utorrent == good, but SLOW

flexy

ok guys,

i am 99,9% sure it's not any of my router/network settings but the client. I just downloaded utorrent 1.1.6.

I am not a "n00b" and i know how to configure my router, forward ports, set up upnp/ssdp and the appropriate services.

I also did tests with the upnpntest.exe program to test whether my upnp works - i also did some testing with manual port forwarding (port 32459 is forwarded to my PC from my linksys wrt54G) My config is XP Pro SP 2. I am on comcast 6000/384 and my upload speed is usually at 80% as i use with other BT clients.

I could NOT, under any circumstances, with utorrent and a certain torrent reach above 25kB down, often the download speed is not even what my upload speed is. (around 20kB)

I waited 10/15mins..checked with netstat and saw all my connections and ports connected right...port 32459 incoming OK is connected etc....and i had many outbound connects on other ports.

Also, utorrent says "network OK".

---> With The exact same torrent i can reach much higher speeds in ABC..this torrent obviusly is no high-speed torrent, so no 200kB or better speeds but ABC gave me QUICKLY 70kBs down after a few minutes.

I tried several times (again and again) with utorrent, either manual or using upnp and (as said) barely saw it above 20kB.

If i were unsure about my settings i would post this in "troubleshooting" and ask for help - but as said i am almost certain it is nothing on my side, router settings etc.

EditL now seeing 140KB after a few mins in ABC....utorrent still under 25kB.. :(

I also changed the advanced options "slow connect" and "low cpu" because someone said it might help - but it didnt. It stays VERY slow.

greetings

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can always try to set Bandwidth Allocation=High.

Don't know what this changes (probably priority), but it's worth a try.

Also make sure you have a reasonable amount of slots open (10 - 100 would probably do) and that you haven't set a speedlimit (of course) ;)

Using the suggested site (open office.org) and choosing the best seeded win32(appropriate for My O.S.) I saw a top down speed of 342 kB/s (on a on average 4000-7000down to 300-800up cable internet depending on time of day)

Very Nice!!!!!!!! just shows that I'd bet that 99 times out of 100 it's not the ability of utorrent to use the bandwidth but more the limiting of where the file is coming from (now if I could get all my DL's to run that fast.... :twisted: )

EDIT= this is a now 2nd day convert from Azureus to utorrent if you don't think it's fast I'd bet you haven't tried what I did, AZ NEVER even approached those speeds in my year of using it

this is all nice and good.

But in all honesty we dont always have the option for checking a "good torrent"...and sometimes i can only download the torrent which is available.

If ABC can get much better speeds with the same torrent than utorrent then there must be something client-side which utorrent does different - and this should be fixed !

I cant worry about the torrent quality - usually i'd say a GOOD bt client should do that work FOR ME ???

Also...there should not be a (otherwise) pretty sharp client which "needs well seeded" torrents to achieve good rates while other clients are faster than utorrent ? Would you want to put a disclaimer on utorrent "Please only use with well seeded torrents" ? Come on :)

I really wish you get this fixed...otherwise i am amazed especially about the size of the program...i am a programmer myself and cannot even imagine how you got all this functionality in 96kB...thats very impressive !

I just 'tested' rather informally these 'minimalist' clients side by side, or rather, one after the other, no java, no python, just the base goodness:

utorrent

arctic

torment

just for kicks I threw in ziptorrent even tho I dont particularly care for it. (yes I know its not 'minimalist)

I went to openoffice.org

utorrent=maxed at 302k/s, held that for about a minute, avg was 285-290k

arctic=maxed at 290k, avg, 275-280k

torment=LOLOLOLOL what a joke

ziptorrent=maxed out at 300k, avg was aobut 280k

WHAT are all these 'speed' 'slow' posts about? I used those clients out of the box. these are my uTorrent settings:

I have a 48k up, max is capped at 38, dl=unlimited, its a 3Mb dl.

upload slots per torrent: 10

max peers: 100

Global max peers: 300

net.low_cpu false

bt.slow_connect false

diskio.flush_files true

diskio.write_queue_size 2000

everything else is at default. And I have no speed issues

my box:

Athlon 3000+ Barton

1.5GB RAM

It's disappointing to say but uTorrent is a bit slower than most of the previous client that I've tried. I've tried ABC, Bitcomet, Bitspirit & Azureus. I really don't like to change the settings fearing I might mess things up, so all those clients are on their default settings.

So far I think the fastest download I've ever achieve is using ABC followed by Bitspirit. The fact that uTorrent is slower doesn't make me want revert back to my previous clients since it contain every feature that I ever want, not to much features and not to little. To me it's just a minor setback compared to all features it provide. As long as it done its job, I'm fine with it.

That being said, I hope the developer would improve this client on the next release. I'm loving it and I really don't want to use another new client. :cry:

In my experience, uTorrent regularly achieves far higher throughput than Azureus was capable of. I used to be diehard Azureus fan until a friend pointed out that he was getting much better download rates using uTorrent. So I gave it a try and found that to be the case too.

Sure, there's torrents where I don't get anywhere near my max down bandwidth, but that is always the case with any client. uTorrent consistently gives me better download rates than Azureus ever did.

