A proposed new main-screen GUI for uT 1.6.x . What do YOU think ?

rafi

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure some people would like that sort of GUI but I wouldn't. To display 6 items it takes up too much screen real estate. how would I watch por ... err I mean educational shows at the same time? If it was an option I'd probably use it once in a while but for now I prefer the way it currently shows.

Besides that, I've tried every BT client that exists almost in the last couple of years and uTorrent is my preferred app for uncluttered useful and small footprint.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you require the -1 people to explain why they give a -1, you should do the same for the +1 people. There's no qualitative difference between saying "it rocks!" and "it sucks!". None.

Myself, I give it a -1 because it makes the interface unnecessarily huge, and follows the, quite honestly, retarded trend of making programs have way too much unused space (which hinders functionality and claims too much screen space... just look at that horrible Vista thing) and windows to grow vertically instead of horisontally; something that's really nonsensical considering widescreen monitors gaining popularity, or as in my case, multiple monitors (horisontally positioned).

I would, BTW, want to be able to change the font size in the entire program (I'm a Tahoma size 7 guy). Feature request?

Its beautiful in that it lays the groundwork for the actual bevel effects and everything to be done correctly. Its bad in that its too simple, doesn't differentiate really between bar and text, like xtorrent and this other torrent program, which uses different colors, bevel the loadin bar, make it look "sexy" nice font, has different size fonts etc

Of course, all this bullshit about "bloat" can be factored out because it can be tweaked...i strain my friggin eyes on the current interface...this bitch needs some overhaul

interface design is an art, differetiating bewteen looks and what needs to be on screen

[MERGE]

buttons on top could be tweaked too

I don't want my torrent client to feel like another windowz program, i want it to feel as though its so well integrated and feels as though it belongs

the second proposed interface is redundant = ugly

don't like columns I dont

[MERGE]

i think something like this is fOR SURE compromise

Transmission_0.6.png

@googlymoogly: Sure, it's great to give reasons why you give a +1, and I'm not holding any double standard, the difference is that we were looking for reasons NOT to implement it, as ludde had already half-implemented it. Saying "oh it should be implemented because of BLAH and BLAH" is rather pointless when it already is there. That's not to say that people shouldn't give reasons, but to support with reasons is redundant. I myself gave my reasons for why I supported it, and do suggest that others who support it give theirs as well (many already have), but the bigger focus is on why it shouldn't be implemented, and so far, there's yet to have been anything too compelling.

As for vertical spacing... Many of us have already said that it would be better off shaving some of the height for each torrent job in the list, so yeah, we know about it. Widescreen should NOT be the reason for that, though. Just because widescreen is becoming more common doesn't mean everyone uses it. If you want to use that argument, then double-spacing for paragraphs shouldn't be allowed on websites either, as it wastes vertical spacing as well. Of course, that's not what I really believe, but if you're saying that everything should go horizontal, then that logically follows, however extreme it may be. By the way, a lot of people dislike horizontal scrolling on web pages, and for those of us who don't have widescreen, if people made everything wide-screen oriented, then what happens to us?

Font selection has been requested before, so no need to request it again.

And just FYI, AFAIK, there hasn't been any word from ludde about whether he's still going through with this, but I'm still arguing as if he were, as he had it mostly done before (albeit without polish), and he said he was serious about the interface.

Eh, quite a bit of logical fallacy in your interpolation of my horizontal/vertical arguments there and you're taking it to its very extreme -- how webpages look like has NOTHING to do with this. That's a straw man you drew up. I could spend hours on talking about shitty web design too, but it's not relevant at all. But oh well. I've said what I wanted to say.

The black lines on the second image look ugly, make them a nice gray like the top image, and move the text in the percentage bar down into the center of the bar. Also alter the background color of every second download to a light blue (50% lighter than the selected item background color).

Then I'd say yes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived