Unable to download torrents with spaces in the torrent names

jlanpheer

I've recently got fed up with uTorrent crashing and am trying the most recent version as a last-ditch effort to use this client.  I have successfully downloaded and installed the most recent version and so far, so good.  Except for one issue - if i download a torrent from a site with a space in the file name of the torrent, the torrent doesn't download and breaks into a bunch of errors.

For example, if the torrent name is "Miles Davis 12.12.1971_flac.torrent".....

When i download the torrent file, i get a series of errors in succession like:

Unable to load 12.12.1971_flac.torrent": Unknown error!

Unable to load "Davis": Unknown error!

Unable to load "Miles": Unknown error!

The client seems to break the torrent file name into a series of torrents, if there are spaces between the words.  I've verified that i CAN download a torrent if there are no spaces in the torrent name, such as:

"Miles_Davis_12.12.1971_flac.torrent".

Anybody run across this one?  If so, i'd love a little help or a suggestion.

cheers!

I think it's not something in uTorrent, but in th way you have Windows associated with it (probably from the old version), missing some "" around the parameter/file name ... Check the syntax in your files-types association list for .torrent

BTW, which versions (old/new) ?

Thanx for the reply, sorry for the delay in responding.  A SUPER frustrating thing about this forum is that you can only post once a day until you've made TEN posts?  How can you really expect a newbie (which i am not) to get help on a forum if they can only respond to help offered ONCE per day?  Absurd in my book.....

That aside, i think i need some further information regarding file associations and what you think might be missing.  I went to Start->Control Panel->Programs->Default Programs->Associate a File type or protocol with program and the file type .torrent IS associated with the uTorrent program.  I don't see that a specific version of uTorrent is associated and i don't see anything related syntax around parameters there.  So, i am not sure what you mean and how that might be somehow different between the two versions of uTorrent. 

I WAS running version 3.4.2.39586 which suddenly became completely unstable (which i won't blame on uTorrent, it could easily be a Windows update that is causing it) and i went to the most recent build.  I would appreciate any help, but know that i can't really respond to any feedback in a timely way because of the ridiculous rules of this forum.

cheers!

<<The forum has been plagued with SPAM posts from 'new' users on many occasions in the past, so it's could be something to do with that.>>

That is undoubtedly true.  Obviously, there are far less draconian ways of stopping spam from occurring.  This policy completely disables real people with legitimate problems from getting timely help and answers to what might be pressing issues.

As far as this current thread goes, i completely uninstalled uTorrent and reinstalled it on my computer.  That seems to have resolved the issue that i reported under this thread.  So, this issue is CLOSED, but future folks seeing this problem should know that completely uninstalling and reinstalling seems to have resolved this particular issue.

Unfortunately, being able to run the latest version has resulted in another problem, which i will post under a new thread.....TOMORROW apparently (since i can only post once per day). Ugh..... :angry:

What this did is only re-associated utorrent into Windows. There are other ways to fix that in Windows.

I agree for your point of view regarding new users.... also for some reason, email notifications have stopped working, at least for me...

Archived