How to fix this error

Cobras

I like uTorrent and a recent convert from bitcomet. It works fine but when torrent is clicked, it prompted an error box as follow:

Windows cannot find "C:Documents and Settins.....\xxx.torrent". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

But uTorrent does d/l torrent files. The error box comes up every time whenever a torrent is clicked.

Please advise me how to fix this unwelcomed error. Cobras

First, in BitComet(if you still have it installed) press "Ctrl + P", go to "Advanced" and uncheck "Default Bittorrent Client". After that, get the latest version of uTorrent, start it up and press F8 and then press "Associate with .torrent files". Done.

Thanks. That eliminated the error. Then, dowloading torrent files became a two-steps operation. With bitComet, when I click a hyperlink, it automatically started to download the files (in zip, RAR, or in other format) to C:Download folder.

Now, I must save "*.torrent" file on desk top. Then, uTorrent starts to download the original files. It seems that I might hve overlooked something here. Please advise me how to make it one step download from hyperlink to uTorrent. Thanks. Cobras

You have to check your browser to automatically open .torrent files with the associated program. (e.g. FireFox asks you every time, until you click the checkbox to remember the choice.)

Excuse me. Could you please tell mw how. I am using Internet Explorer.

In the past, I have done anything but BitComet autcmatially downloaded files. TIA. Cobars

You cant have TWO programs opening torrent files. Decide whichever client you want as the default opener for .torrent files and associate it. (uTorrent's "Associate With Torrents" and BitComet's "Default Client").

IIt's a misunderstanding. Two programs are not opned simulaneously. BitComet is is still not there but not active. Only uTorrent is active. Because of two steps d/l is a time-consuming process. I am going to unload it and go back to BitComet. Cobras

When you click on a link I believe IE asks you whether you want to download it or directly open it with the associated program. If not, then you must have changed some settings.

I'm not using IE (coz' it suxx), so you have to check the options yourself.

And there's nothing wrong with uTorrent, I can download everything with a single click.

You cant have TWO programs opening torrent files. Decide whichever client you want as the default opener for .torrent files and associate it. (uTorrent's "Associate With Torrents" and BitComet's "Default Client").

IIt's a misunderstanding. Two programs are not opned simulaneously. BitComet is is still not there but not active. Only uTorrent is active. Because of two steps d/l is a time-consuming process. I am going to unload it and go back to BitComet. Cobras

You're going to drop the client because you cant take the time to make uTorrent the default handler for torrents ? (One single click inside of uTorrent's options)

'don't know if this can help but I've had the same "can't find .torrent" problem when trying to open .torrents in japanese and the reason was this : µtorrent doesn't function with unicode fonts, so it can "read" only english and the few other langages that have a langage pack and won't "find" any file written with characters it doesn't know.

If you tried to open a .torrent in an esoteric langage, try simply renaming it and it might just do the trick.

If it works you'll also have to rename properly the downloaded files, since µtorrent will save the letters unknown to it with its own character set.

Cheers :)

Clear ur temp files cache. In IE, go to Tools/Internet Options. Where it says "Temporary Internet Files", hit the delete button.

This also helps with speed issues when surfing the net and for getting accurate speeds when using speed test sites (ex. toast.net/performance)

U should also use the disk cleanup tool at least every 3-4 weeks, especially if u download large files from sites alot. (I mean reg DL, not torrents.) They remain in ur temp internet files cache. U will be surprised how much harddrive spaced is eaten up without ur knowledge.

Archived