Magnet Links Not Loading Properly

zw11

Hi I'm new here, I have spent a couple of days trying to sift through the internet blogs to see if anyone else has the same problem and I can't seem to find anyone that has. There have been some similar problems, but not ones quite like mine, or have the same fix as mine that I can work out.

A couple of days ago windows 7 did some updates when I turned it off, not a problem I said! The next day when I tried to use pirate bay magnet links, they would try and load up in Utorrent's "Add Torrent" window but the files wouldn't show up and it just continued to try and load them. So, I clicked start download and it pops up in the download section but it just sits there, no seeds and not downloading. This has never happened before. I saw that there's a link on piratebay that says "Problems with magnets links are fixed by upgrading your torrent client" and I did that, said there was no new updates. So I uninstalled it, reinstalled the new one, still no luck. I uninstalled that version, did some scouting on the net and found some older versions, STILL no luck. Just won't go past trying to load the files, it can't seem to find them. And it isn't just one link, it's any link i try, lots of seeders or no seeders. DHT is all on, I checked that. I downloaded BitTorrent to see if that would help, but this has the same issue. I also noticed that I couldn't stream videos on Youtube or other streaming sites except Facebook videos seemed to work. Thinking there might be an issue with Firefox, I uninstalled that and re-installed the new version, flash player etc and that didn't fix anything.

I re-installed Windows 7 as i'm not greatly tech-savvy thought maybe there was a virus AVG couldn't detect etc although i'm very careful with what i download as i've been got before by hidden ad-ware. Re-installed both UTorrent and BitTorrent, and re-installed Firefox (which is the browser i've always used)... The same problem exists... I tried using IE as well, same issues. I don't know if anyone can help, I'm starting to go a bit crazy and my last resort is a long drive into town to find and pay someone to fix this issue that has risen out of nowhere :( I use an Asus X551M if that's of any help.

and this screenshot is what i see when i click the magnet link/s, but the files never load up, so if i just click OK it shows me the screen in the previous post with no activity :( Gah i wish i knew more about computers!!!

screenshot2.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I found and removed the dht.dat and dht.dat.old files, unfortunately that did not work And my streaming is now super slow again when all I have downloaded since I re-installed Windows 7 is Open Office, Firefox, Adobe Flash, BitLord, uTorrent and AVG. The "virus" that AVG found was OpenCandy (not sure how it got there, other blogs suggest the download of uTorrent was where it could have come from), otherwise nothing else has been found.

I have also checked out other questions like this one -

and all seems to be in order, my proxy server type is (none), in Options-> Preferences-> BitTorrent everything is ticked except limit local peer bandwidth, and Protocol Encryption Outgoing is disabled, Allow incoming legacy connections is ticked... AVG has it as an exception in its firewall, per AVG and ticked in Options-> Preferences-> Connection.
I still don't know what's going on with it, has anyone else had this problem?? Or have any other suggestions? Things I may not have checked or looked for?

Thanks for your reply PiusX :) I have "solved" my problems. I live in Tasmania, Australia. An underwater fiber optic/electricity/natural gas (and some other stuff I can't remember) line that goes from the mainland Australia to Tasmania was damaged (which i knew about but thought it was just an electricity/natural gas line) and the day all of these problems started was the day that they turned it back on after starting repairs and apparently nearly fried the whole line network of cables which slowed download speeds to 24kbps!! I wasn't alone, but unfortunately the general public did not know what was going on. Tasmanian internet providers failed to tell ANY of their clients, including MY provider, and I only found out due to a media report yesterday. No email, phonecall, letter in the mail or anything!! Noticed that they had put up a statement on their Facebook page after I had seen this media report, so now it all makes sense now. Nothing I can do until they fix the cable except ring my provider and give them a piece of my mind!!!

Bright side is one of the main (I think the biggest?) Australian providers Telstra has their own seperate undamaged underwater lines and today officially rented bandwidth to the Internet companies who are affected, so I can torrent again!!

So I feel silly now as I did all this research thinking it was something to do with my laptop when it was actually a problem out of my control and I didn't even think to check out my internet provider (i'm not alone their either haha!), but happy that it wasn't something detrimental that i couldn't fix lol :D

Archived