Totally confused - Speed problems

aecdesign

I am so green to torrent that the jolly green giant won't have a thing to do with me. All I wanted to do is download some TV Shows that the wife and I like, so to my amazment it does something called torrent files, what ever that is. I guess I'll learn as I go, huh. Seeds,Peers???????? Well I was shocked at the length of time to download, in my case, Surface-Season 1-All episodes. You know, it took me 4 days to download 1.68 GB. Well I start to do a little reserch on the subject and found that I needed to open some router ports, so I did and that didn't help. Read a thread about :inksys WRT54G router had problems with firmware, but when I read the article it said that it didn't pertain to the Linksys WRT54G router. That's strange, the title said it did! Next I read, and got really confused mind you, the Mini Guide (that wasn't so mini)and nothing their either. So the question is this, is there anyone that could help me with my sped problems and point me in the correct direction? Oh yeah, I use uTorrent 1.5

--

Nick

I am so green to torrent that the jolly green giant won't have a thing to do with me. All I wanted to do is download some TV Shows that the wife and I like, so to my amazment it does something called torrent files, what ever that is. I guess I'll learn as I go, huh. Seeds,Peers???????? Well I was shocked at the length of time to download, in my case, Surface-Season 1-All episodes. You know, it took me 4 days to download 1.68 GB. Well I start to do a little reserch on the subject and found that I needed to open some router ports, so I did and that didn't help. Read a thread about :inksys WRT54G router had problems with firmware, but when I read the article it said that it didn't pertain to the Linksys WRT54G router. That's strange, the title said it did! Next I read, and got really confused mind you, the Mini Guide (that wasn't so mini)and nothing their either. So the question is this, is there anyone that could help me with my sped problems and point me in the correct direction? Oh yeah, I use uTorrent 1.5

--

Nick

Hey Nick,

What is your ISP? Do you know what your max download and upload speeds are? The reason it took 4 days to download 1.68 GB can have a few reasons. Your download speed might not be so high or maybe there weren't many seeds or peers to download from. So answer those few questions and we can try to help you out :)

Short version:

A seed is someone that has the file 100% and it 'seeding' to everyone else that is requesting files. A peer is someone downloading the files and who will share files that that have if requested.

Longer version:

peer

A peer is another computer on the internet that you connect to and transfer data. Generally a peer does not have the complete file, otherwise it would be called a seed. Some people also refer to peers as leeches, to distinguish them from those generous folks who have completed their download and continue to leave the client running and act as a seed.

seed

A computer that has a complete copy of a certain torrent. Once your client finishes downloading, it will remain open until you click the Finish button (or otherwise close it.) This is known as being a seed or seeding. You can also start a BT client with a complete file, and once BT has checked the file it will connect and seed the file to others. Generally, it's considered good manners to continue seeding a file after you have finished downloading, to help out others. Also, when a new torrent is posted to a tracker, someone must seed it in order for it to be available to others. Remember, the tracker doesn't know anything of the actual contents of a file, so it's important to follow through and seed a file if you upload the torrent to a tracker.

Your download speed is affected by how many seeds/peers there are, your upload speed (setting it too low can result in low download speeds and setting it too high can choke your download speeds, your ISP down/up max speeds

Just do some speed tests to get your upload speed properly (in kbps), then go to the µTorrent's Speed Guide and select the appropriate settings. Before starting the speed tests, close all the programs that might use your internet connection in order to avoid distorted results.

OK, this is what I get. Is this good or not so good?

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-06-30 20:20:11 EST:

4149 / 343

Your download speed : 4149 kbps or 518.6 KB/sec.

That is 29.8% worse than an average user on comcast.net

Your upload speed : 343 kbps or 42.8 KB/sec.

That is 16.9% worse than an average user on comcast.net

Archived