uTorrent simply stops responding - most recent build.

jlanpheer

Hmmmmm,  i seem to be able to post more than once today, so i will take it!

I've had problems recently with earlier, mostly working versions of uT.  A couple of them suddenly would only stay running for a few minutes before crashing HARD.  So, i thought that i'd try the most recent version and see if i can get anywhere with that.  I've installed uT build 41372 (32-bit) on my computer and it seems to run great - for a few hours.  After that, the GUI freezes, when i attempt to click on anything on the menu, the spinning Windows wheel starts a-spinnin' indicating that Windows is waiting for the application to release control takes over and the words 'Not responding' appear on the top title bar with the software version number.

The client DOES appear to be continuing to upload and share whatever i am currently sharing, but to download anything new, i need to kill uTorrent forcefully and start again.  Can anyone give me any recommendations on how to proceed?  I'm running a pretty vanilla system with plenty of horsepower - Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 updated to the current updates), Intel i5-4670k 3.4GHz processor, 16 GB of RAM, etc....  I don't see any reason for this behavior and every other program that i'm running on this machine has no problems and runs screamingly fast.

Anything that i can do?  Any recommendations?

thanx!

<<

Further investigation shows that it's a runaway memory allocation in utorrentie.exe. Sometimes it takes a few hours, sometimes only a few minutes, but once it gets near 2GB it crashes.

>>

Can you explain in greater detail where and how you are tracking this?  Task Manager?  I need some concrete suggestions on what to do here.  Is there anything that i can do in the registry to stop a process from running away memory-wise like you are suggesting?

It may/may not be worthwhile to see if the latest beta helps...

Perhaps, but i am MUCH more likely to check out another client than i am becoming a beta tester for uTorrent.  Lately, this piece of software has become WAY too much of a time-suck on my life.  I just use it to share ROIO's of concerts featuring musicians i like, i don't have the time to make bit torrenting the center of my life.

It seems to be a cruel disconnect, but on the uTorrent blog, they are touting the fact that the software is more stable than ever, and is winning all these polls and whatnot.  My experience this past year has been exactly the opposite, and especially so these last couple of months.  While i could never leave uT running on my machine for weeks at a time without it eventually consuming enough memory to kill my machine, it USED to be pretty stable on a day-to-day basis.  Now, i have to kill and restart it multiple times per day, and that just won't fly.  I'd pay $5 too to eliminate advertising..... IF the software worked in the first place.  Right now it doesn't and i'm pretty close to looking at switching clients.  I'm also more likely to go back to the old standby 2.2.1 version than i am to become a beta software tester.

In the meantime, if ANYONE has practical suggestions for (a) how to isolate the problem and/or (B) changes that i can make on my machine that might eliminate the behavior that i am seeing, then i am all ears!

cheers

Further investigation shows that it's a runaway memory allocation in utorrentie.exe. Sometimes it takes a few hours, sometimes only a few minutes, but once it gets near 2GB it crashes.

I've just been watching what is going on in Task Manager in the Processes tab.  I've got NOT one, but TWO processes called "utorrentie.exe *32" processes running on my machine, each grabbing huge chunks of memory.  Any reason there would be TWO of these running?  The two are displaying very "spikey" tendencies.  Even though i'm not actually doing anything in the uTorrent client itself both processes regularly rise up over 700K and then suddenly, drop down to 300-400K, start rising up again, etc.  I have no doubt that over some time (it's only been about an hour since i restarted uT) that might breach some sort of OS limit of some type.  Any reason for TWO of these processes to be running?

I've only got 50 torrents total (since i've uninstalled uT and reinstalled a brand new version from scratch) and 46 of those are currently seeding, so that is nowhere near a large amount of data is being handled here.

Anything that can be done?  (other than uninstalling and running.....?)

cheers!

<<

>>

Can you explain in greater detail where and how you are tracking this?  Task Manager?  I need some concrete suggestions on what to do here.  Is there anything that i can do in the registry to stop a process from running away memory-wise like you are suggesting?

This morning, i awoke and checked how uTorrent was doing.  It had in fact crashed overnight, as usual.  I went into Task Manager and noticed that there were (again) two utorrentie.exe processes "running".  However, it was obvious that they were not doing anything, i.e. the amount of memory the tasks were using was static.  One of the processes was frozen at 200+K and the other, at over 1200+K.  The regular utorrent.exe process WAS running, the amount of memory it was using was still dynamically changing.

In short, i think this process is the culprit here, but i've still seen nary a sign of a workaround on this thread.  But, thanx for pointing me to it.  Anybody found a workaround?

So if you have a problem and a developer says "hey, we think we might have fixed it. Could you test this version?", you're gonna say "no... I'm not testing it".

OK. Whatever.

I'll bite. 

Sure, if your ideal scenario were to manifest itself and the uTorrent folks contacted me and said:  "Hey, we believe that we fixed the issue that you reported in the uT forum and we'd love it if you'd test this most recent beta build of our software and let us know if it fixes your issues.  In return, we're happy to comp you the ad-free version of our product", then sure, i'd be happy to do that.  Have i had any conversations with any developers in that regard?  No (nor has any developer responded on this thread in any meaningful way).  Do i expect to have such a conversation?  No, i don't.  Do i expect that there's some magic beta version out there right now that fixes this issue?  I don't know for sure, but i doubt it, these issues have been going on for AWHILE now.  Testing beta software is a slippery slope!

As background, i am a systems developer for a large financial asset management company and i spend 60+ hours a week developing Java code and other kinds of software, working thru QA and troubleshooting our (and my) software in a very large and complex environment.  When i escape that environment, one of the LAST things on my "to do list" is to come home and troubleshoot someone else's software.  Especially when what i'd likely be troubleshooting would involve the software more efficiently putting up annoying ads that spontaneously start playing in the middle of the night.  I simply want to sit on the couch for a few minutes and enjoy my recently-downloaded ROIO of Frank Zappa from 1972 and CHILL the fk OUT for a bit!    :P 

That's just my 2 cents.  Maybe you have more time available or a different set of priorities than i do.  A little less judgement would be nice.....

Archived