Month 1 of using torrents, Statistics are in. This good?

shoover

As I said, "who cares", I'm not bothered by my ratio, I've seeded stuff I thought was worth seeding..

What I was trying to say is if you constantly download, theres no time to seed it (Well, there is, but I'd much rather continue the other downloads, which is a whole other discussion ::) )

"Fact is, you have 8Mb down and 0.5Mb up? So download in 1 hour, seed for 16. Job done, 1:1 ratio gained", problem with that, when not downloading just one thing at a time, then waiting for it to seed to 1:1 (Same thing applies to maybe 2 or 3 torrents at a time), is if you have a fairly long queue, to wait for each torrent to go to 1:1 would draw the lenght of the queue out huugely.. Besides, I said the connection wasn't an excuse, but you missed that in your quote :P

I tend to just add, say, 10 torrents, and leave them. When they complete, they get set as Queued seeds, which I have to stop to move them to the appropriate folder (Some things I want to seed, or haven't uploaded much while downloading, I'll reset their downloads path, but it's extremely tedious to do this for lots of torrents..).. Once their done, more torrents end up in the queue etcetcblahblah

I'm not trying kidding anyone, I'm just saying what/why I do :P

- Ben

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a capped TX of 100Gb/month

112 GB up and 122 GB down is hardly leeching, considering the circumstances. Best bet is to find out what you can consistantly upload at and set µTorrent's upload speed considerably below that. You probably won't want a high connection max (like 200+), since each one is eating into your monthly quota. Many torrents would run ok even with 10 connections, though I recommend 30-50 just so you are more likely to find a couple faster uploaders.

I have only ~380 kilobit/sec upload bandwidth and because I have no monthly quota limit I can upload near my max almost 24/7. That's just over 3 GB a day.

@WebReaper

My stats really don't indicate that I leech -- I'm only 10GB away from a 1:1 ratio.

My previous post actually indicates that I'm already doing just what you've advised and limit my transfer to avoid the extra bandwidth costs I would otherwise incurr. Other people's willingness to pay for bandwidth overage is their concern, not mine.

Interesting attitude. So in other words you're happy to leech whilst others pay for the upload bandwidth to satisfy your downloads? Nice.

You act as if $7/Gb is nothing to worry about.. that would be $70 for me to upload 10Gb over my limit, which can easily be done in a few days. I pay $60/month for this line, including modem rental and 'network fees' which would make the bandwidth included in this package worth less than $0.50/Gb.

If you think that the $6.50/Gb mark-up should be ignored just to maintain a 1:1 ratio and make torrent elitists like yourself approve of my usage stats, you can blow....

... or find me a job that would allow me to be that frivolous with my money, your choice.

My stats with utorrent: :)

I'm no leech as you will see. heh

Total Uploaded: 46.3 gb

Total Downloaded: 4.3gb

Total Running time: 1741:09:05

Number of files added: 253 (I assume this means the torrents, not the files inside?)

I don't have current month stats... sorry.

If you think that the $6.50/Gb mark-up should be ignored just to maintain a 1:1 ratio and make torrent elitists like yourself approve of my usage stats, you can blow....

Wasn't saying that at all. But your argument is akin to saying "I don't earn enough to own jewellery, so I'll steal it instead". Fact is, if your circumstances mean you have limited bandwidth, then just don't download as much. :)

Alternatively, find another ISP. I pay £14.99/month for my connection, which gives me a 3.5Mb pipe, 480kbps upstream, 20GB of transfers per month between 6pm and midnight and unlimited data transfer at all other times. Hardly bank-breaking. :D

Mind you, this whole thread's hypocritical anyway. Everyone (including me) who's bitching about leechers 'stealing' ratio, etc., is probably forgetting the fact that 99% of the content most people download over bittorrent is stolen/pirated anyway. ;):lol:

sorry its not 99%. bittorrent has FAR more uses than distributing copyrighted stuff.

and anyway i do agree that many people have very bad upload speeds due to cost problems, geographical locations etc. Just seed as much as your situation allows.

sorry its not 99%. bittorrent has FAR more uses than distributing copyrighted stuff.

Of course bittorrent has other uses than distributing copyrighted stuff. But you only have to look at the overall volume of TPB and mininova combined (just to name 2) to see that in percentage terms, distribution of copyrighted material far outweighs that of legal content. 99% is probably a realistic percentage - and if you think otherwise, you're just kidding yourself. :rolleyes:

Indeed it does.

I haven't been too active lately, and I have several computers on this network that I would have to monitor. Too much effort to monitor them all. :P

Something on your router monitoring bandwidth useage might make sense then.. Most routers have some form of stats, even my cheapo router has SNMP, which would allow me to setup MRTG (Multi-Router Traffic Grapher) if I needed, but most of my downloading is on one computer, the rest use fairly low ammounts, that combined with no bandwidth limit means I don't have to monitor bandwidth too closely

- Ben

• 2 months later...

---------------------------

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 514 GB

Total Downloaded: 439 GB

Total Running Time: 3155:45:51

Number of files added: 912

Program started: 223 times

# incoming conns since start: 2746

# outgoing conns since start: 559

# handshake: 2986

# connections: 41

# half-open: 0

OK

I am worrying about my handshake value. Is it to high or not?

And also I would like to say that there are torrents out there that have a lot of seeders and none leechers. So your ratio for such torrents is always zero.

In the private tracker that I use, you can find torrents that has up to 500 seeders and only 1 or 2 leechers, so the only way that you can increase your ratio, is only by uploading new torrents.

just started it up to grab the stats. i'm not a 24/7er like some of you :P

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 617 GB

Total Downloaded: 276 GB

Total Running Time: 4117:27:08

Number of files added: 937

Program started: 500 times

# incoming conns since start: 0

# outgoing conns since start: 0

# handshake: 0

# connections: 0

# half-open: 0

OK

oh and i agree with bellicose earlier; it should know when to switch to TB totals, and also it'd be nice if it knew when to switch from hours to days and to weeks.

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 284 GB

Total Downloaded: 289 GB

Total Running Time: 5458:46:48

Number of files added: 853

Program started: 118 times

Someone would praise me please, since i'm on a fucking 2000:200kilobits A-DSL line!

Edit: and considering my good behaviour compared to earlier stats http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=190167#p190167 I think I have earned some praising ;-)

µTorrent

Total Uploaded: 184 GB

Total Downloaded: 430 GB

Total Running Time: 2171:56:18

Number of files added: 996

Program started: 429 times

# incoming conns since start: 1955

# outgoing conns since start: 2403

# handshake: 5446

# connections: 429