Hey guys, Ive got couple of questions

dangercat

Im a torrent newbie and was just wondering about a few things

First of all, this torrent im downloading at the minute has the following:

Seeds: 2 of 6 connected (220 in swarm)

Wasted: 195mb 117 hashfails

Ok, there's only 2 of 6 people currently seeding, is this correct? But what's the swarm part about?

The wasted part, should I be worried that this is happening?

And also when I check the logger part of the program when a torrent is downloading, Im getting all these banned IP's and also Piece "Insert Number" Failed Hash Check

Is there such a thing as a bad torrent? Does this sound like one?

Would greatly appreciate it if an advanced torrenter could help me out, cheers

The number in the parentheses is what the tracker is reporting, which is often inaccurate. 6 is the number µTorrent has confirmed are connected.

As for the wasted, that's a bit much. Yes, there are poisoned torrents, and this might very well be one, but it can also lie with your hardware. What router are you using?

i it's a TV/Movie torrent it most probably is a poisoned torrent, try one of the OpenOffice torrents and see if it happens the same way, if not u can be sure u are getting a poisoned torrent and most probably never gonna end it so u better get a new torrent

If there's enough people on even a poisoned torrent with real seeders then if you ban/block the tyical poisoners (especially the 38.x.x.x ip range and a few others...), you'll likely still finish the torrent -- it just may take a long time and you'll see numerous ip bans for hash failure along the way.

It might be worthwhile to close µTorrent and restart it once a day or more just to clear the temporary bans on ips for hash fails, simply because multiple ips often get banned for 1 failed hash...even though only 1 may have set bad data.

Archived