Can i delete a seeding torrent?

Darkboot

Topic might not be 100% correct but close enough to what i wanna ask :)

Lets say that i have seeded about 5 - 10GB or maybe 1GB depending on the size of the file. Can i delete it? Have i helped others so they can downlaod it faster? where have my upload gone? (the seeding amount) If i delete a seeding torrent does it just poof away and i have helped nobody? I hope whoever reads this understands what i mean! :)

Also! I googled and read alot of seeding until the ratio is at least 1. Does the ratio mean that i have uploaded the whole file? and ratio: 0.5 just half the file?

Seeding goal should be at 1. This means your upload amount is the same as your download amount.

Having set a ratio lower than 1 means you could be called a leecher ... but has not that big effect in a working swarm.

So if there are (except you) a lot more seeders you could stop (or even delete) your torrent.

You can stop a torrent at any time you please, whether it is downloading or uploading. After you have stopped the torrent you can remove it from the list in uTorrent and then delete the associated files, the torrent file itself and the download file(s) themselves, as you please.

As far as seeding goes, well, you can upload as much as, or as little as, you please. If you have uploaded some then the parts that you uploaded did land (as a download) on the machines of other people in the swarm - so no, stopping an upload early does not mean that you have not uploaded at all. You are correct in thinking if you upload to a ratio of '1' then you have uploaded an amount that is equal to the amount that you downloaded. You are also correct in thinking that to upload to a ratio of '0.5' means that you will have uploaded an amount equal to half the amount of what you downloaded.

However, you should be aware that a peer-to-peer network does rely on people uploading at least the same amount as they download for a torrent - this keeps the swarm for that torrent in a healthy state and people can download at reasonable rates. Some people don't do that and are basically acting in a very selfish and short-sighted manner. So best rule of thumb, if you actually believe in helping others in the same way that others helped you download, is to share back to an upload ratio of at least 1.0. What goes around comes around - others helped you so it is only fair that you help others back in return. I very often help the Linux world by uploading Linux distributions far beyond a ratio of 1.0 - if you can help at no cost to yourself then why not just do that?

Archived