uTorrent keeps more active torrents than set

Anon

Hello. I couldn't find any thread that addresses this issue.

My bandwidth is limited so I can only have one active torrent either for download or upload. So in settings I have maximum active torrents and downloads both set to 1. I noticed lately that regardless of this setting, uTorrent keeps a lot more torrents active (either one Downloading and a few Seeding or ~5 torrents seeding). This behavior is new and I remember it was not happening before. When I had one torrent Downloading, all uploads where Queued and when I had an active upload, I remember there wouldn't be more than one extra torrent active (Seeding). Fortunately, despite having 5 active uploads (Seeding), all bandwidth goes to one torrent but I believe having fives times more active torrents than set consumes bandwidth, something I don't want.

Is this normal? If so, how; why is it disregarding my settings? Why did developers implement this new behavior? Is it a bug introduced with new versions of uTorrent?

Thanks in advance.

Short answer, no because I don't know what to look for in order to make uTorrent keep as many active torrents as I set it to do.

I have ~800kbps actual upload speed (modem syncs at ~1000kbps) and I'm using the setup guide to setup uTorrent. I think it knows best what to do. In the setup guide I select 768 kbps upload as it is the closest the real upload speed. After that I reduce further my upload limit to 50 KB/s (from 70 KB/s) and (under Queueing) the maximum active torrents and maximum active downloads to 1. In conclusion, uTorrent is properly set up and set to keep one torrent active but regardless, it chooses to keep more than one torrent active.

Up to 100 KB/s but kinda unstable. It goes up and down from 90 to 100 KB/s. When I'm not using the internet I set it to 90 KB/s and I get a steady upload speed.

EDIT:  I thought you wanted to know what is the maximum upload speed that my connection can achieve. Forget my answer above. I have many torrents uploading, so uTorrent is in a constant process of queueing some and enabling others. Not all torrents have the same amount of peers so the upload speed is not always the same. The problem thought is that uTorrent usually keeps 4 to 5 torrents active (despite being set to only keep one) and this results in a low upload speed probably because it is establishing more connections to peers than my internet connection can handle. The speed is very unstable and usually under 30 KB/s.

Archived