utorrent causing computer to crash and reboot

I have been a faithful user since 2006 or 2007, and this is the first time I have been humbled into asking for help. I can general fumble around online and solve my issues. Small price to pay for the awesomeness that is utorrent. But this has me against the wall. 

After a torrent has been active for a few minutes, my machine locks and reboots (no BSOD even). utorrent can be open without problem, as long as any torrents are paused. As soon as even one of them is active, the lock and reboot will happen within minutes. I have searched for this and the most recent thing was from 2009, so I figure there might be some better info out there. I have a 64bit windows 10 machine with 8g ram. 

I am not great with computers, but I downloaded something called bluescreenview to see the cause of the crash. 

it had a couple things that might be clues:

"Bug check string"  PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA  

"caused by address" ntoskrnl.exe+1427a0  

I have reinstalled the latest version of utorrent, and I have moved my DL folder from an external usb3 drive to my c drive on my machine.

I have monitored the memory use when the lock happens and there is no spike that I can see from the task manager screen. 

HELP!! Argh.

2 hours ago, DreadWingKnight said:

uTorrent doesn't operate at a level where it can be the root cause of the crash.

See what bluescreenview reveals.

It might not be the root cause, but it is the only link in the potential chain of causes that I know will cause the problem. I do a lot of stuff with this machine that uses a lot of resources, and nothing locks the machine but utorrent. Last time it locked the memory showed 20% usage. 

It seems like this must happen to many other users, and therefore would have an easy fix. As it is I dont know how to interpret the bluescreenview results and am at a loss of what to do. Is there any further guidance you can give? I have already spent half a day on this issue and am at a wall.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I have the exact same situation. Since you switched destination from external drive to C drive and still have that problem, that means it isn't the hard drive's fault? I was wondering if it was my external causing it, but it seems maybe not.

I dunno why it's happening but it's definitely utorrent. I am able to trigger the problems many many times, lol, within one minute of restarting and I don't open any other apps. Good luck to anyone who has the same issue! I've been using utorrent for years and years... Only started happening recently.

I have a theory about my graphics card, although it is updated as far as drivers go... It might be certain video ads that are causing the crash. I am running the torrents but I closed the window... And so far so good. Don't know, just testing it out for the first time now... Otherwise, my computer restarted itself four times in a row already, within one minute of utorrent starting back up. :)

I have tried everything, and it simply keeps crashing the computer and restarting it if any torrents are active. Absolutely frustrating. As of a few days ago I am using another program called Deluge. So far seems to work similar to utorrent. It hasnt crashed my computer, which is a nice bonus. Its too bad, because I like utorrent a lot. But I guess I will not be using it from here on out. Bye utorrent, it's been real.

Too bad :T for me, seems closing the window fixed it. It was the video ads crashing my computer I think. After I closed the window and let torrents run active for an hour with no crashing, I'm convinced. Although I might still check out Deluge......

Archived