is the bottom line - people can use your old version without being cut off - unlike facebook and timeline shit. We can just not download this ad version, as many people are already talking about, and you spent your time for nothing.

I have already told everyone i know to leave 3.0 alone, and now this is the best reason to fight my battle - you guys want to rake in fast cash because you got tired of not being instantly rich. Sell-outs are hated, not revered. Your new cost option will be the death of you. Ask the frog.

If the changes go through as originally planned and can't be disabled, then I'm sad to say that after using µTorrent for 7 years I'll have to switch to another client. I've already felt the need to start hunting around for an alternative in anticipation of the day it got too bloated to use, and it saddens me to see that the day will finally come.

I guess that's how things have to be, when something becomes popular and is free, eventually they have to sell out (Digsby is an example, although they say they are "back" but now open-source so it's as good as abandoned)

Well best alternative that I'd recommend would be either qBittorrent or Tixati for those that are ditching uTorrent once this goes live.

I havent' had much experience with Vuze but with how complicated the settings can get, I don't want to bother.

And definitely with this new Ad-ware to be included that can't be turned off, bad move. I mean just having various software offers in the installer is enough. But to have something youc an't even configure, gg.

I really, really hope the Devs are listening with two ears...

People are registering just to post their opinions on this one!

Don't think for a moment, because uTorrent has been one of the mostly used Torrent apps that the greed aspect or the fact that you think what we like hinders or clouds your visions!

Bottom line is you're going to do what you want but may I kindly suggest to forget this idea ever happened!

I fail to see how one ad could mutilate a bittorrent client. µTorrent is an excellent application which comes for free, but you must understand that its development doesn't. You just have no authority to sit in judgment over that.

Archived