Can't Prevent (sub)Folder Creation on Multi-File Torrent When Changing Download Location

Hossy

Ok, I wanted to start out by saying this topic seems to be beaten to death thoroughly, so I want to be clear that I'm not asking how to avoid subfolder creation when adding a torrent.  For those that got to this topic looking for how to do this, there's a nice thread here about it with a great screenshot.

My situation: I often store multiple multi-file torrents in the same folder.  I've heard people argue against this, but I've yet to be compelled to do otherwise.  Sometimes, I need to rename a folder in the path in which an active torrent resides.  This normally wouldn't be a big deal using the Advanced > Set Download Location... option to re-point the torrent to the new location.

My problem: For a multi-file torrent (and even if that torrent was originally added with the "Create Subfolder" option unchecked), when you execute the Advanced > Set Download Location... option, uTorrent will create a subfolder in the chosen location.

There are two failure scenarios that occur here (assuming the multi-file torrent was created with the "Create Subfolder option unchecked):

1. In the case where you are using the Set Download Location... option to MOVE torrent files from location A to location B, uTorrent creates a subfolder in location B and moves the torrent files to that subfolder in location B (not the desired effect).

For example:

You are running a torrent "MyTorrent" and the torrent files are located in C:\MyFiles and you want to move these files to D:\MyFiles.  So, you execute Set Download Location... and select the folder, D:\MyFiles.  uTorrent creates D:\MyFiles\MyTorrent and moves the files associated with "MyTorrent" from C:\MyFiles to D:\MyFiles\MyTorrent.  This is not the desired effect.  The desired effect was to move the associated files from C:\MyFiles to D:\MyFiles.

2. In the case where the path to the torrent files changed outside uTorrent and it cannot find the files, using the Set Download Location... option to inform uTorrent where the files reside results in uTorrent creating a subfolder under the specified path and not finding the files.

For example:

You are running a torrent "MyTorrent" and the torrent files are located in C:\MyFiles and you already moved the associated files to D:\MyFiles and now uTorrent is complaining that it cannot find the files.  So, you execute Set Download Location... and select the folder, D:\MyFiles.  uTorrent creates D:\MyFiles\MyTorrent, but cannot find the torrent files.  This is not the desired effect.  The desired effected was for uTorrent to look in D:\MyFiles for the torrent files.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Archived