illegal?

wiplash

Depends on your country of residence. in some countries (not a lot I imagine) downloading/uploading is not illegal, in some countries only uploading is illegal (which inherently means BT crosses the line as you automatically upload what you download) and in some countries including, but not limited to, Spain, France, Sweden, USA(?) both downloading and uploading is illegal.

Even when it's not implicitly illegal, your country's copyright lobbying group(s) may try to use scare tactics like legal threats, and letters to your ISP to get you to stop sharing.

If you're not so much worried about the legalities of the matter, but more about the risks of "being caught", then find a private tracker you can only join via an invite from a friend, use header encryption, protowall and/or PG2, etc.. none of it is foolproof, but every little bit might help.

Edit: sorry for repeating, was a bit slow replying.

it's not illegal to download illegal stuff here.. yeah sounds strange.. :P

nothing you download is by itself implicitly "illegal", only the act of downloading and/or uploading can be illegal by law (and in many countries isn't as downloading is often considered on the same level as making a backup copy, even if you don't own the particular movie/album). Software is a wholly different ball park in some legal systems, although even for example software that "cracks" other software is not by definition "illegal", just putting it to use would be.

The term "illegal" is being used far to lax if you ask me.

hehehe, where? what? huh? :P;)

Anyway,

Yes, most likely it is illegal for you. It depends on where you live but in most countries it is illegal to download copyrighted material, or atleast to upload it which you do when you download with BitTorrent.

If you're in the US for example then the RIAA is not gonna be happy with you and if (BIG if) they caught you they prolly would resort to somesort of legal blabla :)

I don't really care, I download files and if I see something I like I'll also wanna see it in the movies. There's a big ongoing (worldwide) discussion about the legality and ethics of downloading stuff, mp3s forexample.

~HaiDozo

If you're in the US for example then the RIAA is not gonna be happy with you and if (BIG if) they caught you they prolly would resort to somesort of legal blabla :)

RIAA (still) does not equal LAW... the RIAA can be unhappy up the yin yang, so long as there's no law.... which brings me to my next question; is downloading in fact illegal (by law!) in the States? I'm pretty sure I've ever only heard of ppl being sued and them settling over counts of uploading copyrighted materials.

• 5 months later...

Yes, there are plenty of ways for them to track you down. They can check tracker logs. They can connect to the swarm. People block "known" anti-P2P IP ranges, but they can always just use their home connections to do monitoring. How common? Dunno, but from what I've seen, it's on the rarer side.

Archived