A few notes on the upcoming changes to uTorrent

R3TR0

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are planning a metro version.

jesus

You can't get into the Microsoft Store unless you make it a metro app so... :P Or run on Windows RT tablets, for that matter.

Desktop version isn't going anywhere; we're just supporting another platform, like we do with the Android version of BitTorrent.

no one should be using any version after 2.2.1 anyhow it was the last greatest version, no bugs, tiny, no toolbar, and is super fast.

old apps or older versions there's 2 major websites that offer previous versions of all popular software from web browsers to torrent clients.

of course what I find funny is p2p programs making a "paid" version without ads, like Limeware did and Frostwire and others

know what people did you could download the "plus" version off their own p2p client :P

Hilarious though trying to make money off piracy which is the largest use of p2p, I've pirated since 1996 originally on newsgroups and still have a giganews account I use. When Limeware was new they were also ad-free open source but "jumped the shark" and turned to ads, malware laden toolbars and trying to hide the opt-out in their install screens. People just used older versions of limeware to download the cracked plus version.

no one wants ads,

we are bombarded with ads on television (reason I cut cable in late 90s and have pirated all television since 90's originally using Hauppage pci TV cards to stream from pc to television, now I use Western Digital WDTV plus playing favorite tv shows on a shared folder on the LAN auto downloaded via RSS downloader.)

in which utorrent 2.2.1 was the best and still is the best. If 2.2.1 ever gives trouble there is always QTorrent which is modeled after utorrent 2.2.1 looks exactly the same and is fully open source with no toolbars, no ads or whatnot.

I do appreciate utorrent and it was the best for windows up to 2.2.1 I find it funny how they censor links to previous version of utorrent, which I guess they have a new team or whatever this Gyre crap is that was mentioned on torrentfreak, some new partner or owner who knows.

if any devs from 2.2.1 period and prior are around then thank you for a great client, but majority I would guess in my opinion won't go past 2.2.1, your own forums have had tons of posts deleted after 3.0 released there were tons of outrage and begging to bring the 2.2.1 gui back and there was no way even with skins to bring it back fully...so instead of listen to the user base the forum mods started deleting any thread that begged for return to 2.2.1 style/gui/features.

anyhow yea it's whining, but only cause we were fanbois of the original idea behind utorrent, being smallest, fastest, adfree/toolbar free client out there... and versions up to 2.2.1 was the last of the great clients, and can be downloaded on any older app website.

Hey, heres an idea. Put this plan on hold for a hot second. Talk to your userbase about other ideas. It seems to me that you may have over-estimated your userbase's willingness to allow you to monetize their irritation. This is a strange and new economy, and for all intents and purposes, your userbase is your product. You are on the verge of being out of stock. Tread carefully.

I personally have no problem ignoring some ads and who knows, maybe I'll like one of them :/

BUT

So for example, of course nothing changes with your privacy.

You seem to keep saying this without any further explanation. Do earlier versions of uTorrent look up my IP like this new version is going to to serve these ads?

If you can explain this in some detail I would have no problem continuing to support uTorrent.

Your post brings up an important point: What are we doing with our revenue?

- For one thing, we continue to invest in the product reduced memory consumption, improved disk performance, improved utp, improved stability, and again - NO big new features planned (we may even trim).

- We invest in bringing UT to new platforms: android, WinRT, Chrome OS, TVs, DMAs, etc.

- We invest in other decentralized, free, user-controlled p2p systems: Live, Storage, Backup, Search, etc.

- We work with artists, large and small, to get them in front of our users, present and even monetize their content on their behalf as an alternative to the usual channels. See http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blo … t-20120731 and http://blog.utorrent.com/2012/07/26/wha … -win-more/

The point is, we're doing a lot more than we ever have, and that takes people and resources.

Even with the list noted above and then paying ALL utorrent employees there should be a few millions left over...

http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-becomes-ad-supported-to-rake-in-millions-120810/

And what about your sister Bitorrent app?....Same boat on for this new add supported feature also!

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/7002-a-few-notes-on-the-upcoming-changes-to-the-bittorrent-client/

Double Whammy!!!

The point is - I'd try and keep an open mind about it' date=' wait and see the implementation, and keep my judgment until then![/quote']

There are many other ways to implement More income/revenue for the continuing development of utorrent although the millions per year quotes in the article should be more than enough!

Do they really need more to keep their lights on?

Why are you adding this feature to the free version when you have the plus bringing in income!

Slow down...smell the coffee...

This new feature will be obtrusive and will use more real estate for some...Many do not want to see this everytime they open up utorrent...

Remember in many cases $$$ destroys for various reasons and it also clouds judgement decisions!

BUT If you must it needs to be added to the sidebar with an option to either hide it or disable it per user.

I'm trying to be opened minded about this but all I see is making more $$$.

And please don't take the peoples opinions on this matter lightly!

Some have been loyal and/or contributors for years and those you really do not want to lose!

