Impressive

I'm currently seeding 6 torrents and downloaded 2, uTorrent's memory footprint is: 6964K of memory and 3064K of virtual memory, the usage slightly increases over a few minutes then goes down again. CPU usage is zero. ABC on the other hand used about 17000K doing the same operation with slight CPU usage. I'm very impressed for a first release well done Ludvig, the new kid on the block has come to kick ass!

I've posted about this new piece of software to a few aquaintences, hopefully they will start using it too.... cheers

I tried Azeurus(sp?) a little while ago... and while I liked some of the features, what I really _hated_ was the fact it wanted to move my torrent files somewhere else, and place the downloaded data in places I didn't want.

I haven't downloaded uTorrent yet, tho I've heard good things about it.

What I want to know before I try it out, is will it leave my .torrent files where I left them, and do I have easier control of where the data goes?

My setup is this... Drive P: has the most space on it... I set it up specifically for housing torrents.

P:torrents

contains all of my .torrent files, and the data for each torrent is in a directory that matches the filename of the .torrent, without the extension, so I would

have:

P:torrentsomerandomtorrentfile.torrent

P:torrentsomerandomtorrentfile

I want to keep this organization.

I would try it now, but I hate to switch clients in the middle of a transfer.

Would I be able to continue organizing my stuff like this with uTorrent without much fuss?

-- Smoovious

What I want to know before I try it out, is will it leave my .torrent files where I left them, and do I have easier control of where the data goes?

P:torrents

contains all of my .torrent files, and the data for each torrent is in a directory that matches the filename of the .torrent, without the extension, so I would

have:

P:torrentsomerandomtorrentfile.torrent

P:torrentsomerandomtorrentfile

-- Smoovious

uTorrent by default makes a copy of each torrent that you add to an "internal" folder. (By default it's inside Local settings inside Documents And Settings).

You can setup that folder to be P:torrent

You can also setup the download folder to be P:torrent, then it will download to there.

Please test that and tell me if that is what you want, if not, explain in more detail what you need, and I might add it.

uTorrent by default makes a copy of each torrent that you add to an "internal" folder. (By default it's inside Local settings inside Documents And Settings).

You can setup that folder to be P:torrent

You can also setup the download folder to be P:torrent, then it will download to there.

Please test that and tell me if that is what you want, if not, explain in more detail what you need, and I might add it.

I won't be able to test it until tonight... don't wanna switch in the middle of a torrent... but if I'm following what you're saying, isn't the behavior I want.

I don't want it to make any backups or any copies for internal use. I already keep my own backup copies.

I want to put the torrents I want to get or make available in a specific spot, and I want them to stay there, and I want the client to use them and access them there, where I tell it to.

If I can disable its moving/copying/backuping torrents, have it use the torrent where I tell it to, and have it automatically create a folder to download to, based on the filename of the torrent (without the extension), and not based on what it finds within the torrent, so the torrent's filename, and directory name, match, then that works for me.

IMHO... no program should use a copy of a file in another location when I click on a file (in this case torrent)... it should use the specific file I clicked on or selected, right where it is.

The more files are copied/moved/backed up into other places, the harder it is to keep track of where everything is.

(guess I'm too old-school)

-- Smoovious

(I will check things out tonight, and get back with you for a more definitive reply)

I reached speeds twice as fast as my maximum speed on azureus with this, I strongly recommend to anyone tired of seeing their CPU/Memory usage go crazy over another bittorrent client... One single detail that's been bothering me though is that there are no option to pre-allocate disk space.

This proggie is the way software was written back when I used to code.

Excellent work, nice to see something small & efficient like it should be.

Maybe the people @ Microsoft should be looking at this as an example of what their code should look like.

Archived