Month 1 of using torrents, Statistics are in. This good?

shoover

you leechers got some balls posting your stats :rolleyes:

Here's my confession.

I will download things from a public tracker as fast as possible, with uncapped upstream. Whether I seed 100% or 0.1% of said torrent during this time, the INSTANT it has finished, I will stop it. Public trackers are utterly relentless, no one seeds (after finishing), and I'd rather not give away my upstream for faggots that are just going to leech from me and not seed with me a torrent that will ultimately die in 3 days anyway...

Private trackers, I will seed indefinitely.

Edit: and for the record, here are my stats.

Total Uploaded: 62.3 GB

Total Downloaded: 92.3 GB

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will download things from a public tracker as fast as possible, with uncapped upstream.

Actually, you'd get faster download speeds and potentially faster UPLOAD speeds were you to download from a public tracker with upstream capped at ~90% max.

But that you feel no obligation to seed any at all on public trackers means you're contributing to the problem we all hate -- torrents dead in 3 days.

Just goes to show no raindrop feels responsible for the flood.

[...]and I'd rather not give away my upstream for faggots that are just going to leech from me and not seed with me a torrent that will ultimately die in 3 days anyway...

Private trackers, I will seed indefinitely.

Because of "faggots" like YOU there is this problem you are describing on public Trackers.

You are just an antisosocial asshole!

Go shot yourself with a pumpgun!

is this ok ?

---------------------------

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 385 MB

Total Downloaded: 1.52 GB

Total Running Time: 10:47:00

Number of files added: 21

Program started: 18 times

# incoming conns since start: 1703

# outgoing conns since start: 56

# handshake: 1393

# connections: 29

# half-open: 0

Because of "faggots" like YOU there is this problem you are describing on public Trackers.

Why deviate from the standard and seed for people who are just going to quit as soon as they have the entire file anyway? Public torrents are rape.

is this ok ?

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 385 MB

Total Downloaded: 1.52 GB

Total Running Time: 10:47:00

Number of files added: 21

Program started: 18 times

# incoming conns since start: 1703

# outgoing conns since start: 56

# handshake: 1393

# connections: 29

Nope. Seed more.

Why contribute to the destruction of BitTorrent by hit-and-running ALL the time, just because alot of others are doing so by being hardcore leeches?

Private trackers should not be "the only way to go", but you are working along with the poisoners and fakers to make that happen.

Running with an uncapped upload and download speed in µTorrent will cause some problems (random slowdowns, dropped/snubbed connections), plus setting a high but useable upload speed would actually increase the average upload speed.

I can only get 35 Kb/s as my most of upload w/o lagging the network. Also I download so much stuff, average is at about 75 kb/s.

DUDE :/

Everyone can download much faster then they can upload. Just take some time to stop downloading and do some only uploading.

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 172 GB

Total Downloaded: 150 GB

Total Running Time: 1095:20:01

Number of files added: 280

Program started: 443 times

# incoming conns since start: 3

# outgoing conns since start: 10

# handshake: 27

# connections: 9

OK

Here are my results:

Total Uploaded 459 GB

Total Downloaded 34.9 GB

Total Running Time: 2062:06:21

Number of Files Added 296

Program started 83 times

# incoming conns since start 878

# of outgoing conns since start 45

# handshakes 835

# connections 47

# half-open 0

Stats show more than 1 month :) µtorrent is awesome Great program that is easy on the cpu. Thanks

I will download things from a public tracker as fast as possible' date=' with uncapped upstream.[/quote']

Actually, you'd get faster download speeds and potentially faster UPLOAD speeds were you to download from a public tracker with upstream capped at ~90% max.

But that you feel no obligation to seed any at all on public trackers means you're contributing to the problem we all hate -- torrents dead in 3 days.

Just goes to show no raindrop feels responsible for the flood.

Whether I seed or not, the torrent will die. I don't want to be the one remaining seeder that people just hit and run from.

Does anyone understand where I'm coming from?

