Overload issues - uTorrent chokes system beyond response

ZZZewor

In the past I was downloading something like 20-30 torrents, worth of 100-200 GB

But now it is often over 100 of them, taking ~500 GB on the hard drive. And apparently because of that my system can come to the point when it slows down and soon after is almost unresponsive; and I have to reset it via button residing on the case

And I know it's the fault of the torrents, because this does not happen when uTorrent is off. Also with moderate amount of data [20-30 torrents], I am getting only 1-2 seconds pauses in playback of audio in Winamp; and in BS.Player pauses are only of the video footage, with the audio being played without a choking. But when I have ~100 torrents, pauses in Winamp extend over 3 seconds, in BS.Player I get simultaneous pauses of both video and audio that last even up to 5 seconds, and VLC Media Player starts to display a corrupted image as if it was a case of a corrupted file; and I even get an occasional freeze up of the entire system lasting 1-2 second

The pauses happen all the time. But the choking of the operating system goes like this: sometimes I get days without that manifestation of the problem and sometimes I won't get even an hour of an uninterrupted work. And by interruption I mean a short window of time during which I am still able to for example save a whatever file that I am working on [if I wait something like 10-20 seconds], close all the software in a normal way, and perform reset via the Start menu. But if I don't realize that this is happening, then saving of any file never ends and I can't even close uTorrent [and some of the other software] via the Windows Task Manager, because I get an info about unresponsiveness. And what's weird, if that extreme chocking occurs when the Winamp is still turned on, then I can navigate the playlist within it and even change songs, as if nothing was wrong

Resource Monitor sometime shows uTorrent as taking 20-25% of CPU when this happens, but nothing near 100%, as one may expect

I have AMD APU A10-7850K 3.7 GHz and G.SKILL DDR3 2x8GB 2400MHz. System is run from brand new SSD 2.5" Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SATA III and is regularly restored from an image to avoid any kind of errors that could accumulate over time. Torrents are stored on Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB SATA III 10000 RPM 32MB cache WD1000DHTZ and that HDD has been recently defragmented. Any part of my hardware is nowhere near of being overheated. I run on Windows 7 x64 with uTorrent 3.4.7

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, going down from over a 100 to 70 active and 10 inactive [downloaded and shared] torrents have stabilized my Windows

And this problem manifests itself also in this way: when it starts to occur, coping or moving a file [even between newer and faster models of SSDs] is suddenly at the speed of few MB per second

So that is also how can I notice that it is happening; and I need to save my work, close all the software and reset the system, because closing uTorrent in Tray removes only the icon from it [and even the Task Manager cannot close it for good]

Utorrent for what it is will take up all available bandwidth if you permit it to do so and thus will bog down the CPU over working it. If you want to limit the usage you have to make the preference changes in utorrent so it doesn't hog all the system bandwidth causing slow downs in other apps. The more torrents you dn/up the more system resources you don't see takes to use and manage them thus the CPU is working harder to issues those commands and leaving little if any more for other resources to use the CPU to do their task thus causing slow downs. So you need to prioritize what you need to do and change utorrent preferences so it doesn't take all that is available.

But when this extreme slow down happens, the Resource Monitor still shows uTorrent using the same amount of CPU / RAM, in most cases less than my Firefox is eating at any given time

For years I had settings something like 5-7 torrent managers, including BitTorrent and uTorrent at some point few years ago, and most of the time was running them with full capability of my connection; and have newer experienced something like this [and on, may I add, a practically regular basis]. Of course ~18 years ago I had 10 kB connection, only progressing through time up to the current 2MB, but also I had much slower machines and hard drives

The more torrents you load the more work the CPU has to do to process them utorrent is the software the CPU is the hardware behind the work. The more work you put on it the less it can do other functions that need it for their process. There is a give and take so if you want decent response from the system then you need to drastically reduce how much torrent you use so you can do other process. Otherwise your going to have to increase your RAM and get faster CPU to be able to process all that information.

7 hours ago, ZZZewor said:

Two days ago there was a solution posted to this problem by another user; which apparently works [I'm still testing]
Why was it removed?

Depends on what solution it was? I didn't see the solution?

2 hours ago, Bozobub said:

Because uTorrent devs have more time invested in insisting there are no problems, than in fixing problems, is my theory ^^' .

Again more conspiracy theory.

17 hours ago, PiusX said:

[...]

Again more conspiracy theory

Today I received another e-mail with a post, that is not present in this thread

Here are links to those two deleted messages

http://www.filedropper.com/20161031-1621-overloadissues-utorrentchokessystembeyondre

http://www.filedropper.com/20161103-0134-overloadissues-utorrentchokessystembeyondre

Archived