uTorrent slows down HDD big time

pitcold

Hi,

have uTorrent 3.4.5. DL's work pretty fast (have it up to my limit 25 MB/s) but my HDD gets very slow !

Have an up-to-date PC, no matter if I use my internal HDD or an fast extermal HDD with USB3.0 when I copy/move the downloaded files from the HDD where uT saved it to another HDD I never get more than

30 MB/s 

it gets as low as 10 MB/s. When I copy from a non-uT HDD to another I get between 130 and 170 MB/s. CPU and RAM not at the limit. During copy time uT works fine with good DL rate as said. 

5 minutes ago, pitcold said:

that I understand but even if all torrents are stopped or utorrent closed the HDD is f. slow, so I can copy files only with 30MB/s or lower. 

Maybe because the partition that you save your torrents to is very fragmented and utorrent is unable to store the downloaded files in a sequential manner. Copying fragmented files will be slow.

thanks, but this is definetly not the case as I recently formatted the HDD and use a defrag program regularly. Also as said this problem I have is with both HDDs I used for uT (with the first HDD I thought of some special problems or so but with the second HDD (after starting from scratch) I have same problem).

I had eMule DLs/tmp files too on same HDD, in eMule I could rather move my mouse cause of all the slow downs, then I removed emule completely from this uT HDD (eMule running on another HDD is fast now again). So uT slows down the HDD, what I do now is to use all night and the time I dont use my PC (but uT ofc) to copy the files with ~15 MB/s speed to another disk. Sometimes the DL with uT is faster than copy files from HDD to another!

now I completely formated the HDD (not in speed mode but in-deep, took 12 hours, a 4TB HDD) and when I copy ow the first downloaded utorrent I have ~ 66MB/s, so it's still about half the speed I have normally when copying files but utorrent DL's where active during this copy, so this is ok, thanks for the tip. Btw, what you mean "defragmenting the files before..." I can defrag my whole HDD (which has only 1 partions) but not single files. So I think I have to defrag the HDD very often because I download ~ 1TB through uT per day.

Archived