Whether I seed or not, the torrent will die. I don't want to be the one remaining seeder that people just hit and run from.

Does anyone understand where I'm coming from?

My torrents keep alive since i seed them when they seem dead, and then people pick 'em up and it stays alive for a long time until i need to seed 'em again, doesnt happen very often you know...

even sacrifating with a little seed to keep it alive is better than see 'em dead, would you like to see 'em dead when u are gonna download?

Total Uploaded 13 GB

Total Downloaded 80.5 GB

Total Running Time: 630:0326

Number of Files Added 222

Program started 148 times

Upload capped at 6k with no problems reaching max dl speed most of the time, I know should be ashamed but.. meh o_O

@m0oSe: lol you're going to get a HECK OF A LOT of flaming if people see it... you really have no reason to be capped at 6KiB/s. Really. It does not affect other applications until it reaches > 80% of your max upload speed.

@Mason: Yes it's perfectly fine.

Nevermind figured it out, Is this good?

Yes, your average uptime is about 3.5 hours, you've uploaded about 1 GB every 12-13 hours (~23.1 KB/sec sustained upload rate), and since your upload to download ratio is 3.2:1 you're an unusually "friendly" seeder.

Only thing to watch out for is you may (but probably don't!) have too many connections at once or lots of torrents with too many upload slots each, making it take a long time to download any single torrent. Plus, with too many upload slots, you may be sending out a lot of data -- but it gets duplicated by people uploading to the same peers.

Upload capped at 6k with no problems reaching max dl speed most of the time

The only reason you can reach max download speed is probably because what you're downloading has lots of seeds. However if you're downloading at nearly max it means a LOT of others aren't. ...and with you only offering 6 KB/sec upload in return, it seems a bum deal to them.

On any poorly seeded torrent with LOTS of peers, uploading really slowly will hurt you versis everyone else -- their completed percent will race ahead of yours. And before long you may have few to nobody to share with even if you did increase upload speed...and if you're not sharing with anyone, very few will give you anything in return!

So if uploading at 15 KB/sec cuts your download speed in half, it's probably because you only have 128 kilobits/sec max upload bandwidth. So...upload at only 10 KB/sec (2/3's of 15) and see if that's not the best of both -- maintaining high(er) download and upload speed at once.

Snoopy, by the looks of your ratio, the only thing you need to look out for is more good stuff to download. ;)

Here's mine:

Total Uploaded: 134 GB

Total Downloaded: 170 GB

Total Running Time: 2026:50:48

Number of files added: 153

Program started: 41 times

Slightly misleading, as I've downloaded a few freebies from a particular site, and on average I upload approximately 2.5-3GB per day. my ratios for the 3 main trackers I use are:

- 326GB uploaded, 2.6 ratio

- 11GB uploaded, 1.1 ratio

- 8GB uploaded, 3.04 ratio

I'll admit to hit'n'running the odd time on public trackers (let's be honest, who doesn't?) but only if there's tens or hundreds of seeds and no leechers. Even if I'm dropping the torrent early, I'll rarely seed to less than 0.7 anyway, just because of how long it takes me to get around to removing the torrent (roll on the webui wink ).

I think the main issue isn't necessarily to be a pious seed-freak, but to seed when you need to (when it's big file, few seeders, lots of leechers, or relatively new releases/content).

I have a capped TX of 100Gb/month, I'm unfortunately not willing to pay $7 for every Gb I go over just to have a 1.0 ratio. That would limit me to 50Gb/month including HTTP, FTP and VoIP traffic.

So far I'm doing pretty good, but I have to cap upload or pause everything if a call comes in after 3PM because of the spike in traffic on this segment of the Rogers network (kids home from school, pr0n freaks home for work, etc...)

It sucks, but we all can't have the luxury of unlimited TX.

------------------------------------------------

Total Uploaded: 112 GB

Total Downloaded: 122 GB

Total Running Time: 2071:28:34

Number of files added: 433

Program started: 66 times

------------------------------------------------

234Gb transfered in 86 days. Pipe is 5000/800 on a good day -- but I rarely see anything close to full speeds anymore. :(

I'm unfortunately not willing to pay $7 for every Gb I go over just to have a 1.0 ratio.

