Web Interface

flapjack

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who whant a web interface, why not just make a simple upload script with php, and host it on etc ISS or Apache (I believe they are booh free?)

Make a secure login, and a feature to download torrent files from a url, or upload from the computer you are using.

Then use the already intergrated features in µTorrent, like

"Put new downloads in: /downloads/incomplete/",

"Move completed downloads to: /downloads/complete" and

"Automatically load torrents in directory: /downloads/torrents/" to complete the system.

Then you can make some nice reports based on what the different cataloges contains, wich should give you are view of what is done and whats still downloading.

For those who whant a web interface, why not just make a simple upload script with php, and host it on etc ISS or Apache (I believe they are booh free?)

Make a secure login, and a feature to download torrent files from a url, or upload from the computer you are using.

Then use the already intergrated features in µTorrent, like

"Put new downloads in: /downloads/incomplete/",

"Move completed downloads to: /downloads/complete" and

"Automatically load torrents in directory: /downloads/torrents/" to complete the system.

Then you can make some nice reports based on what the different cataloges contains, wich should give you are view of what is done and whats still downloading.

That may be possible. My only question is how often does uTorrent check the "Automatically load torrents in directory" option? I was under the impression that it was only on start up, but I could be completely wrong.

The only problem with this is that it will only allow you to add torrents, not pause/remove them. Getting the file sizes and completion % may be possible, but I would need to look into it. But it is deffinately a step in the right direction.

I posted before that I am wanting a web interface as well. If we could just get some sort of query system I could easily build the PHP app to run it all. In fact, I would prefer a query-based system so that I could make my own web app with AJAX. I used to use Azueres but it was a memory hog. I hate not having a way to remotely manage my torrents, but I love uTorrent so I'm sticking with it.

• 3 weeks later...

If people so desperately request it, then it can be written as a separate program

The simplest solution i can think of is a program that checks a designated email address. Any emails arriving from person X with a .torrent file attached, and the program can start the torrent. A bit more effort and details can be scraped out of utorrent's listview of running torrents to provide stats, and with some more work, proper remote control would be possible. I'm fairly sure it can all be done without evenchangng the utorrent exe.. just make another exe :)

(though the job would be greatly simplified if utorrent had a way of connecting and pulling an xml stream with info on the running torrents/pushing commands to manage torrents)

The icons don't work yet, but the WebUI is in an alpha state. They will when it's finished. There will also be a "standard" HTML version for old PCs/clients and so on. And yes, that's the point of having it standalone, to not bloat the client for a feature not that many people need/use. :)

First, thank you for all the postive comments. I was joking about the negative comments; please start typing.

@Ghost21: The icons do work.

@1c3d0g: We all love candy.

@Splintax: I have now made it more-or-less compatible with Firefox, Opera, and IEvil.

@HCLivess: A pre-release is available only in special cases where people have donated over 100 USD :). The webui still needs allot of work and isn't quite ready for pre-releasing.

Archived