µTorrent Stable(3.4.5 build 41712) Symantec flags as trojan and OpenCandy

Ackman

Why is it when I try to install this version that I downloaded directly from http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/win get flagged, and deleted, by Norton Antivirus?

Why do I get warnings that it is a Trojan and is trying to install OpenCandy to my system? NAV states that the file contains Suspicious.Cloud.9 and deletes it from my system.

I want to update to the newest version, but if this is truly what is happening, I will delete this software and use another bittorent client that does not try to install malware on my system.

I have been reading all over the internet on how uTorrent has been doing this and even Google is refusing to let the client run.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yeah, for some time when upgrading I noted that Kaspersky would flag some of the installer libraries as possible harm and deletes them. I thought looking at paying for the free license would get rid of some of the ads, but it turned out there are problems getting to the payment system - probably related to the adware involved and the antivirus/antimalware interacting with utorrent. I ended up living with a slightly older version that is stable. I do not mind contributing to a quality product that is being worked on yearly. But the value of the uTorrent Plus features I would use is minor for me compared to the cost, and with the headaches the last time I tried to pay for the ad-free version, maybe one should wait a while for a new stable version that works smoothly with setting up ad-free with typical antivirus/antimalware software Or, if there was a ad-free installer, the Norton issue would go away, an so would the less dramatic but setup issues with some of the other vendors that had little problem with older release installers.

On 31/01/2016 at 10:13 PM, Ackman said:

I want to update to the newest version, but if this is truly what is happening, I will delete this software and use another bittorent client that does not try to install malware on my system.

Don't bother running the installer when updating to the latest version.

Doing the following is far less hassle and much quicker.

After downloading the latest version:

Simply exit uTorrent. Then place the latest uTorrent.exe you downloaded into the folder where uTorrent runs from - over-writing the previous uTorrent.exe.

(If you wish to go back to a previous version, don't worry - previous versions should be in the Updates folder).

After over-writing, simply launch uTorrent. Job done.

Archived