Trackers Not Working

Krotz in China

I am someone of a novice to torrents and trackers, so please be gentle ....

I have used uTorrent together with Astrill VPN for several years with no problem.  In the last two weeks, however, everything has stopped working. I spent a lot of time looking at the forum to see if others have the same problem, and investigated the ports, VPN, router, ISP, etc., and have come to the conclusion that the issue is the trackers are not working properly.  In a nutshell, I am downloading files that have a lot of trackers and are very popular (recent TV shows), so I know there should be lots of seeds and peers.  I tried using different torrent sites, as well as a different torrent downloader, and have the same problem no matter what.

I am using a MacBook Pro, uTorrent 1.8.7, Astrill VPN, and am in China using the standard internet service from China Unicom.  When I load a torrent, roughly eight trackers appear "updating", and then I get a "Connection Timed Out" error in the status column and a message that they will update in some period of time (usually 20+ minutes).  Manually updating the tracker does not help. Turning off the VPN does not help.

Please let me know if other information is needed.  I appreciate any help or advice offered.

Archived