Interesting attitude. So in other words you're happy to leech whilst others pay for the upload bandwidth to satisfy your downloads? Nice.

Have you ever considered just limiting your downloads so that you can seed 1:1 and remain within your bandwidth limitation? :rolleyes:

I'm going to get mauled for posting this, but who cares :)

-------

Total Uploaded : 77.2GB

Total Downloaded : 281GB

Total Running Time : 2627:19:42

Number of files added : 522

Program Started : 94 times

Incoming conns since start : 47132

outgoing conns since start : 11461

----

Why is my ratio so horribly-low? Do I hate bittorrent and want it to die? Not at all..

No, a few reasons :

I'm selective about stuff I reseed.. For example, the last Tool album, I seeded to something like a ratio of 20, where as something I might download "to try out", to see if I like, I'll try it one, or watch a bit of it, if I don't like it, that torrent gets stopped.. The more I like something, the more I'll seed it.. Yes I know this will get lots of "omg ur killing the bittorrent network!11" replys, but thats not true.. People who like the torrent will seed it, not everyone likes the same thing, bu as long as theres atleast a few people who like it, it'll contiue to be seeded (along with who ever released it of course)

Second, my connection is 8mb/512kb, which is roughtly a 0.2 ratio.. Matches my bittorrent ratio, doesn't it.. (Well, acctualy my upload ratio is a little over what my connection's is, but thats not the point).. Yes thats not an excuse, but.. I'm downloading nearly constantly, so, by limitations of my connection, my upload will ALWAYS be lower than my download ratio..

Finally, due to the somewhat idiotic way some torrents are released (notable in multipart .rar's, which are not unnessariry due to decent error checking in clients now, multipart things aren't only really usefull sending large files over slow connections, where if the connection dropped, you'd have to start again, and where starting again on a 5mb file is better than starting again on a 100mb file), I really don't want to have an uncompressed copy of the file (which I'd watch, or use), AND all the RAR files.. Although it does solve the second part of this : I want to move the files around, rename them, delete unnessairy files etc.. xfc-1.avi is fine for a release, but in a folder of hundereds of files, it's very very hard to pick a certain film or ISO out, so I like to rename them, move the files about..

Example : For films, they go from the Downloads/complete, to, Video/ToWatch, then Video/Films.. Assuming I don't rename them, to reset the download path every time is a HUGE pain, and if I don't want to keep a certain file (Some come with several .nfo files, most of which are just added by who ever reseeded the file, and don't have any usefull information, other times they come with unnessairy files/programs, which I don't want to keep around)..

Someone give me a valid soloution (or a 10/10 connection :P) to all these and I'll seed for ever..

(Just to clear up, I do seed things I like to a decent level)

- Ben

Second, my connection is 8mb/512kb, which is roughtly a 0.2 ratio.. Matches my bittorrent ratio, doesn't it.. (Well, acctualy my upload ratio is a little over what my connection's is, but thats not the point).. Yes thats not an excuse, but.. I'm downloading nearly constantly, so, by limitations of my connection, my upload will ALWAYS be lower than my download ratio..

Not that old chestnut. :rolleyes:

Everyone's connection is faster down than up. My connection is 3.5Mbps down, 480kbps upstream. Yet I seed 3x on most torrents I download, and 1:1 on the rest. For those which I don't have a ratio of 1 or greater, it's because I choose not to seed (I make no bones about it).

If I had a penny for every user I've heard on private trackers whinging that they can't seed because their upload speed is a fraction of their download speed, I could buy all the stuff I download.

Fact is, you have 8Mb down and 0.5Mb up? So download in 1 hour, seed for 16. Job done, 1:1 ratio gained. Download/upload speed differences simply is not an excuse, and you're only kidding your self.

You leech, period. Don't be ashamed, but don't try to wrap it up in some other irrelevant excuse. :rolleyes:

Archived