How do I best convince people to upgrade from version 2.2.1?

joshace

There are a lot of people who insist on sticking with version 2.2.1 which is over 4.5 years old. 

I know WHY they did that, because there were several versions of utorrent after 2.2.1 that had problems, but those problems seem to be gone (except with the blank line in the torrent issue which exists in version 2.2.1 also).

It seems to me like when I am trying to leech download a file, and the peer is running the old 2.2.1,  the transfer speeds are extremely slow.  I want to convince people that they need to upgrade to the current version which seems to be quite fast.  In fact, for some reason, Utorrent transfers go considerably faster than the clone of Utorrent which is bittorrent. 

The ONLY reason they can come up with for not upgrading is the popup ads that play videos with sound.  I don't mind ads myself, I don't even mind videos, but they DO have a point about the sound.  Utorrent is unique in that it is not something you run, for a few minutes and then turn off.  You keep it running 24/7 to leech and more importantly SEED files.  Is there a way to mute the sound on those videos without having to mute the sound on my entire computer?  I need the sound ON so I can get message notifications from things such as Facebook, and also audio alerts to indicate when a transfer has completed. 

I thought that minimizing Utorrent would prevent the sound on the ads from playing, but that is not the case.  I don't even know why companies bother with random ads that do nothing but annoy 99.9% of people.  If anything, I would intentionally not buy anything from those advertisers because of their annoying ads.  They can find a way to advertise without hijacking the audio of my computer.  Consider if someone was running utorrent at work and the audio starts playing and the boss walks by.  Hello unemployment office! 

• 1 month later...

Why, because of your anecdotal evidence that 2.2.1 uploaders are ruining your speed? I have 2.2.1 and after revisiting this issue (due to the search box being disabled on "legacy" software, that's not much of a legacy) decided it's great. Because when I removed the URL list on the box to test what the box would then do, it just disappears. Undocumented feature I guess; I wanted to remove it anyway if Bittorrent was disabling it.

The ads are completely unacceptable to me, and the sound would go far beyond that into a region of unusability. Combine that with the various features crammed into the new versions, going far beyond mere refinement and bug fixing, and the sponsored software, and so forth, and why waste time on new versions that are as likely to be downgrades as not?

It's very sad to me that new software versions these days are more about useless features, making GUIs "interactive," burying commands in superfluous menus and massively bloated platform independent executables than good, ergonomic, simple design.

I don't mean to put 2.2.1 on a pedestal, it's not perfect by any means. It just does a better job of what it is supposed to do than the newer versions I have tried. And it's 392Kb. And that matters to me.

I don't mean to put 2.2.1 on a pedestal, it's not perfect by any means. It just does a better job of what it is supposed to do than the newer versions I have tried. And it's 392Kb. And that matters to me.

It's that it doesn't contain bloatware and adware sponsor in the older version 2.x - were clean and did the job too well.

• 2 weeks later...

"How do I best convince people to upgrade from version 2.2.1?"

I'm just curious... but do you happen to work at BitTorrent Inc.'s marketing department?

Kinda scraping the barrel coming here asking for new campaign ideas, no? :3

But in all seriousness, I love uTorrent 2.2.1 (build 25302). Elegant, efficient and never any doubts about ad-ware, coin miners, bloat etc.

I'd actually take out a yearly subscription for a uTorrent 2.x fork.

Been using it daily for ~10 years now and would love to show support. Unfortunately 2.x got dropped hard and I strongly dislike the direction in which uTorrent continues to head. So I don't subscribe. Or even bother to use the newer versions. And I inform my friends to do the same too.

So you inform your friends to have security holes on their system?

That will be a hard sell considering all the problems ut 3.x been doing to GPU and the adware coming through. If it wasn't for those problems then utorrent wouldn't had made it to the live news feed. Good program stay well hidden and continue to grow. I think most people would take those security holes over "Killing" GPU and adware though. uTorrent 3.x hasn't been very good at convincing people to switch.

But in all seriousness, I love uTorrent 2.2.1 (build 25302). Elegant, efficient and never any doubts about ad-ware, coin miners, bloat etc.

I'd actually take out a yearly subscription for a uTorrent 2.x fork.

Been using it daily for ~10 years now and would love to show support. Unfortunately 2.x got dropped hard and I strongly dislike the direction in which uTorrent continues to head. So I don't subscribe. Or even bother to use the newer versions. And I inform my friends to do the same too.

That is the reason people went looking for the older utorrent version. GPU aren't cheap especially if you have the Higher GPU and those die from GPU utorrent usage that wasn't permitted-we all know this story all too well. I myself still use the older version just like your quote "Elegant, efficient, no adware, coin miners, bloat - that's why the older version will continue to be used. Let's see I've used utorrent since it came out in 1.x and have it to ut 2.0.4 and stopped there.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm finding it impossible to find a download of older versions of UT that will install [Win 10]. The installation is prevented by windows due to the older versions being infected with malware or adware etc. Looking at the installation exe files of many older versions of UT, which were downloaded from various "old apps" sites, and, which all seem to be hosting the exact same copiy of these "infected" old versions, i see that there are UPX [archive format often used by virus producers] files injected into the code of the original clean versions of UT installation binaries.

There's little doubt the injected UPX files contain the malicious or unwanted code that is being picked up by Windows 10 User Account Control, which then blocks the installation. There is also bundled software in all of these older versions, seen in the ".bundle" file within the code [I use 7zip to find this, by right clicking on the old versions of utorrent.exe and choose "open archive" in "7zip", which reveals all the code files and folders that make up the installation executable. See screenshot].

My question is, does anyone know if the old versions of utorrent binaries are hosted on utorrent.com? Or can someone point to any reputable site that hosts the archives of the original old versions of utorrent binaries?

It comes to mind that this might just be an intentional tactic used by the commercial business dept of utorrent project, to try and force folks to purchase the pro latest version of UT!!! If this is true, then this is very sad indeed. But I am hoping that I am wrong with this pre-assumption.

utorrent3.3-29342-20.jpg

utorrent3.3-29342DT.jpg

Archived