diskio.no_zero not working

m.v.

Hi,

(My old thread regarding this problem is locked, so I post it last time). Seems diskio.no_zero true still not working in latest version (the problem arouse around late builds of 3.4.2 I think, when UI got updated) and files always being zero filled. Checked it with hex editor, utorrent running as admin and have "SeManageVolumePrivilege" enabled. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have confirmed it here too (latest beta). I have tried to workaround it by unchecking Pref.->general->Pre-allocate all files. This seems to be working for me here.

The issue seem to be that with larger files this bug is causing massive writes to the disk, which then causes the disk-overload (actually stops the downloading) since the data cannot be written from cache to disk until this zero operation is complete.  When we tell it to not pre allocate, it seems to also not wite-zero anything, so problem "solved"... :)

Can you try and confirm?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

seems diskio.no_zero works fine - it's just diskio.sparse_files that should be disabled first (it's on by default in last versions).
checked it again without sparse files - files not being zero filled anymore.

You are right, in those latest versions it seems "fixed"/Ok if the setting of sparse is false... :) But... the default is now true, and I think regular users will not be able to find/fix this settings :(

Also, this nozero setting should be decoupled from any other setting.

Archived