LIstening here. :) Thanks for staying with us, and especially for keeping an open mind. We can adjust, which is exactly why we're having this conversation pre-release. Please keep engaging with us.

Your post brings up an important point: What are we doing with our revenue?

- For one thing, we continue to invest in the product reduced memory consumption, improved disk performance, improved utp, improved stability, and again - NO big new features planned (we may even trim).

- We invest in bringing UT to new platforms: android, WinRT, Chrome OS, TVs, DMAs, etc.

- We invest in other decentralized, free, user-controlled p2p systems: Live, Storage, Backup, Search, etc.

- We work with artists, large and small, to get them in front of our users, present and even monetize their content on their behalf as an alternative to the usual channels. See http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/gear-up/dj-shadow-becomes-first-artist-to-strike-payment-deal-with-bittorrent-20120731 and http://blog.utorrent.com/2012/07/26/whats-new-the-dj-shadow-revolution-radiohead-is-our-friend-last-day-to-win-more/

The point is, we're doing a lot more than we ever have, and that takes people and resources.

Bigfalls, note the section I put in bold - I have NO PROBLEM with that sort of "ad" - HOWEVER, I do have an issue when you push it in my face.

I would *strongly* suggest the following: Use Plug-Ins or Channels that people can get the information on IF THEY WANT. If you have a NEW or FEATURED "Artist", "Movie" "Series", etc where someone can CHOOSE to view the information, then ***NO PROBLEM*** and that is ENCOURAGED. We ALL want to help support emerging artists, filmmakers, and the like. To be able to "target" any sort of "ads", you have to collect information about a user - and that would include information we don't want to send.

YOU have choices too - work with your users and provide what they are looking for (if *you* don't, someone else WILL), or lose your core userbase. Then all your "changes" are for naught, because you will have lost most of your userbase.

PLEASE keep uT the best of the clients.

Thank you.

The ONLY way you could possibly "make good" is to stop this nonsense and get your heads together. Apparently you don't mind your loyal users running away in droves. Can't believe I ever donated to the cause. That was the point of donating to begin with... so that you DIDN'T end up like this. Unreal. :rolleyes:

I don't know what to say. We haven't even released the product yet. Our loyal users are the very first people we discussed this with. And here I am at nearly 3am talking to you' date=' a loyal user. To say we don't mind what our loyal users do...I don't get it. Perhaps I'm just digging myself in further and there's nothing I can say. I will say...will you hang in there with us a bit more, Bombora? And others of you? Again, at least see how things play out here. Will you keep talking? I hope so.[/quote']

Hi Bigfails,

I'm another user here who is ready to jump ship over this decision, and in my eyes things are quite black and white in regards to your request for us to hang in and see how things play out.

If you implement advertising in uTorrent, to be perfectly to the point, no - we will not hang in. This is a make-or-break decision for a large section of your user base.

If I come across as antagonistic, I truly apologize because I don't mean to - just trying to be frank and direct about how I feel about the situation.

Dan

I understand the need for ads. No problem. I just hope they're not going to be more sex ads like download sites. Definitely NOT kid friendly. You men out there should be insulted. As they say nothing in this world is free. A few ads is a small price to pay for all that you get. Suck it up folks, everyone has to pay the bills. :D

Insulted by why? Sex Ads? Sex is a part of human nature.. It what we were essential born to do.

If you are insulted or bothered by sex ads, perhaps you should Grow Up..

Now I don't like seeing sex ads either, but not because of what they relate to, just because I don't like seeing ads period. Ads do not make my buy things, or click somewhere..

.. we keep our lights on through advertising.

Have you considered getting day jobs? Or are the developers behind uTorrent like the majority of the worlds population that would rather not work, and just make "easy money" ..

Best of luck with that.. I was a hardcore uTorrent user. When friends/family asked which Torrent Client I recommended, it was always uTorrent.. Well not anymore thats for sure. I can not stand software (free or not) that forces ads on its users.

Now if your uTorrent Plus was worth the $25 value you placed on it then I would go for it.. But there is not a single feature that is worth that price. Virus Protection? Sorry, but thats what I have Norton360 for. Media Player? Thats what VLC is for.. Converter? MediaCoder, does that pretty well, and is Free.. Remote? Sorry, but whats the point of that? If you need access to file remotely, There are such better ways to do it.. And who leave downloaded files in the same folder they were downloaded too? All my movies get moved to external drives, same with music (which external drive are attached to a Linux Server). Games are usually burnt to disc and iso deleted... Anyways, your PLUS has no value, well at least not a $25 one.

I will be searching for a alternative, and will suggest to family and friends to do the same. There is no way I'm using software with forced ads, or "Suggested" Downloads. I download what I want, not what you feel you need to suggest.

I don't personally mind ads and quite frankly if you have been using the internet for more than 2-3 days and haven't yet learned to ignore advertisements, then I feel really sorry for you. I also have no idea how you function on the web as ads show up pretty much everywhere on the internet; it's how things get paid for.

