A proposed new main-screen GUI for uT 1.6.x . What do YOU think ?

rafi

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The memory use doesn't really go up with filesize. In fact, these new things don't really even add 1KB of memory use. The only stuff that really made the memory use go up was Unicode and the improved disk cache. :P

I really doubt it will take only 1KB of memory.

If you have a solid, proven, and definite way of testing memory usage, by all means, try it. When I tested the new interface, it used approximately the same amount of memory anyway. And once again, it's optional, so if you're not using it, it will NOT affect the memory usage.

Adds ~1KB to the size.

Firon, you can post it all you want, it does not change the principle.

Its very much possible to enhance readability, using the standard column modes, instate of going all Mac/Vista.

This is one of the things i notice all the time. "Hey look people, we are going to add xxx feature, what do you think". Whats the point of asking people what they think, sinds its ALREADY coded, and i know from experience, that one's its coded, its going to stay in. Even if people complain all they want. You can prove me wrong, but i douth its going to happen.

And Ultima, like hell that accessing the file systems icon's is not effecting things. I wrote several Norton commander clones over the years, and those daim system icon lookups take way more resources then most people realise. But, i'm talking accessing files, and looking up there file type. Still, unless every system imagelist has the icon's in the exact same position ( what it does NOT! ), you are still forced to look up the icon location at the function call, or the create event of the program. Sure, its not much resource hungry, but its not as free also. But now i'm just nitpicking, sinds its not a real counterargument.

Going multi interface is the first step, next is changing the colors because the rest of the program does not match the interface.

Then comes theming support.

Then some more graphical wizard sinds it does not fit with the theme/interface window.

Maybe some more high res. icon's.

Hmmm, those options in the menu are confusing the dumb people, lets hide them.

Don't you dare to tell me that this is not goin to happen. Seen it way to many times already. "No no, we are not going to add any more", and half a year later they changed there mind, and bingo, off they go... *sigh*

I rather see development time spend in fixing problems, like the Initial Seeding that's still broken as hell ( takes more resources then just running a normal seed. IS needs todo +-125%, and ends up with 200%+ ... And that's been borked for a long time. ).

If you have a solid, proven, and definite way of testing memory usage, by all means, try it. When I tested the new interface, it used approximately the same amount of memory anyway. And once again, it's optional, so if you're not using it, it will NOT affect the memory usage.

/me remembers the country resolution issue I read out there. :P

Soli, proven? How if I don't have the client and anyway I don't download much torrents at the same time.

You have to check with a user downloading/seeding 1000 files of different kinds.

@Arqentus: No, customizable colors was turned down before, can't say the same about the request for a Transmission-like interface. Theming will NEVER be considered -- say/think what you like, we don't care, it's not being added. If ludde cared so little about interface efficiency, then maybe he shouldn't have worked his arse off writing in pure Win32 API. Maybe he should've just used one of those readily available libraries.

Is the interface is so radically different that everything else needs to be changed to conform to it, like adding wizards? (By the way, I don't see how making some stuff into a wizard would make it any more cohesive with the proposed interface) Can you give me examples of what kind of wizards we can possibly add? Or are you just implying that ludde will add everything imaginable? If you can't give examples of what we can add as wizards, you're obviously just being cynical about the whole thing, and not providing real reasons not to add it. (Unlike what you seem to think we think, there is no need for any new wizards)

And some more high resolution icons? Do you already believe µTorrent is "bloated" with high resolution icons? Can you point out where the high resolution icons are currently?

Meaning there isn't going to be much (if any) extra memory usage for loading more icons for 900 torrents over 20.

Notice how I never said loading system icons would not increase resource usage, how there's a big difference between what you *think* I'm saying, and what I'm *actually* saying. At this point, I really don't know what ludde was planning on putting in the icon area, I was just going along with what was already there (a Windows Media Player filetype icon taken directly from Windows). Hey, he might add some *oh so scary* higher resolution status icons (32x32 maximum, though I'd expect smaller if he's going to make the height of each listitem smaller).

And yeah, initial seeding was fixed already. Does it still looks like ludde spends so much time working on the interface that he ignores bug fixes? It's been a long time coming, but he hasn't had the time to test super seeding until recently. The interface? It didn't even take him all that long to make it (probably less than a day, if my time perception and estimations are correct), so it's not even sucking up all his time and energy. A few minor tweaks here and there, and it'd be complete too, so if it were to come to full fruition, it still wouldn't take that much more time than it already has.

lol not my fault if I'm being misunderstood :P

sure it's your fault

I think I'm going to chill with this whole topic, and just let nature take its course...

good thinking... that's what I was hinting to... :P

Minirx, the original client doesent look like that anymore. It did along time ago, but it is accually much more improved. Atleast I think... I have the newest version installed and it looks different (yes, I have alot of clients installed, I only use utorrent though).

Minirx, the original client doesent look like that anymore. It did along time ago, but it is accually much more improved.

This is the point. Hope you guys caught my meaning.

Why did Mainline doesn't look like that anymore? Think again.

And I have to say that such download manager style of Firefox is one of the annoying design that I am finding a way to disable :/

Great idea and great look!

My suggestions:

- Make a torrent-list fully configurable:

-> Allow to resize the height

-> Allow to change/delete infos

-> Allow to change positions of elements inside (for example, progress-bar may be set even below name; control buttons like Pause/Delete may be set to the left from status-icons, etc)

- Configurable gradient download status (allow to change colors or maybe even images)

- Optional custom icons with buttons instead of text like Start or Delete etc

- Optional custom status-icons instead of file-type icons

Of course there can be more features, and it all will be great - everyone will be able to have their own GUI for µTorrent! :D

personally i don't believe uTorrent needs to 'dumb it down'. Considering Mainline is now adopting an interface that more closely resembles uT, why should uT do the opposite? it's extra GUI code that will bloat the exe (yes i know the exe will probably never break 500k, that's not the point), so unless this code can exist without blimping up memory or exe size, and assuming this "Easy" version will be off by default, then i'm going to have to vote against it.

Archived