Auto-move completed downloads not working for files

jc28735250

• Operating system: Windows 7
  • uTorrent version: 3.4.6 Beta (build 41845)

I've always used the feature where uTorrent automatically moves completed downloads into subfolders named after the torrent Label.

The checkbox for this feature is long gone but it has always functioned correctly for me.

Recently, however, I have started noticing that it is failing to move completed downloads into the appropriate sub folders (but still moves it to the main completed downloads folder).

Specifically, torrents that consist of single files do not get moved; however, torrents that contain folders do get moved.

The difference in behavior between single files and folders leads me to believe this is either a bug or a new feature that specifically targets single files, but I am currently unable to reproduce the desired behavior of moving ALL completed downloads to label-specific subfolders.

Does anyone know a solution for this problem?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, PiusX said:

All here needs to do their own reporting of problems by Following the Reporting Rules to report problems.

but just for knowing.. old method to move completed download are now deprecated?

the new method (label-folder mapping in preferences->label) is the official method?

edit:

in my opinion old method and new method are not the same.

old method move completed download to a folder appending label name as a folder.

new method forces you to create some label rules. and label rules are not clear.

for example if I want to create a label name "books" I've to:

1. under preferences->label I've to create a new label "books" with some definition (I can't find the rules for this definitions)

2 under preferences->label I've to set for this new label a label-folder mapping

3. starting a new torrent I've to set the new label "books"

it's crazy.

previosly when I add a new torrent I choose label books and all was simple. even without a previous configuration for "books" label.

edit2:

I revert to 3.4.5 (build 41865) and move completed to labeled folder works (with option in webui to append label checked)

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2016 at 1:20 PM, jc28735250 said:

I've always used the feature where uTorrent automatically moves completed downloads into subfolders named after the torrent Label.

The checkbox for this feature is long gone but it has always functioned correctly for me.

Recently, however, I have started noticing that it is failing to move completed downloads into the appropriate sub folders (but still moves it to the main completed downloads folder).

Specifically, torrents that consist of single files do not get moved; however, torrents that contain folders do get moved.

The difference in behavior between single files and folders leads me to believe this is either a bug or a new feature that specifically targets single files, but I am currently unable to reproduce the desired behavior of moving ALL completed downloads to label-specific subfolders.

have you resolved the problem or anyone resolved it.

I am facing the similar problem and searching for the solution. Please let me know if you have found any solution. Files without folder not moving to towards labeled folder name. Only files with folder moving to their respective folder name.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2016 at 8:50 AM, jc28735250 said:

so...the problem is still present in stable 3.4.8 build 42576.

can we have a feedback from the developers?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

guys, do you have any news about this problem?

I am using latest stable build 3.4.9 (43388) and although there is a choice to append the torrent's label, files still don't move

Can someone please tell me which is the most recent version where this was working so I can use that at least?

• 1 month later...

Been a week and moderators have not approve my comment.  Here it is again:  Please post

Upgraded to version 3.5. same problem persists.  Been an avid utorrent user for years and years, but this may be the bug that causes me to look for other software.  The only way I have been able to correct this problem is by rolling back to substantially older versions, which are much more unstable.  Very frustrating because it is seemingly a conscious choice by the programmers to disallow the use of the forward slash ("/") as a recognized symbol.  As everyone has mentioned: I have become used to building labels which specifically detail my desired folder and subfolders, or even to create those subfolders simply by structuring the label as "Folder/Subfolder/Subsubfolder"  This label would, up until version 3.4.X or so locate "Folder" if one existed (if it did not it would create it), and then locate or create each subfolder contained within it for easy filing of what could become elaborate filing systems.

As stated by all these users above: this functionality is, for whatever reason, no longer present.  Files are now ungracefully plopped into the main download location in folders sloppily described as "Folder_Subfolder_SubSubfolder" using my example from above. It appears the forward slash is now an unrecognized symbol which no longer provides the user with the ability to sort, but is instead just converted to an underscore and altering name of now 1 folder.  What is the reason for this change?  Will this problem be corrected?  It has been almost a year that this functionality has been removed?  What is the intent here?  Is a fix forthcoming?  I have been clumsily using old versions for nearly a year, and would just like to know if I am failing to use some other functionality that has maybe been provided with these updates, or if there is simply some reason why utorrent can no longer sort and created multiple levels of folders with the download of each file.  The entire concept of the label system's functionality is seemingly removed if ultimately all files are going to end up tossed into 1 download location anyway (albeit in wrongly named folders misinterpreting the carefully selected file trees into run-on file names connected by underscores).  Am I missing something?

PLEASE HELP.  I AM SPENDING MY LIFE MOVING FILES AFTER THEY ARE DOWNLOADED.  TAKE ME BACK TO THE OLD DAYS WHEN A FORWARD SLASH MEANT SOMETHING!

P.S. Additionally: i have seen some users touting the idea that replacing the forward slash with a backward slash could restore this functionality: i have not found this to be the case.  

P.P.S. This is a bigger mystery than when utorrent hid the "append the file" option, only to be located inside the online GUI options, but nowhere else.  That was tricky, but at least there was a fix...

Archived