utorrent == good, but SLOW

flexy

You can always try to set Bandwidth Allocation=High.

Don't know what this changes (probably priority), but it's worth a try.

Also make sure you have a reasonable amount of slots open (10 - 100 would probably do) and that you haven't set a speedlimit (of course) ;)

Where can i set this?

its in the menu when you right-click on a torrent.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was getting slow download speeds (about 1/3 of normal) untill i disabled UPNP in utorrent's options and manually specified the port that I forwarded from my firewall/router.

I have UPNP disabled (I dont trust Windows to do security related things automatically for me) on my pc (Windows XPs SP2) and think this may have caused this issue.

I also have problems with speeds. All the settings are set up properly but on private torrent sites I only get 5-10 KB/s... which is low even for my 256kbps connection.

I refuse to use UPNP as well and set a high static port in my NAT router and uTorrent. Upload speed in uTorrent is limited to just a bit under my max so that I can still surf the web. Haven't really noticed a difference on private trackers versus public ones either. Sometimes you get good seeds, sometimes not. When they're good, which lately seems to be more often than not (ever since I started using uTorrent at 1.1.2 actually), I usually max out my connection (500KB/s down). Actually this can be kind of annoying on large files like Linux distros because the download finishes super fast, and then I have to sit there an watch it seed forever to get to 1:1 lol. Stupid async dsl. Can't bring myself to limit my downloads artifically though, so I guess I shouldn't complain heh. ;)

I think that the problem is that utorrent doesn't correctly report itself to the tracker

oh it doesn't?

client_identified.gif

it doesn't for me too :(

clientname9rl.gif

I have UPNP disabled (I dont trust Windows to do security related things automatically for me) on my pc (Windows XPs SP2) and think this may have caused this issue.

that was it, thanks!

i got a 90KB/s bandwidth, but before this setting i could only download with ~80KB/s.

i'm getting horrible speeds, rarely i get very high speeds, and i can't figure out why:

i have,

- port forwarded

- disabled upnp

- capped my upload to 70%

- global connections: 2000

- max number of connected peers: 250

- number of upload slots: 100

- disabled net low cpu, bt slow connect

but i still can't get solid speeds with different torrents :(

utorrent is clearly slower than the other clients for me too.

What I've noticed - peers connections are very unstable. I mean, they often are being disconnected, then connected again and so on. Why?? THIS could be the cause of worse download speeds.

Other BT clients are seting TCP/IP connection between two peers permanent (well, until one of the peers finish downloading or shutdowns torrent) and using them for transfering data when necessary. More, when client finds a 'friendly' peer that can swiftly exchange data with us, it starts utilizing such connection to the maximum - not only for transfer of one single piece but as long as it is possible (usually, as long as both peers has something to exchange)... and it really works. But not in utorrent, I'm afraid.

Firstly I respect people here who are asking objectivly about dl speeds in utorrent; however to those whinging please remember: uTorrent is a new program. It's brilliant so far, and it's only going to get better.

Being a former Azureus user I love uTorrent for it's speed and low overhead. My memory was suffering at the hands of Azureus with 50+ torrents queued.

I find there are some torrents (well seeded torrents) that go fast on uTorrent, but some that will only go fast on Azureus and it's because of one reason: DHT.

DHT is probably the most important feature that uTorrent lacks at the moment, and it's being worked on as we speak. Look at the release notes for the latest version. This will probably increase speeds dramatically on a lot of torrents where there is a large part of the swarm off the tracker (or if/when the tracker goes offline). Once this is implemented I'm uninstalling Azureus.

Hooray uTorrent!

Firstly I respect people here who are asking objectivly about dl speeds in utorrent; however to those whinging please remember: uTorrent is a new program. It's brilliant so far, and it's only going to get better.

Being a former Azureus user I love uTorrent for it's speed and low overhead. My memory was suffering at the hands of Azureus with 50+ torrents queued.

I find there are some torrents (well seeded torrents) that go fast on uTorrent, but some that will only go fast on Azureus and it's because of one reason: DHT.

