Ip/hostname To Report To Tracker

justaboy

Hello!

I would like to know when you send custom IP to the tracker, will it show as such to other people connected to you? Doesn't matter when using .torrent or .magnet? Also does DHT, UDP support, uTP or anything else influences it?

The reason i'm asking is because some copyright agency sent a threatening warning to my addres (they got the name through my ISP of course) that i allegedly was seeding some movie back in over a year ago!!! Which i have no recalling of whatsoever. I've heard they use some app that scans public trackers and snatch up IP-s that are seeding their clients' works. So will fake hostname reporting to the tracker obfuscate this?

Thank you war giving me an insight into this.

No it won't.

It's intended for tracker operators who end up with their internal ip being reported to the tracker instead of their external.

Okay, so it's basically a setting that doesn't have a much purpose for average torrent person.

Other than dedicated VPN, what other settings potentially makes you more anonymous? Like disabling DHT, UPX and such? Are there any relevant apps there out that so-called blacklist monitoring IPs in trackers?

Edit: i should mention i mean anonymity in regards to other peers in the swarm. I don't intend to hide my activity from my ISP, but other connected peers (like the aforementioned agency).

Hello!

I would like to know when you send custom IP to the tracker, will it show as such to other people connected to you? Doesn't matter when using .torrent or .magnet? Also does DHT, UDP support, uTP or anything else influences it?

The reason i'm asking is because some copyright agency sent a threatening warning to my addres (they got the name through my ISP of course) that i allegedly was seeding some movie back in over a year ago!!! Which i have no recalling of whatsoever. I've heard they use some app that scans public trackers and snatch up IP-s that are seeding their clients' works. So will fake hostname reporting to the tracker obfuscate this?

Thank you war giving me an insight into this.

For a DMCA letter to get to you from your ISP that would mean they caught your IP was doing torrent of copyright protected program and to say otherwise is hard to believe here. I seen those letters and they match up to your IP from your ISP. Fake trackers just slow your system down. If the torrent is public then you will not get DMCA letters nor would your ISP send you those letters.

Okay, so it's basically a setting that doesn't have a much purpose for average torrent person.

Other than dedicated VPN, what other settings potentially makes you more anonymous? Like disabling DHT, UPX and such? Are there any relevant apps there out that so-called blacklist monitoring IPs in trackers?

Edit: i should mention i mean anonymity in regards to other peers in the swarm. I don't intend to hide my activity from my ISP, but other connected peers (like the aforementioned agency).

That last line is disingenuous and far from the truth. I will call it as it is. If your torrent are public I know for fact your ISP could care less just like DMCA would care less as well. VPN are not true anonymous if they want your tracking they can get it or VPN will say you can use it for own uses but should you get caught Torrenting WE will terminate your account. So VPN have their own reason to have your signed the contract and they have Rules to their VPN.

Thanks for the explanation, but i think there's some misreading going on here.

The copyright agency in question uses something called NARS to pick up IPs from the swarm. That i know. NARS picked up my IP from some torrent (they don't mention in their papers where the file was being shared, though). So based on the IP they sent a request to my ISP getting my contact information. This pay-up-or-else scheme started last year in this country.

My question was is there any way to obfuscate my IP to other connected peers? So that when NARS downloads the same torrent as i it can't see my legit IP. That's why i was thinking about the "IP to report to tracker" feature present in uTorrent.

Thanks for the explanation, but i think there's some misreading going on here.

The copyright agency in question uses something called NARS to pick up IPs from the swarm. That i know. NARS picked up my IP from some torrent (they don't mention in their papers where the file was being shared, though). So based on the IP they sent a request to my ISP getting my contact information. This pay-up-or-else scheme started last year in this country.

My question was is there any way to obfuscate my IP to other connected peers? So that when NARS downloads the same torrent as i it can't see my legit IP. That's why i was thinking about the "IP to report to tracker" feature present in uTorrent.

Then you need to go to your ISP and contest this letter. Only way they get your IP is that you downloaded/shared that file that is the only real way to get your IP tracked. And you need to signed a letter with your ISP verifying you never shared such file this is how you get off the list. But remember this is a 3 strike rule and if they catch it a 3rd time your internet will get terminated this is your ISP policy to protect them from lawsuit. There probably are ways to do what your asking but that goes beyond torrent forum here.

Again, my actual question remains:

Is there any way to obfuscate and/or spoof your IP to other connected peers with your torrent client without using proxy/btguard or something? Or will every connected peer always see your ip in that particular torrent/magnet file you just download?

Let's try to stick with this one. :)

Everything else about getting letters and whatnot - that i know, and that's not something i'm trying to contest here. Because they use NARS (which presumably is some bot that downloads the copyright firm clients' torrents from public trackers) that will collect IP-s in the swarm, is there any way to hide/spoof my IP to other connected peers?

Archived