Torrents start but never download...sometimes

praetan

I have had this issue for a very long time (2 years maybe?) and through multiple updates. 

When a torrent starts automatically via rss downloader about 1 or 2 out of 5 will start but just sit there until I stop it and start it again at which point it downloads immediately without issue. The other 3 out of the 5 work perectly. I'm currently on version 3.4.5 (build 41202). 

I have had them sit for days if I didn't check.

I've also had days without issue and days were 4 out of 5 sit idle until stopped and started again.

This has happened on 2 completely unrelated private trackers so it's highly unlikely to be a tracker side issue.

I'm not 100% sure what information is helpful for troubleshooting this so I apologize if I leave out anything obvious.

I have Time Warner Cable with a 100Mbps connection. Bandwidth is not an issue.

DHT is currently disabled but I have experienced this issue with it enabled as well.

Preferences->Bandwidth->Number of connections

I don't recall how I settled on those numbers but I had previously tried many different combinations without any luck. In fact I've tried a lot of things that I just don't remember because I basically gave up and just dealt with it for a long time. I'm just hoping there's someone out there that has had the same experience and found a solution. Thanks for reading.

Sorry. It seems I'm only allowed 1 post per day at the moment. 

How many show in your peers/seeds ? 0 ? Do you see any peers/seeds connected in the peers' tab for that torrent?

I'm not sure. I'll have to double check that next time it happens. Only 2 downloads today and both worked properly. I'll report back after the next incident. 

Sorry. It seems I'm only allowed 1 post per day at the moment. 

I'm not sure. I'll have to double check that next time it happens. Only 2 downloads today and both worked properly. I'll report back after the next incident. 

You can always post the screen shot to another site for images and give a link here.

So yes, I can confirm that I'm connected to peers but in the attached screen snip you can see 2 of 3 downloads have started without issue while the 3rd is basically doing nothing even though it shows seeds and peers connected. The second I stopped and started it again the download continues as expected.

I have a couple more screen shots showing the actual peers tab but its my full utorrent window and unless someone needs to see more I'm being lazy because I don't want to have to redact things. If you want more info from said screen shot just let me know.

Btw those downloads are just ramping up. I'm not out of bandwidth either. 

post-341210-0-00914400-1445826515_thumb.

So yes, I can confirm that I'm connected to peers but in the attached screen snip you can see 2 of 3 downloads have started without issue while the 3rd is basically doing nothing even though it shows seeds and peers connected. The second I stopped and started it again the download continues as expected.

I have a couple more screen shots showing the actual peers tab but its my full utorrent window and unless someone needs to see more I'm being lazy because I don't want to have to redact things. If you want more info from said screen shot just let me know.

Btw those downloads are just ramping up. I'm not out of bandwidth either. 

This is called line condition and they most likely have heavy traffic on their site so your speeds will slow down as well.

I messed up this screen snip like a big dummy.

Basically what it shows is me connected to 45 of over 500 seeds and over 4000 peers for about an hour while downloading exactly 2MB in that hour. Curious. At the point of this screenshot nothing else was downloading. 

So there's plenty of seeds and I'm even connecting to a fair amount. Nothing is hogging bandwidth elsewhere. Simply stopping and restarting works every time but as is the case here I sometimes don't catch things right away, nor should I have to. That's kind of the point of the rss feature. So that's all I got. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance Internet.

post-341210-0-76871300-1445913832_thumb.

Post a screenshot of the info tab for that torrent in question.

Since I'm not sure what you're going for here I'm posting 2 screen shots. "firstexample" is the original torrent but I've already stopped and restarted it so it has downloaded. "secondexample" is the info tab of yet another torrent that was sitting idle an hour after being added. This one was sitting idle when the screen shot was taken. Just in case you're looking for something in particular.

post-341210-0-35042300-1445921573_thumb.

post-341210-0-07335900-1445921583_thumb.

No hash-fails and good availability. So, if the trackers are connected, unless it is a "private" torrent (see properties)  - no idea.

Thanks for taking a shot. If nothing else perhaps you ruled something out for someone else's idea. 

As usual, stopping and starting the torrent worked immediately and the download was complete in just a few minutes.

A bug is always an option... so, you can always try and old version to test. What version / build# is it now?

3.4.5 (build 41202)

I want to say I didn't have this issue before 3.4 but I can't really confirm that. I tend to stay updated on current releases though.

Archived