[uTorrent 3.4.5 (41372)] High memory usage with high max number of active torrents. High HDD utilization with inactive big torrents of small files.

Marko13

Hi,

I've recently upgraded from uTorrent 2.2.1 to uTorrent 3.4.5 (build 41372). My system is Windows 7 x64 with 4 GB of RAM. I really love all the improvements of uTorrent 3.4.5 over 2.2.1, but unfortunately I'm experiencing two specific problems with it, which I did not have with 2.2.1, namely:

1) I have nearly 2000 competed torrents in my client. I used to set max number of active torrents (upload or download) to 2000 in uTorrent 2.2.1 (in order to have them 'ready' rather than just being queued for seeding) without any problems. However, if I do this in 3.4.5, it starts filling up all my physical and then virtual memory to the point of making the whole system rather unresponsive (too much file paging for my SSD etc.), even when the torrents themselves are not having any traffic at all at the moment. If I set the aforementioned number to, say, 50, I don't have this problem anymore, but then most of the torrents are only queued for seeding, which is not what I want. Is there anything else I can do to avoid this behavior other than lowering the number of active torrents?

2) A bunch of my completed torrents are big collections consisting of hundreds of small files. When I start uTorrent 3.4.5, these torrents make the client utilize the HDD on which the files are stored for several minutes on, even if they have absolutely no traffic going on. After an hour or so, things go back to normal, but I can't have this kind of HDD activity every time I start the torrent client. I've pinned down the problem to the general type of big torrents of lots of small files: it does not depend on the exact torrent, nor the exact HDD or model. Moreover, big torrents of few big files do not cause any troubles, either. My guess is that uTorrent 3.4.5 implements some new kind of file check that was not present in 2.2.1. Is there anything else I can do to avoid this behavior other than not having this type of torrents in the client?

I've also tried several different recent builds of 3.4.5 with no success. Furthermore, a clean install instead of upgrade did not change the situation at all. I'm using uTorrent 3.4.5 default settings.

Archived