Save (export) torrent

danijel00

Hm... I had been thinking about this a while ago, but forgot to post it. µTorrent does copy torrents into its settings folder, so maybe this feature wouldn't be too hard to implement (just copy it out of that folder). I don't know how often it would be used, though =T

I would like an option to save an existing torrent to a file (*.torrent), so i can send it to someone or i can use it in another client.

store torrents does something like that, but i can't store a torrent that is allready added...

if you do that, all that the other person does with your torrent it will count to your ratio.

Yea, just edit out the passkey from the announce URL before sending out the torrent. Private trackers should not really use that method anyway (Notice how FileListFileMP3 work ? when you login on the site it saves your IP, and only allows connection to the tracker from that IP. useful.)

• 3 months later...

Good thing i searched for this topic, didn't want to bother with duplicate topics. Anyway, I would also like to have this feature as I prefer to keep as few torrents displayed in utorrent as possible (just a pet peeve i guess) just to make it look clean / nicer rather than having a bunch (bunch = about 5 or 6) of torrents that i have to think about. If I didn't save the torrent in the first place, which I normally don't until I switched to this program, I'd have to have the torrent displayed until I had the proper ratio. I'd rather have it so that I can concentrate on what I -am- downloading- and then I could add the torrents that I have to seed later.

Hm... I had been thinking about this a while ago, but forgot to post it. µTorrent does copy torrents into its settings folder, so maybe this feature wouldn't be too hard to implement (just copy it out of that folder).

thanks for this didn't know about it.

Only problem with that is that any tracker changes aren't saved. That isn't too much of a big deal though, especially when you're only "exporting" one torrent, but if you have like... 20, and you modified most of them (unlikely, but hypothetical), it might be a pain in the ass to copy the modified tracker list when you reimport the torrents somewhere.

Ultima has the point I was thinking of, it was raised a while ago in another thread (once you change tracker etc in µTorrent, there is no way to export a torrent with the changed info other than completely regenerating the torrent using the wizard).

Yea, just edit out the passkey from the announce URL before sending out the torrent. Private trackers should not really use that method anyway (Notice how FileListFileMP3 work ? when you login on the site it saves your IP, and only allows connection to the tracker from that IP. useful.)

That's the way torrentbits used to work until the got the passkey system - and now most sites use passkeys. IMO, it's better, since people with dynamic IPs don't have to continually redownload the .torrents. I have no sympathy for people uploading torrents to public sites with their passkey in them :D

• 1 year later...

This is a good feature, I had to make a fresh install of µTorrent, removed settings.dat and resume.dat, and then I have to reiniciate any torrent, this could be a good feature so I can have a copy of each torrent on a folder, for later use.

• 4 months later...

I'd like to give my support to a feature like this too. I was about to reinstall my operating system (Vista, i hate it) back to Win XP before i remembered i have a significantly large list of torrents waiting to be downloaded and that i would lose them when during the reinstall. Reason i do have such a large list is for a few reasons main ones being i have alot of things i want to download and i don't have a particularly large download quota on my internet. Thus when i see something i like, i stick it in the list to download at a later date.

I will be using Firon's suggestion about finding that directory containing all my torrents and going through them to match the ones i haven't downloaded, but for ease it would be a handy feature i believe.

I'd like to give my support to a feature like this too. I was about to reinstall my operating system (Vista, i hate it) back to Win XP before i remembered i have a significantly large list of torrents waiting to be downloaded and that i would lose them when during the reinstall.

You would not lose them if you would care to backup the %APPDATA\utorrent folder and restore it on the new OS.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Where_are_the_settings_and_.torrent_files_stored.3F

Where are the settings and .torrent files stored?

They are stored in %AppData%\uTorrent. The .torrent files you load are stored there so µTorrent can keep track of your torrents.

• 2 years later...

Ultima, you hit it on the head. I have 200+ torrents on my server that I need to add web seeding to. That is beyond a pain. My tracker also adds a passcode when a torrent gets downloaded, so I didn't bother to put in the tracker. Recently I have discovered that BitTornado (and maybe other clients?) locks up on torrents that have passcodes. Hence I will need to add the simple tracker version without passcode to a large percentage of those 200+ torrents.

In order not to lose seeders that are already seeding the torrent, I also need to be certain that the hash is identical and that the torrent is then accepted as identical as the previous one.

While bencode works fine for a torrent or two, editing 200+ in bencode is tedious at best.

A save (export) torrent feature would help me and be very appreciated.

Archived