Creating software is not free nor is it easy. Creating good software is even less free and more difficult. Someone at some point is going to need to pay for the infrastructure and resources necessary to produce and support a fantastic product such as uTorrent. At some point those people are going to want some sort of return on all that money that's being pumped in. Not just the money they put in, but an actual gain on that money. This is how the world works.

I also wonder who's actually spending enough time inside their torrent client to even see ads for more than half a second? I used to keep my uTorrent (need my bandwidth back so I turned it off) on 24/7 and I maybe looked at it like 2 times a week. I fail to see how this would actually impact anyone other than offending people's misplaced sense of entitlement and maybe adding a few MB of bandwidth usage a month.

Here is my opinion on this new move. I'm going to describe the present scenario, and a possible alternative. I hope it will be useful.

At the moment uTorrent is generating 15 - 20M revenue per year. The userbase is around 150M users per month. The math is not that hard, if you add adverts the revenue are hoped to up dramatically. My opinion is that it is definitely an understandable decision to make the company maximize the profit. The point is that I am not sure if this move will really maximize them.

Let's consider the present scenario: you add adverts to the new version. and this happens:

- you lose reputation and slowly you lose popularity and userbase (how many users can you afford losing in 1 year?)

- not everyone is updating to the new version right away (if at all), so you will not be able to push adverts so easily, in the meanwhile you lose userbase because of the above effect

- when you start collecting revenues other free clients pop up, from someone that doesn't have to run a company, and this pushes users away too

- cracked utorrent versions come up, featuring no adverts.

Have you considered all those effects in your business plan? Is this move paying back in the middle and long term? Please keep in mind you're not going to see revenue sky rocketing the day after you release the new version, but the other side effects are quite quick to kick in. I'm not saying you will not cash with this move, I'm just saying it will kill uTorrent in the middle term, and I'm not sure this is what you really want. Even if your plan is to cash in very quickly and then kill the software, this is a risky move.

Now let's consider an alternative scenario

You follow this idea: features should be for free, services should be for money. This model works better on the Internet and is less risky. In my opinion the alternative way to cash in should follow these guidelines:

- improve the payed version of uTorrent, making it lightweight and make a real marketing campaign around it, in the forums, in the torrent communities

- put ads on the web control interface. No user will complain if they see adverts on a webpage. Users are free to open it or not. It's an extra service you are providing, it is perfectly fair to display ads.

- offer payed android and Ios apps to control the software

- setup a VPN or Proxy service, with an option to integrate it into the client (not at the OS level!). This will boost your popularity. This would also let people access blocked online content as Kickass torrents or Piratebay for the ones that can't see them. The market goes this way, people need this feature, and it can definitely be for money.

I hope it's not too late to get back on your steps. Users love uTorrent, users are used to it. This is your richness.

Best

STOP RIGHT THERE!

Look at this example from App.NET https://join.app.net/ built by Dalton Caldwell and his team formerly of imeem.

This all sterted with a popular BLOG POST: http://daltoncaldwell.com/what-twitter-could-have-been which sparked this PROPORSAL: http://daltoncaldwell.com/an-audacious-proposal to build App.NET

He proved that, like imeem, and soon to follow Facebook and Twitter, the ad model will kill or atleast make your once awesome service utterly shit for your target audience. No casuals use uTorrent, we know what we want and this is not it.

And like the users who funded App.NET, I'm willing to pay for uTorrent if it means no ads and no bullshit. Build the software for us, treat us like the customers and the users considered first when developing this tool and I think people will compensate for the bills!

ADS WILL DRIVE PEOPLE AWAY and I fell like that's true for the lot of uTorrent users. GET RID OF THE CRAP, get back to the awesome!

Just to compliment my last post... I've practically replaced cable with uTorrent and the reason for that was Ads. So this is kinda going back to that same model, but actually bringing it even closer to my 'happy place'!

Again, this is 2012 and any serious user can see the value of good software to PAY for it... the truth is, you can't be FREE forever and scheming around the fact you've got bills is silly.

CHARGE FOR IT ALREADY!

µT used to such a gr8 torrent client but with v3 is became a damn bloatware and nothing else.

Now this.....forced ads, no option to disable......

RIP µT. It was fun while it lasted.

Time 2 have a look on another Free torrent client......... Deluge

Seems like µTorrent will become an adware.

So I recommending creating option to turn off and completely disable these featured torrents space ads, so everybody will be happy.

If not, we will probably see "some" migration to other Bittorrent clients like Tixati (looks perfect :cool: ), qBittorrent, Transmission, Deluge or Vuze(lulz..., just kidding)

or more simply, users will just stop updating µTorrent

no one should be using any version after 2.2.1 anyhow it was the last greatest version' date=' no bugs, tiny, no toolbar, and is super fast.[/quote']

Yes, but the security holes...

are a myth. firon, the one utorrent guy i actually trust, said there were no security issues with 2.2.1 apart from some unspecified dht exploit.

Archived