Slower than Azureus?

Amanaman

I used to use Azureus for downloading torrents, but it took up so much memory I switched to Utorrent which seemed promising. However, when downloading a torrent the maximum speed I have been getting is around 20kbps, with Azureus often getting to 200. To test this, I downloaded the same torrent with both clients - Utorrent got up to 26kbps (which took about half an hour to get up to) whereas Azureus climbed to 60kbps after 10 minutes. I am using the same free port that Azureus as well as the same upload speed. The nat is fine - I really want this to work :(

Advertisements are supposed to attract pple. Anyways it might be, but that doesnt mean it will be for all. If 1.6 is not doing good for u, try utorrent 1.5. If both arent, oops ! Go back to azureus

Use a client, or a version of a client, that gives u the best results. Not what pple say, advertise, or the majority use :)

For argument sake, just use a different port dude. Ports dont make a diff. Just use a high port number and use the same torrent on both clients at different times and see the diff. And if one gives better results, use that or try to figure better settings for the one that didnt give u that good results

What I wd advise is try a few torrents , not one. Coz sometimes u get connected to a paticular uploader and get good speeds, making it seem u are getting better speeds. Try a few torrents

All the best.

If you have patched TCPIP.sys previously, try turning up the Net.max_halfopen to a higher value - that may allow uTorrent to ramp up faster. Try setting "bt.connect.speed" to a higher value as well.

It is certainly possible that Azureus is faster for your torrents, though. Clients have subtle differences in how they ask for data - like how many requests they pile on, what pieces they ask for first, and so forth. It doesn't help that these days uTorrent asks for the rare pieces first, which may be good for the swarm and maybe even your overall upload speed but does nothing for its rampup rate, because rare pieces are by definition in less plentiful supply and thus are slower to respond to demand.

Sometimes, I wonder whether there should be more options for manual adjustment of the algorithm, but this function is not in any client I know of. I bet it will never be implemented on grounds it may be abused. Well, maybe, but I still think it might be nice - it'd at least give me an illusion I'm doing something when a stupid, BitComet dominated, DHT-only torrent freezes for a whole day with all the guys being able to finish the thing in minutes IF ONLY THEY WOULD TRADE THE LAST PIECE WITH EACH OTHER!!!

Sorry for getting off topic, but the point is - it is certainly possible you'd get better responses with Azureus. In that case, I suggest you use uTorrent in daytime so you can get some work done. At night transfer to Azureus.

Archived