DHT is probably the most important feature that uTorrent lacks at the moment, and it's being worked on as we speak. Look at the release notes for the latest version. This will probably increase speeds dramatically on a lot of torrents where there is a large part of the swarm off the tracker (or if/when the tracker goes offline). Once this is implemented I'm uninstalling Azureus.

Hooray uTorrent!

Amen. well said and Im in that same boat you are in, waiting for DHT. The Phrogg and the Comet will be oficially retired :D Actually the Phrogg IS retired, the Comet comes out only for 'special' occasions ;)

I did not run both at the same time, I started UT, waited a while, got 20KB/s. Closed, starting in BC which rechecked the torrent and started. same time, 65KB/S.

While BC was connected to 100+peers, UT was at 20. UT was much slower!

As an Azureus user, I had some initial doubts as to how such a small program could be a replacement for Azureus for so many people. So i decided to give it a go and initially I didnt notice any change but after 15 min or so my speeds skyrocketed. On azureus i usually get decent speeds of 160kb/s but with utorrent i got 400kb/s! All i can say is bravo and mad props to the developers of this software.Cant wait for newer features to come out.

As an Azureus user, I had some initial doubts as to how such a small program could be a replacement for Azureus for so many people. So i decided to give it a go and initially I didnt notice any change but after 15 min or so my speeds skyrocketed. On azureus i usually get decent speeds of 160kb/s but with utorrent i got 400kb/s! All i can say is bravo and mad props to the developers of this software.Cant wait for newer features to come out.

Which only proves more that its not the CLIENT thats slowfast, More like the configuration settings and the specific torrents.

Which only proves more that its not the CLIENT thats slowfast, More like the configuration settings and the specific torrents.

I keep preaching that chaos. works for me ;)

I did not run both at the same time, I started UT, waited a while, got 20KB/s. Closed, starting in BC which rechecked the torrent and started. same time, 65KB/S.

While BC was connected to 100+peers, UT was at 20. UT was much slower!

That's because BitComent has DHT: those extra 80 peers were probably found via DHT.

Excellent post sj26. 8) Where can we get more members like you? :lol:

Oh, and welcome to the µTorrent forums! ;)

Thanks 1c3d0g.

I'm predicting that the search bar on the µTorrent toolbar will eventually leverage the DHT searching facilities making µTorrent a decentralised-torrenting-certified client, which would be very cool, and it would become one of the first beyond the official client to do so.

Go µTorrent!

Also worth noticing in this equation is the fact that the bittorrent protocol doesn't really work well with simultaneous downloads at one time, stick to downloading one or two downloads at a time for maximum rates.

You got that right... :( unless you have a extremely fat pipe like our Swedish friends... :shock:

I actually noticed that because of this thread, and tried using ABC again and it IS faster, using the same trackers, same ports, same setup.

I love uTorrent for being easy on the resources and i'm sure it'll turn out

to be a great BT client... sometime soon.

i'll sure keep an eye on it.

Hooray uTorrent, indeed.

I actually noticed that because of this thread, and tried using ABC again and it IS faster, using the same trackers, same ports, same setup.

I love uTorrent for being easy on the resources and i'm sure it'll turn out

to be a great BT client... sometime soon.

i'll sure keep an eye on it.

Hooray uTorrent, indeed.

Settings, settings, settings,........

Settings, settings, settings,........

Indeed.

I think I'm going to live in Sweden... :shock:

I'm about to sign up for a 12Mbit/s line in Perth, Western Australia. Yes, our broadband facilities are finally catching up!

It was able to detect plenty of peers, it had 30(900). It just didn't connect to them very fast.

900 is an arbitrary figure to a torrenting app supplied by the tracker, it doesn't mean the app knows who those 900 are. Also you may be limited by the number of connections you're allowing uTorrent to make; was this the only torrent? If not, other torrents may have already hogged all the connections. Have a look in your settings (to reference BlackLion).

Archived