auto start seeding

Ferenan

Once the conditions for 'seeding priority' arent met and you limit the upload to 0 for non-prioritized torrents, the torrent stops.

I suggest the option to leaving the torrent "queued" instead of stoping it. So that if the conditions change it starts seeding again. This is mainly for the 'Number of seeds is less than: ' condition.

Example: my settings are to prioritize if the share ratio is below 100% and the number of seeds is less than 5

Start - I download a torrent and it seeds enough so that its no longer in seeding priority (1.0 ratio and more than 5 seeds) at this point the torrent is stoped.

Later on - the seeds on the torrent fall to below 5, since the torrent is stoped it doesnt seed anymore. What i sugest is the option to leave it queued so that if the seeds fall anytime below 5 it'll start seeding again.

thanks. This is helpfull for sharing some rare files.

yes of course... i didnt meant to change from changing the current feature from stop to queue,

I meant for an option to change the default action for non-prioritized torrents (lets you chose between stopping the torrent or queueing it) for those of us who want it, that way if you dont want it enabled you can just turn it off.

I'd suggest that the seeding priority was global + per-torrent which would override global settings. It would help us to realise all our fantasies :D

i dont see what you mean, can you give an example?

I mean that you could set seeding priority for each torrent individually.

But sorry i forgot to mention about queue instead of stop. Such feature (optional) would be nice as well. Indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

maybe this is kind of what you've been requesting in this thread, but i'm not sure, so i'll post my request here:

there are a number of torrents that i would like to keep seeding for a long time, especially those that i know won't have many peers but every now and then there will be someone that wants to download the file. in any case, i would like to have the option of stopping to seed once my ratio is x, and then, if there are no seeds, automatically re-seed again just so that the torrent is kept alive.

for the moment i choose to have a number of torrents seeding with an upload cap of 20kbps, in order not to upload too many gigabytes per day/week/month. but i would much rather upload at high speed for a short time, and then not at all when there are enough copies out there.

i kind of hope my request is impossible with the current client, because i'd feel a little embarrassed if it is.

I second "lenu" (I think). I also have a lot of torrents that I keep around to "keep alive". I would like the app to have an option to seed any torrent that has no seeds - even if the tracker scrape reports 0 leechers. This (0) (0) condition happens a lot with my torrents, and often is just due to trackers with 'bad' scraping. But even if that is not the case, I still want to be 'connected' in case someone shows up. I realize that this would cause extra overhead (keeping open torrents that have no peers), so it should probably be an option.

(P.S.) I have around 60 files that I seed.

• 3 months later...

I have seen numerous posts regarding "seed until X seeders", but this is the only one I could find mentioning a dual condition - "seed until X seeders AND Y%" - as a utorrent user and frequent uploader, this is a feature i sorely miss. While uploading, if I forget to do a forced start, the upload bails when I hit my global 110%, usually leaving the most-completed peer dead in the water around 70%. If I do a forced start, I end up overseeding the crap out of the torrent. I put in my "yes" vote for the "seed until X seeders" option, but the option really doesn't make sense unless you combine it with "AND Y%".

Here's what I would like to see:

I always have a large amount of Queued Seeds, and often see a torrent chosen that has a very large amount of seeders, but there are some other queued seeds that would be more welcome with an extra seeder. So I would like utorrent to figure out which of them is most in need. If torrent A has 20 seeds, and torrent B only 0 or a few seeds but with a couple of leechers, choose for torrent B to start seeding and maybe even queue torrent A instead.

am i making any sense here? ;-)

This does imply that the scraping must improve. My previous bittorrent client did a much better job in getting the current amount of seeders. I often manually start seeding a torrent because the stats tell me that it has a leecher and zero seeders (even after manually requesting for it), but after starting it it turns out it has plenty.

tunic: bt.scrape_stopped

I know, I've got it set to True. But still it happens that a queued seed or seeding torrent has 0 seeders between brackets, and after manually updating, it will change. Or what happened yesterday was that I was seeding a torrent (I was the sole seeder), 0 seeders are listed even after I manually updated the tracker.

Anyways, I've been thinking some more about how the seeding could be improved....

Would it be possible to base it on the seeders/leechers ratio? To calculate the ratio of all queued seed and seeding torrents, then pick the one(s) to start seeding that have the least favourable ratio and the least amount of seeders.

Archived