The scourge called NIS 2004

Oblivious

I have been trying to get my Utorrent to work for awhile now with limited success. I've set my Norton firewall to permit all internet activity via Utorrent, however, whenever I attempt a download, I am only bombarded by pop-ups. I've heard that turning off or modifying the worm protection feature on Norton solves the problem but I have yet to find this elusive feature. I have searched all the Norton options only to turn up empty handed (except for an worm blocking email option that seems to do me little good). Are there any users that have experience with NIS 2004 that could clear up this mess for me?

To avoid nuisance NIS Intrusion Prevention warnings, deselect "Invalid TCP Destination Port", "Invalid TCP Source Port", and "MS Windows H.323 BO (2)" signatures on the Intrusion Prevention Signature Exclusions page of Intrusion Protection Advanced Configuration. More information concerning NIS configuration for µTorrent can be found in the Software Firewalls thread.

What are all the pop-ups about, e.g. what do they say?

As for NIS2004. Well, if removing it is not an option (you might need to find the KB article in their support database for that anyway, in most cases, just installing can't be done), you should upgrade. NIS2004 will not protect you against all malware and will cause problems you may not be aware of.

Program control: High Risk; A remote system is trying to access your computer

Underneath it there is a box that gives me the time, date, protocol (ICMP inbound in this case), and remote address (an ip address followed by "Destination Unreachable (3)" )

By default NIS 2006 allows Inbound ICMP commands 0 (Echo Reply), 3 (Destination Unreachable), and 11 (Time Exceeded) but blocks all others. No Security Alert pop-up will be issued. All Outbound ICMP commands are allowed. These are General Rules in Advanced Firewall configuration. Apparently NIS 2004 handled ICMP commands differently. As Ultima already mentioned if a µTorrent user desires to run NIS then the 2006 version is what the user should be running.

I know it's popular and trendy to hate Norton, and I agree myself it's bloated... but I've never had a problem with the 2005 version of Internet Security. From time to time (rarely) I get the Invalid TCP Destination Port or whatever, but all I did was check the box so it wouldn't alert me about that again in the future, and it's been fine ever since.

And my torrents still work perfectly, as does everything else that passes through the Norton firewall.

Norton may not be popular among a certain segment of users, but for the vast majority of people the reality is that it works perfectly fine.

Now with that being said, I'd say good bye to Norton for good for something more lightweight if any of the other firewalls had an equally good "set it and forget it" Ad Blocking system.

As for false warnings and things of that nature, I'm sure there are similar issues in other programs as well. Nothing is perfect! But whenever someone has a problem and Norton is involved, it's just another chance for all the Norton haters to mouth off about how much it sucks, which doesn't help the person involved despite what the person mouthing off may think.

At least there ARE still people who will actually do their best to help the users without spreading their OPINION about what is good and what is garbage.

Norton has been paid off by various companies (Sony rootkit anyone?) to allow THEIR adware and spyware through Norton's "blocks" without getting detected. That's enough reason right there to not consider their software the least bit trustworthy.

Archived