Single click tray icon to show/hide main window [added poll]

Grnch

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for one click. Not just because most of my tray icons require only one click, but because the taskbar requires only one click to bring an open window to focus on top. I think everything in the whole bar (taskbar and notification tray) should work the same way.

How do single clicks lead to errors?

People who are used to double clicking and like double clicking end up bringing up 2 windows which is a real pain. I suppose that is an error. Or the window will just maximise then minimise. This isn't just a windows thing, many of the other systems I have used use a double click method.

Astral Monkey was being sarcastic, paritybit. ;)

B.t.w., single-click is winning... :P

ah serves me right for posting while tired. :P I really should rest before trying to tackle these forums.

It could be easily programmed to treat double clicks as a single click, so I don't see where that's a problem.

For example, whether I single click or double click on my FlashGet icon, it brings up the window. It doesn't open and then close it.

I use another program called TrayIt, which adds systray functionality to programs which don't offer that option. Same thing, either single click or double click brings up the program in question. No opening and closing.

I don't even see where it needs to be an option. Just have it respond to either, as many other programs do. IMO, the only time to use double click to restore a program is when a single click is assigned another task.

Double-Click is the standard for Windows UI design guidelines, as far as i know.

If it is standard, why doesn't Windows XP stick to those 'design guidelines'? Let's see (all built-in XP apps):

+ Clock: double-click

+ Volume: single-click (Mixer: double-click)

+ Local Area Connection Status: single-click

+ Task Manager: double-click

(+ Quick Launch: single-click)

My vote is for single-click to bring up the window (and to treat double-click as single-click). Makes more sense for utorrent, as there is no function assigned to single click.

There are much, MUCH more important things to addfix in uTorrent before resorting to silly little things like the color of the bars and single or double clicks.

It looks like you're the real head of µtorrent project. Should we address our requests to you personally?

.. and poll results actually matter. :rolleyes:

No, they don't, actually. :) But you seem to have a pretty negative attitude in most of your posts...what's the matter? :?

There are 30 other people who didnt like this suggestion. Why not ask them about their negative attitude ? :?

It looks like you're the real head of µtorrent project. Should we address our requests to you personally?

I am not a developer of uTorrent, never have been, Nor a moderator, nor anything else besides just a normal user expressing his opinion. Should i stop posting because people dislike my opinion ?

I am not a developer of uTorrent, never have been, Nor a moderator, nor anything else besides just a normal user expressing his opinion. Should i stop posting because people dislike my opinion ?

I didn't suppose to shut you up but I'll be very grateful to you if you will express your opinions in less peremptory way.

.. and poll results actually matter. :rolleyes:

No, they don't, actually. :) But you seem to have a pretty negative attitude in most of your posts...what's the matter? :?

There are 30 other people who didnt like this suggestion. Why not ask them about their negative attitude ? :?

Because they aren't thread crapping/trolling in almost every thread, which seems to be the general theme with you. :!:

Stating your opinion is one thing, but saying things in an authoritive manner like:

Why would you need a 64bit version ?

Just because you have a 64bit CPUOS doesnt mean it actually gives any benefit to a bittorrent client.

I'm sure you can run the 32bit version on your system regardless.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?p=8921&highlight=#8921

...or downright flaming, like this little gem:

bkman: And you should go code your own client if you dont like the developer's decision.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?p=7273&highlight=#7273

Perhaps I missed something, but are you a µTorrent developer? Or are you simply a user, just like the rest of us? :? If so, it's time for you to calm down and start asking things/stating your opinion nicely from now on. :)

I voted for one click. Not just because most of my tray icons require only one click, but because the taskbar requires only one click to bring an open window to focus on top. I think everything in the whole bar (taskbar and notification tray) should work the same way.
I agree

Just make single click and double click the same 8)

There are much, MUCH more important things to addfix in uTorrent before resorting to silly little things like the color of the bars and single or double clicks.

Agreed, but this little feature is trivial to change, only a single line of code: just change the check for the event from DBLCLICK to CLICK (or whatever the actual constants are).

There are other more important features, but they also require more effort, it's not like this change would take away any significant fraction of time from the other work.

I also like what someone else suggested, make it come up on BOTH single-click and double-click, that should also be almost a single line change.

Either way most people have said "you can just have an option to turn it on or off in the options menu".

This isn't the answer to everything. uTorrent will get to the point where the binary is about 5meg because of the thousands of options that will be in the menu. Color select, double or single click from tray, flash on focus, hell, just because you want something doesn't mean it is alright just to make it an option. Sure this satisfys the most people but to quote Bob Dylan: "If I can't please everybody I might as well not please nobody at all. (there's but so many people an I just can't please them all)."

Archived