Interesting phenomena with my uTorrent speed.

Coaster

I am having serious problems, I can start uTorrent and only get speeds very very Low, like - 3ish, stop uTorrent, restart maybe 5ish, restart maybe only .2 etc.

What is odd is once in a while when I start uTorrent WOW speeds are great, ubuntu might DL at 150 to 300+ then within 2 to 10 mins it just drops off very quickly down to the horrible 3ish lvl etc. This happens right outta the blue with no changes to configuation having taken place. Seeds and peers remain in excellent numbers. And I don't mean once in a while over a period of days, I mean it happens 1 out of around 20 times of starting and stopping uTorrent. No use running it at 3ish speed. :( Can't even surf the web when its like that. So I close it. Then restart to see if by some miricle it started working right LOL. For the short period it might have GOOD speed though I can surf all I want.

Anyone have any idea why once in a while I can connect and get very good speed only to have it drop off and not stay good like that?

I have green light port open and forwarded correctly all the time.

P4 3.0 ghz

1024 ram

windows xp pro sp2

Asante router

wi-fi internet connection

Using uTorrent 1.5 stable but have tried utorrent-1.5.1-beta-build-465 and utorrent-1.5.1-beta-build-466 with same exact results.

Did have avast anti virus but at current moment is unintalled to test if that was problem - no change

also had Kerio personal firewall - unintalled to test - no change

Turned off the windows firewall - no change

Read the FAQ

tried every speed in speed guide (Ctrl G) used to choose upload speed

read the stickies in the Speed Problems subforum

Lately have made no changes and is still doing as described above. Since i do get good speeds once in a while i thought to just leave it alone till I can get some help figuring out WHY..... since it must be configured somewhat properly if I can get speeds upwards of 300 even if only briefly.

I have no idea what to try anymore.....is it possible that ISP can throttle just one individual? But that wouldnt explain why I can briefly get good DL's at times. So see, just out of ideas.....

forgot to mention it affects upload speeds the same way.

Yes, I did try that, however, when i hooked the cable from the radio reciever to my computer i couldnt access the internet. I tried several different combinations of connections and I can't connect unless its through the Router. Unless you can tell me how maybe?

If it's a cable modem (what kind BTW), you need to powercycle the modem so it will pick up the new CPE MAC Address of your network card. Plug it directly into your computer, then unplug the modem for 10 seconds, and then plug it back in.

And yes, it is VERY easy for your ISP to throttle specific individuals.

OH, i see a yellow ! in device manager for ethernet controller......Could this possibly be my problem?? ? it needs the driver installed. but i dont know what driver to get. Don't know how to tell what ethernet controller it is? DO I even need to use the ethernet controller? or is that something left over from when i had DSL? Computer seems to be working fine without the ethernet controller except this uTorrent speed thing..

Coaster: LNE100TX is not a modem, it is the Ethernet adapter card in your PC to which you connect your modem or router. You should definitely install a driver for it. A quick Google search for Linksys followed by a search for your model number found drivers here: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416833483&packedargs=site%3DUS&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

What is odd is once in a while when I start uTorrent WOW speeds are great, ubuntu might DL at 150 to 300+ then within 2 to 10 mins it just drops off very quickly down to the horrible 3ish lvl etc. This happens right outta the blue with no changes to configuation having taken place. Seeds and peers remain in excellent numbers. And I don't mean once in a while over a period of days, I mean it happens 1 out of around 20 times of starting and stopping uTorrent. No use running it at 3ish speed. :( Can't even surf the web when its like that. So I close it. Then restart to see if by some miricle it started working right LOL. For the short period it might have GOOD speed though I can surf all I want.

Define excellent number of seeds and peers, and make sure most of them are not BitCometers. With BitCometers it can often get like this - them ignoring you or trickling for days, then one day they suddenly decide to send and make up their whole week of ignoring you. It's the reason I don't ban BitComet guys - you never know when the flood would come and you don't want to miss it.

Recently, I kinda notice BitComet doesn't even talk with its own anymore. I had this torrent just now (which started out great like yours, then dropped in 10 minutes like yours to a trickle). There were all these BitCometers and myself, all with 99.9%. There is this one guy with 41%, which includes exactly the one piece we all need to finish. He isn't asking anyone for anything despite having 59% to go. No one is getting that one final piece from him either...

This morning i was using the mondospeed test site (without Utorrent running) and my speeds were arount 150 down and 35 up ran the test several times, then WOW alla sudden one test came back as 350ish down and 350ish up. So I quick went and started Utorrent and sweeeet was getting excellent speeds 35ish up and down connected to many peers 20+ peers and 20+ seeds. Well that lasted all of 7 minutes then it whoosh went right down to .2 again. - - - I turned Utorrent off and went to mondospeed site again and 150ish down and 35 up again. What is happening that makes my internet connection do this?

More INFO on this problem...... I did what SL 83 suggested and reset my modem. With nothing running that would use bandwidth WOW speeds upwards off 3000 NICE. Your download was clocked at 2680.3 kilobits per second - 335.0375 kilobytes per second

But when i use Utorrent speed drops off and goes down to 150ish kilobits down and 35ish kilobits up or less Extremely slow. :(

Turn off Utorrent and speed will not go back up to what is should be unless I reset modem again.

I can surf the web all day with speeds well into the 20000 to 30000 range it stays that way unless I open Utorrent. Your download was clocked at 2192 kilobits per second - 274 kilobytes per second

I even tried Azureus to see and is the same.

What is the reason I cant use any bittorrent program without losing all the speed and having to reset the modem to gain the speed back?

What kind of modem is it? Are you using the Asante router still? And finally, are you resetting the MODEM or the Asante Router? If you're resetting the Asante router, the reason your speeds come back is because BitTorrent is overloading your router. You'll need to limit the max concurrent connections.

It is a tranzeo modem and all i do is unplug the power cord from it for 30 secs then replug wait a few secs and test speed again with nothing running and speed is up good again. I don't do anything with the Router itself.

I left computer on (no torrent program) this after noon and when i came back speed was gone again. Gonna check that again.

ok confirmed, I left computer on nothing running, speed was excellent, came back some time later and speed was LOW. A modem reset fixed it right up again.

My question now is.... I have done port forward recently with static IP address. I followed the steps in the guides etc and when i do run uTorrent i have the green light with ok for port forward. I wonder though if I have changed something that is causing me not to be able to maintain the best speed for very long . And how can I check this?

Or do you all think it is simply my router or modem not working properly?

If SL83's advice still doesn't help, I would suggest you the following:

1. uninstall/install everything you need to get rid of that yellow mark in Device manager - it's possible to be a conflict there;

2. check your system for adware/spyware with BOTH Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D, of course after you update their definitions files (the possibility that some malware "hog" so much bandwith is very small thou, but still...); it would be good if you post the number of problems found by each program...

reboot your computer after steps 1 and 2.

3. try to find (borrow) another modem that you're sure it works and replace yours temporarily

4. as a last solution try to format/reinstall from scratch...

If those are not helpful either, then must be your ISP throttling you - I don't see other possible causes...

to figure out the unknown ethernet adapter get a prog called, Unknown Devices, do a google for it, run that it'll tell you what the ethernet adapter is pretty quick, then jog on over to DriverGuide.com and do a search for that driver and et Voila you'll be off to the races.

as for your speed problems sounds like a few things, modem throttling your connection speed, router throttling your connection speed, have you fixed the XP SP2 max half open connections to greater than 10 just in case?

Archived