RSS problems

bkman

The problem is caused because the file returned from the tracker is an HTML page with an error, insteadl of the torrent file.

What would be really handy is if uTorrent 'tasted' the file returned, and if it's an HTML file not a Torrent file, it could shellexecute the RSS URL so the default browser fires up with the error page displayed in it, which would make it immediately obvious to the user what the problem was. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is the part of the manual to read? I noticed that one of my RSS feeds worked, but the other 4 did not. So maybe those feeds used cookies. I didn't have to do this cookie dance with the Azureus RSS feed, why does uTorrent require it? At the very least I'd suggest a better error message.

Using feeds that require cookies

To use feeds that require cookies, you must find the cookie for the site, and grab UID and pass from it.

* IE users will find their cookies in %UserProfile%\Cookies

* Firefox users will find their cookies in Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cookies -> View Cookies

* Opera users will find their cookies in Tools -> Advanced -> Cookies, but they must scroll down manually, find doesn't work

* Users of other browsers will have to consult their browser's documentation

Once you have the appropriate information, use this format for the feed URL:

http://sometorrentsite.com/rss.php:

COOKIE:uid=1234;pass=asdjh12378912y3lkj

(that is all on one line, but the bbs software will foul it up if I post it that way)

Some sites do not use uid and pass as the variables, or use additional ones, so you MUST use the exact variable name and the extra variables they specify! For example, on a certain site, it uses id, password, and secure as the cookie variables you must use.

Even after following the above instructions, I still can't get it to work. The only workaround I can find is to run Azureus with its RSSFeed Scanner, and use that to save off torrents, then load them by hand into uTorrent. Interestingly, Azureus is now burping out messages about "Malformed RSS XML: The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity reference. I suspect this is a side-effect of the problem I'm having with uTorrent RSS. Anyway, I do wish uTorrent would make this transparent like Azureus does.

Azureus is now burping out messages about "Malformed RSS XML: The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity reference. I suspect this is a side-effect of the problem I'm having with uTorrent RSS.

I suspect this is a problem with malformed XML in the RSS feed you're using, which is why Az is throwing an error and uTorrent doesn't work at all. :rolleyes:

Well, my Azureus RSS feeds have been working fine for months; I haven't changed anything (except, started using uTorrent), and 2 separate feeds are throwing that message. The p*bay feeds do work on uTorrent, but BushT*, T*Reactor, etc. are unhappy. I'm pretty sure I jammed in the COOKIE info correctly. It lists all the feeds, just can't get the .torrent to download without the "Unable to load "blah": Invalid torrent file!" Again I wonder how Azureus is able to navigate this; does it go and dig up the cookies automagically?

These are the 4 out of 5 RSS feeds that fail:

Torrent Portal Movies|http://www.torrentportal.com/rssfeed.2.xml:COOKIE:PayPopUpAds=yes
TorrentReactor|http://torrentreactor.net/rss.php:COOKIE:adv=1
TorrentSpy|http://www.torrentspy.com/rss.asp:COOKIE:__utma=95050649.1859763015.1150605092.1151817675.1152334016.4;__utmz=95050649.1150605092.1.1.utmccn=(direct)|utmcsr=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)
Bushtorrent|http://www.bushtorrent.com/rss.php:COOKIE:username=zTim;passwd=954348c368d762b956772d494d009d15

We have an explanation for TorrentReactor (though the Azureus RSS Feed plugin handles it seamlessly - maybe time to examine the source code for that) but what about the other 3?

Azureus RSS plugin handles it seamlessly because they integrated what RSSatellite does into the plugin for specific sites.

And you only need cookie info for sites that require uh, logins.

All your sites do the same thing, they don't link to the .torrent, they link to info pages.

Good point, those sites don't require logins. Unfortunately, even when I take out the COOKIE info, they still fail with the same obscure error message.

My suggestion is: uTorrent also integrate what RSSatellite does. I mean, 4 out of 5 of the most popular torrent sites link to info pages, why not make it so they actually work instead of putting out a less-than-helpful error message?

RSSatellite appears largely undocumented. I appreciate your help, but, perhaps I am not alone in not having the time to hack away at this any longer. I am going to go back to Azureus for the time being. I wonder if there are any statistics on how many people successfully use uTorrent's RSS feature. Because of this obscure bug (feature?), I would guess it is in the single digits. Its a shame because, otherwise I was quite impressed with it. I realize the developers have their own priorities, but my suggestions are: fix RSS, and add the ability to create torrents.

Works on a lot of sites (and for a lot of users), and it's not a bug, just broken feeds.

RSSatelite isn't really undocumented... Just go to the sourceforce page and get the PHP page.

And uh, you CAN create torrents already. You've been able to for a very very long time.

Archived