utorrent has crashed a crash dump has been saved

catchyalater420

I'm using 3.4.3 b 40760 (can't upgrade due to a torrent site I'm using) and have the same problem. I tracked down this issue by removing all settings and starting over from scratch.

The option which causes utorrent to crash is "Send detailed info when checking for updates". This option is enabled by default. If you disable it and restart the program it crashes.

Is there a way to edit the settings.dat file to activate this option? I don't want to start over, I want to keep my statistics.

Any help out there?

3 hours ago, cybermcm said:

I'm using 3.4.3 b 40760 (can't upgrade due to a torrent site I'm using) and have the same problem. I tracked down this issue by removing all settings and starting over from scratch.

The option which causes utorrent to crash is "Send detailed info when checking for updates". This option is enabled by default. If you disable it and restart the program it crashes.

Is there a way to edit the settings.dat file to activate this option? I don't want to start over, I want to keep my statistics.

Any help out there?

You actually found where the bug is.

I managed to fix my crash problem using the program BEncode found on this thread.

I opened the settings.dat found on C:\Users\"YourUserNameHere"\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent and deleted the following lines (just hit the DEL button):

.fileguard (b) [40] = "YourHashHere"

anoninfo (i)= 0

After that i saved the modified file and utorrent opened just fine.

Thanks for your input on the "Send detailed info when checking for updates" option.

7 hours ago, DreadWingKnight said:

Time to use smarter sites then. that version isn't supported.

You are right but this site is fine, I still want to use it ;-)

6 hours ago, NOS7Cruzeiro said:

I managed to fix my crash problem using the program BEncode found on this thread.

I opened the settings.dat found on C:\Users\"YourUserNameHere"\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent and deleted the following lines (just hit the DEL button):

anoninfo (i)= 0

Thanks for your input on the "Send detailed info when checking for updates" option.

Great, this worked! I just set the value of anoninfo to 1, this is sufficient. Thanks for your solution!

17 hours ago, NOS7Cruzeiro said:

anoninfo (i)= 0

I just have registered to say thanks to you , you saved me.

12 hours ago, cybermcm said:

Great, this worked! I just set the value of anoninfo to 1, this is sufficient. Thanks for your solution!

This worked for me on BitTorrent 7.9.2.

I had the same problem as everyone else, crashing on boot with only giving the option to send a report.

For BitTorrent, I had to edit the settings.dat and amend (below in red):

17:addprewndexpandedi1e8:anoninfoi0e17:

To:

17:addprewndexpandedi1e8:anoninfoi1e17:

So it's the same basic fix just slightly less fun looking code.

Thanks to NOS7Cruzeiro & cybermcm for their solution!

Archived