With regards to comparing uTorrent against XYZ client using the same torrent, you have to take into consideration that each client is likely to be connecting to different parts of the swarm, so obviously there's going to be a speed differential. The only way to truly compare them is if you're successfully connected to the entire swarm.

In my experience, uTorrent regularly achieves far higher throughput than Azureus was capable of. I used to be diehard Azureus fan

az is one of the programs i ALWAYS try new and then de-install again after a while - every few months or so. Because i know many people have az and say it's good.

In reality (for me) i have never seen great speeds with az and thats why i continue reverting back to ABC which *always* gives me good speeds and is overal a food client.

re the speed with utorrent: ican only repeat what i said before. Well seeded torrents with hundreds etc. of seeders is all well and good (as you say)....but i/we need a client which is overall fast and not "only" with "well seeded" torrents off big sites like for linux distributions.

It doesnt help me if i download, say a 500MB file with 40 seeds crawling at 20kB/S (while ABC gives me 140kB) that i COULD have 300kB d/l downloading a linux distro off a big tracker where the torrent has 200+ seeds etc.

Former Azureus user here. I haven't noticed any particular difference in download speeds.

Is it possible that some clients give preferential treatment to peers running the same client? When I ran Azureus I noticed no connections at all to Shareaza peers, (I know I know... Shareaza's torrent handling isn't that great.)

This is presumably a decision made by the Azureus programmers.

As uTorrent gets more users, I would expect this situation to change naturally.

you cant test azureus vs utorrent only on those extremely high seeded torrents and say "OMG LOL SAME SPEED THEY EQUALZ!!" Im not going to be downloading extremely high speed torrents every time. If utorrent is consistently slower than Azureus while downloading everyday torrents, it is the fault of the client.

I find it very slow versus bitcome too. With 2 torrents with bad ratios(lots of peers little seeds) it barely connects to any peers. Bitcomet connects to 50 in the same time it takes UT to connect to 10.

Right now I'm doing 40KB versus 80+ on bitcomet. This a great disappointment as bitcomet enjoys using up all my connections and freezing my computer. Having it do half the speed isn't worth it.

for a fair comparison, are you guys using something else to measure speed or are u use the clients to tell you? Coz I noticed different trackers measure bandwidth slightly differently, eg Azuerus considers all bandwidth so when it says 300kb download that includes the protocol overhead where as utorrent doesn't appear to count the protocol overhead hence it registers a slower speed. Try using DU Meter to measure actual bandwidth throughput for a fair comparison. Also there might be a discrepency on what unit is being used? ie 1024 bytes or 1000 bytes?

I think that the problem is that utorrent doesn't correctly report itself to the tracker, and it is possible that some trackers (or clients) ban unknown clients... maybe it should report itself as azureus...

i also had much lower dl speeds with utorrent than with bitcommet, and all of those were healthy torrents...

you cant test azureus vs utorrent only on those extremely high seeded torrents and say "OMG LOL SAME SPEED THEY EQUALZ!!" Im not going to be downloading extremely high speed torrents every time. If utorrent is consistently slower than Azureus while downloading everyday torrents, it is the fault of the client.
I only did it out of curiosity about the slow speed complaints, I personally dont know where they come from, like I have said from the beginning I have never had a speed problem at all. Fast torrent, slo torrent speeds are good for me. I mean If im not maxing out my speeds im not blaming that on the client because I have seen it do very well. sometimes the torrent iteslf is just slow and you are a torrenter you KNOW if you jump onto a torrent with a lot of peers and one seed (you know what type of torrent im talking about) its going to go a bit slower for a while. That is not the fault of the client. Now there are settings that can be changed for a reason. I changed mine. The settings I use in uTorrent mirror (where applicable) the settings that I use with the Phrogg and the Comet and I get similar (nearly exact) results without spending the resource overhead. Hence I get my computer back when im heavy torrenting. Sounds like a deal to me :D I will be using this until torrenting is outlawed or someone comes up with something better. (client)

I was getting slow download speeds (about 1/3 of normal) untill i disabled UPNP in utorrent's options and manually specified the port that I forwarded from my firewall/router.

I have UPNP disabled (I dont trust Windows to do security related things automatically for me) on my pc (Windows XPs SP2) and think this may have caused this issue.

Hope it helps someone.

I also have problems with speeds. All the settings are set up properly but on private torrent sites I only get 5-10 KB/s... which is low even for my 256kbps connection. I'm currently downloading Ubuntu 5.1 and i'm pretty much maxing, same as I did for OpenOffice.org 2, but for private torrent sites I get low speeds, which is kind of ironic since those sites are private so that speeds are a lot faster. With uTorrent this is definitely not the case, but i use it anyway because it's a nice client and my ratio goes up faster since uTorrent actually uploads as opposed to other clients (don't ask why).

You can always try to set Bandwidth Allocation=High.

Don't know what this changes (probably priority), but it's worth a try.

Also make sure you have a reasonable amount of slots open (10 - 100 would probably do) and that you haven't set a speedlimit (of course) ;)

Where can i set this?

Archived