Month 1 of using torrents, Statistics are in. This good?

shoover

Here are my statistics for my first month of torrents:

Total Uploaded: 39.2 GB

Total Downloaded: 73.2 GB

Total Running Time: 427:31:30

Number of files added: 29

Program Started: 6 Times

#incoming conns since start: 0

#outgoing conns since start: 2682

#handshake: 5868

Size of disk queue: 1

#connections: 17

#half-open: 8

Piece Cache: 0 bytes (0% effective)

Well guys, can I get an opinion? Is this good?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's mine :-

Total Uploaded :3.68 GB

Total Downloaded :7.87 GB

Total Running Time :244 :43:20

Number of files added :152

Program started :200 times

# incoming conns since star:63

# outgoing conns since star:4

# handshake : 53

# connections: 11

# hal-open :0

just edited to show the new reality 27/06/06

The only issue I see here is that he's got this Piece Cache thing while I don't & I don't know whether that's a good thing/bad thing.

Well, if he seeds to greater than 1.0 ratio, that just creates another leecher -- someone else who can't seed to 1.0 because he overseeds. What I would say? Share at least to approximately 1.0 ratio, doesn't matter if it's not exactly there. Share higher if you want, but as long as you share close to 1.0, you can't really be called a leecher.

---------------------------

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 1469 GB

Total Downloaded: 1018 GB

Total Running Time: 2188:00:12

Number of files added: 387

Program started: 297 times

# incoming conns since start: 164

# outgoing conns since start: 18

# handshake: 171

# connections: 19

# half-open: 0

the totals should really be in TB.

Well Guys I cant help it. After all, I am on a home connection. And on a 5 computer network. I can only get 35 Kb/s as my most of upload w/o lagging the network. Also I download so much stuff, average is at about 75 kb/s. So I cant guarantee 1 Ratio just yet. I always upload though.

I'm on a home network with 7 computers. My line's max upload rating? 384kbit/s. What are my statistics?

Total Uploaded: 70.2 GB

Total Downloaded: 40.8 GB

Keep in mind that I limit my upload to 15KiB/s so as to not disrupt my family's internet usage. Having a low upload speed isn't an excuse for having a low upload. The (simple) solution is just to leave it running for longer. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "oh be like me and upload like crazy," I'm just saying that having a ~0.55 ratio isn't so hot, considering how my case is more extreme than yours, and yet I'm still able to do much better. At least ~0.9 might've been more excusable, but at your ratio, you're obviously axing the torrent prematurely rather than letting it run until your ratio is closer to 1.0 =T

Excellent. This thread has the potential to turn into a real pissing contest. :)

How is it you guys expect everyone to seed above 1?

Because that's how bittorrent works. You upload what you download. If everyone did it, we'd all be downloading at the max speeds of our connection, without having to wait.

Mathematically there'd always be users with a ratio lower than 1, but since there's a lot of leechers / hit and runners / other methods of getting upload count / BitComets, there's enough for the 'good' people to get a positive ratio with. :P

Mathematically there'd always be users with a ratio lower than 1[...]

But only if you do not see the rule that no torrent would ever die if you do your part ;)

BTW my part:

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 197 GB

Total Downloaded: 241 GB

Total Running Time: 3660:02:16

Number of files added: 671

Program started: 90 times

Note that i'm on a fucking 2000:200 kb line and that the differences result from torrenting opnesource CC stuff that is hard to give back if you fight with your 200kilobits against ISP backbone seeding boxes ;)

Edit:

Jivan: your question; No thats not bad. he is jsut using an earlier version of µT were the cache infos were still in this stats section. you use newer version where it is not more shown there. No need to worry for you.

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 473 GB

Total Downloaded: 491 GB

Total Running Time: 5134:36:20

Number of files added: 1659

Program started: 217 times

# incoming conns since start: 8741

# outgoing conns since start: 8372

# handshake: 20330

# connections: 127

OK

But if you add it with my Azureus ratio, it's positive! :P That, and I got away with a lot of extra leeching with free leech weekends (where it's acceptable to do so) and so on.

eat this:

Total Uploaded: 170 GB

Total Downloaded: 6.01 GB

Total Running Time: 1670:36:54

Number of files added: 163

Program started: 85 times

# incoming conns since start: 11025

# outgoing conns since start: 709

# handshake: 4549

# connections: 12

Well, if he seeds to greater than 1.0 ratio, that just creates another leecher -- someone else who can't seed to 1.0 because he overseeds. What I would say? Share at least to approximately 1.0 ratio, doesn't matter if it's not exactly there. Share higher if you want, but as long as you share close to 1.0, you can't really be called a leecher.

What about lost bandwidth? Peers who disconnect from the swarm midway because they find they aren't interested anyway? Plain average leechers? Overseeding isn't good, but I don't think a ratio of 1 is enough either. I always find it puzzeling that private tracker admins don't recommend any good ratio's based on their statistics. Some have serious issues with overseeding, some exactly the opposite.

Yeah, "only" around 1.0 isn't exactly great, but as was already said, 1.0 for everyone isn't always possible, but if you share at close to or at that ratio, you're at least trying to upload as much as you download. Fine, it's always more generous to share more, but that doesn't mean it should be imposed on everyone either -- it's not always possible, whatever reasons there may be. Overseeding I'm not a big fan of either, I just happen to do it because the torrents I've been on lately have had a lack of seeds, me usually being one of 2 or 3.

Total Uploaded: 3302 GB

Total Downloaded: 858 GB

Total Running time: 3757:03:48

Number of files added: 1061

Program started: 164 times

# incoming conns since start: 2627

# outgoing conns since start: 1125

# handshake: 4141

# connections 31

Archived